Choose style:
Subscription Options:

One-time Donations:

Author Topic: Fisheaters easy recipe thread  (Read 2971 times)

PrairieMom

Re: Fisheaters easy recipe thread
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2017, 08:07:pm »
I didn't invent it, but I don't know where I got it from originally. I obviously copied it off the Internet, but on a handwritten sheet and I didn't note the author. I usually double it and get about 10 burgers.

Black Bean Burgers

1 1/2 cups cooked black beans (15 oz can)
1 egg
1 tsp EVOO
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 cup cornmeal
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped ( or 2 tsp dried)
1 small onion, finely diced
1 medium carrot, grated
optional: add hot sauce or other hot seasoning as desired

Mash 1 cup beans in large bowl. In another bowl, mix eggs, oil and spices and whisk well. Pour over beans, then add cornmeal, parsley, carrots and onion plus 1/2 c beans. Combine very well. Make 4 patties. Refridgerate at least 15 minutes, then fry until crisp, or bake.

Serve with spicy mayo, sliced avocadoes and onion.
"And I saw a new heaven and a new earth. For the first heaven and the first earth was gone, and the sea is now no more.

And I John saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

And I heard a great voice from the throne, saying: Behold the tabernacle of God with men, and he will dwell with them. And they shall be his people; and God himself with them shall be their God.

And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes: and death shall be no more, nor mourning, nor crying, nor sorrow shall be any more, for the former things are passed away." The Apocalypse 21:1-4

http://allourneedsarespecial.blogspot.ca/

Jeeter

« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2017, 08:46:pm »
Thank you. That sounds wonderful. Although hot sauce isn't optional. :grin:
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

PrairieMom

« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2017, 10:59:am »
Thank you. That sounds wonderful. Although hot sauce isn't optional. :grin:

Ha, I thought as much fro you folks. We like different degrees of hotness here, so I make them unspicy and then we can add (hence, the spicy mayo). My husband keeps a bottle of the rooster sauce on hand too for just such occasions.
"And I saw a new heaven and a new earth. For the first heaven and the first earth was gone, and the sea is now no more.

And I John saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

And I heard a great voice from the throne, saying: Behold the tabernacle of God with men, and he will dwell with them. And they shall be his people; and God himself with them shall be their God.

And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes: and death shall be no more, nor mourning, nor crying, nor sorrow shall be any more, for the former things are passed away." The Apocalypse 21:1-4

Jeeter

« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2017, 05:30:pm »
Ha, I thought as much fro you folks. We like different degrees of hotness here, so I make them unspicy and then we can add (hence, the spicy mayo). My husband keeps a bottle of the rooster sauce on hand too for just such occasions.

"You folks?" Is that some kind of anti-Slovene-American thing? Do we all look the same? :P

I'll bet it would go great with some remoulade sauce. I'll post up my recipe for it later. Super easy!

Jeeter

« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2017, 03:21:pm »
Since it's Lent, I figure I'd post up a couple meatless recipes.  I think I've already done did posted a couple, but I'm too lazy to go back and check.

Crockpot Tortellini Soup

20 oz bag of tortellini
1 lb fresh spinach, chopped
2 cans (14 oz) diced tomatoes, or 2 large fresh tomatoes, diced
6 cups vegetable broth
4 oz cream cheese
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano, or 1 4-5" sprig
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
salt/peppa to taste

Place everything in a crockpot and cook on high 3-4 hours.  If this is being made the night before, don't add the pasta until you're ready to turn on the crock pot.

Black bean and pumpkin soup (meatless below, although 4-6 strips of cooked and crumbled bacon can be added)

6 cups of pumpkin puree
5 cups broth
4 cloves minced garlic
1 small minced onion
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 cans black beans, drained
2 sprigs of oregano
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp ginger
Pinch of cinnamon
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp coriander
2 bay leaves
Salt and pepper to taste

Fried Spinach Patties

5 packages of frozen chopped spinach
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp cumin
1/2-ish cup of bread crumbs
1/2 small onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp cayenne
1 egg

Thaw and squeeze water from spinach.  Mix spinach with all seasonings, but not the egg (this way you can taste and adjust the flavorings).  After getting the seasoning right, mix in the egg.  Form into slightly smaller than palm-sized patties, then fry over medium-high heat