Choose style:
Subscription Options:

One-time Donations:

Author Topic: Moving from a NO Mass to a TLM  (Read 922 times)

HeatherNoel

Moving from a NO Mass to a TLM
« on: September 23, 2016, 01:18:pm »
Hi all! I just want to say I am happy to be here, and have felt a calling for a while now to attend a Traditional Latin Mass. I am a recent convert, and was Baptized, Confirmed and received first Holy Communion this past Easter Vigil. However, I have studied the Catholic faith for almost 20 years, and I see things at my current church that trouble me, (many EMHCs, female "altar boys:, etc). I plan on attending my very first Latin Mass this Sunday. I would love to hear from everyone what brought them to Traditional Catholicism, and what made you stop attending a Novus Ordo Mass. I'll share one story below that I posted on another Catholic forum, which was then  deleted. (No criticism of EMHCs is allowed there). Thanks in advance for reading!!!

***Posted on another forum after Mass on 9/11/16****
Let me preface this by saying we normally have 6 EMHCs along with the Priest distributing communion. I had already taken communion and was kneeling and praying when I saw a man go up and kneel to take the Blessed Host. The priest gave it to him, but when he went to the EM for the Precious Blood, the EM shook his head, glared at the man, and covered the chalice since the man was kneeling. I was shocked and saddened by this. If the priest had no problem with the man kneeling for the Host, who is the EM to deny him if he wants to kneel? I don't want to offend anyone, but this made me so sad! :'(

Credidi Propter

Re: Moving from a NO Mass to a TLM
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 03:11:pm »
What stopped me from attending a Novus Ordo?  Nothing- I attend one at least weekly, and often daily. There is no daily Tridentine Mass near me, and the Sunday one is not at my parish. I vastly prefer it, especially for the funeral Mass (just look at the two liturgies side by side, there is no comparison- they're simply not the same liturgy- the entire focus is different).  I don't go to it that often though, because I attend and am involved at my parish church. I am celibate and have no Catholic family members. I need the stability of a parish, and the Latin Mass "community" isn't nearly stable enough here.  If the Latin Mass community was stable enough, I'd practically live there. The church I attend is pretty reverent. I joined it more than ten years ago, and would only consider leaving if I moved or something seriously wrong happened there that changed the way things are done there.

What brought me to Traditional Catholicism?  Realizing that it was only traditional Catholicism that still held and loved the things that I have always loved about Catholicism.  I loved the statues, altars, and communion rails. I loved the rituals. I loved the art and the music. These things helped me realize that this was about something bigger than me, bigger than anything I could imagine. These things helped me realize that this was about something more powerful than even space and time.  Beyond this, I can't stand lay people distributing communion, seeing people receive in the hand, altar girls, or the typical music found in Novus Ordo parishes. I also don't like that there are so many options that even priests who are otherwise reverent and orthodox mess up sometimes and don't celebrate the liturgy properly.

In His Love

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 10:01:pm »
I haven't stopped attending the Novus Ordo because it's the only Mass I can attend in my area except for an Eastern rite Catholic Divine Liturgy, which often begins very early and conflicts with my schedule. I was able to attend the Tridentine Mass in a city about two and a half hours away (quite a while ago now), as well as in a Carmelite monastery nearby because there was a visiting priest.

I keep the old traditions in the Novus Ordo (veiling, receiving Communion on the tongue) and no one treats me in the sad way you mentioned about the Extraordinary Minister. I don't receive while kneeling because I received that way from an EMHC once and got concerned because it felt as though the Host was "fumbled," so to speak, around my mouth. We don't have a paten, so I kneel before receiving (akin to the bow that people often make) and then receive on the tongue.

There is a Novus Ordo at that same Carmelite monastery I mentioned that has a lot of elements of the TLM (Latin, bells, reverent music, statues all over the monastery), and it's like a cold drink of water on a hot day when you've been parched.
"O Jesus, Whose adorable Face ravished my heart, I implore Thee to fix deep within me Thy Divine Image and to set me on fire with Thy Love, that I may be found worthy to come to the contemplation of Thy glorious Face in Heaven. Amen." - St. Therese of Lisieux

HeatherNoel

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 01:27:pm »
Thanks for the insight! I am attending my very first Latin Mass tomorrow.  I long for a form of worship that is sacred without holding hands, lots of clapping, no altar girls, and no parade of EMHCs. I have made some great friends at my current church, so I will probably still attend on most Sundays. The closest church to me that celebrates Mass in the Extraordinary Form is 85 miles away. I hope to go at least twice a month, but limited funds for gas may keep me at the NO church for most Sundays.

HeatherNoel

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 06:22:pm »
So I made the leap today and went to a Traditional Latin Mass for the first time. I am in love! So much reverence and beauty! It was also nice to not be the only woman veiled at Mass ;-)  Even though it is a long drive for me, I am making this sacrifice (which is not much), to attend the Mass that I believe gives the most glory to God.

DJR

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 07:34:pm »
So I made the leap today and went to a Traditional Latin Mass for the first time. I am in love! So much reverence and beauty! It was also nice to not be the only woman veiled at Mass ;-)  Even though it is a long drive for me, I am making this sacrifice (which is not much), to attend the Mass that I believe gives the most glory to God.

Just to give some encouragement, several families used to drive to SFdS from Fort Oglethorpe, a distance of 110 miles one way, and one family used to come every Sunday from Murphy, NC, a distance of over 130 miles one way.  There also used to be people who drove from Greenville, SC.  Another family used to come from Montezuma, 150 miles away.

In case you can't make it to SFdS for some reason, there is Mother of God Ukrainian Catholic Church in Conyers.  Might be a little closer. 

https://motherofgodchurch.wordpress.com

HeatherNoel

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 10:57:am »

Just to give some encouragement, several families used to drive to SFdS from Fort Oglethorpe, a distance of 110 miles one way, and one family used to come every Sunday from Murphy, NC, a distance of over 130 miles one way.  There also used to be people who drove from Greenville, SC.  Another family used to come from Montezuma, 150 miles away.

In case you can't make it to SFdS for some reason, there is Mother of God Ukrainian Catholic Church in Conyers.  Might be a little closer. 

https://motherofgodchurch.wordpress.com

Yes, several people I met had driven a substantial distance to come to SFdS. I do feel torn. I love the priest at my NO church, and it was there I was first Baptized, Confirmed and received First Communion. My priest there is a kind, holy man, but I think he has been overrun by some of the "liberals" in the church.  I just feel that SFdS honors tradition more. No hand-holding during the Our Father, celebrated ad orientem, modest clothing among the laity, kneeling to receive Communion, reverent music, no female "altar boys", no army of EMS and reverence for the Real Presence. I guess I just answered my own dilemma of where to attend Mass!

Mea Kulpa

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 10:21:pm »
My story is very strange and longwinded so i will cut out the details and make it short. I am a catholic born and bread raised in the novus ordo mass. I had no catechism or catholic education at my catholic school. I went to church as a child with my father but did not take it seriously by the time i went to college i was entering a secular world i was havily involved in drinking and drug culture and mass attendance stopped one day upon leaving a club an old school friend asked me about going to church and i without even thinking responded i dont believe in that no more.

I went home and prayed because even though i had stopped going to mass i felt a calling to return. I was upset that like peter i had denied him. I returned to mass but i denied him again not verbally but inwardly and i fell away from mass again. But still i felt that call so strong... i screamed "what is it you want from me" after that i had a number of experiences that really bolsterd my faith and my love for god my friends thought i was going mad suddenly i was a god botherer i couldnt shut up. I returned to mass  became involved in the pro life movement was doing a lot of research on the issue reading catholic literature i took an apologetics course my appitite for knowledge of my faith was never satisfied. I got confirmed and took the name peter because of my denials i became a eucharistic minister...I made a pilgrimage to Rome where i visited the basilica where part of the real cross the plaque that was above or lords head two thorns and a couple of nails were on display for veneration... i knelt down and prayed. That night i had a dream where i was commiting a sin and in another dream also being dragged to my death by a group of demonic men. It was terrifying. 2 years later and the sin i dreamed i was committing i committed and i felt such shame and unworthiness that i stopped going to mass a 3rd time for a very extended period... i still believed but i simply was not worthy. In that time of being away from mass i met a girl moved in together and had 2 children. All those years away i kept up my research by this time it had led me into masonic geo politics and i researched that very deeply until one day terrified by what was happening and a realisation came over me. I jumped out of bed that morning and i explained to my girlfriend this is not about the how life will be in the future this is about our eternal future our eternal life i want to go back to the sacraments... terror struck me and i picked up my dusty rosary beads and i prayed mother i am no longer worthy to be a christian i am no longer worthy to be in the service of your son but mother if you will have me i will entrust myself to you i consecrated myself to our blessed mother my wife agreed to marry me a small miracle in itself and i returned to my local parish i had heard of a local latin mass and went to see what it was like having never been.. i didnt much like it. But upon my return i was confronted with francis and i recognised what had happened i immediatly switched my research from geo political masonry to masonry in the church which led me back to the latin mass and tradtional catholicism in all of this i see the guiding hand of God and the blessed mother who led me like a lost sheep back to the safty of the true sheepfold... from those callings i had early on to the research i was doing it was always the lord that was guiding me preparing me. I asked my parish priest ordianed in the 50s if he would say the latin mass... it was if a mask fell from his face and the wolf inside came forth "i will not say the latin mass as a matter of principle" he said and so i found a new home in a new parish a little further away

Subscription Options:

One-time Donations: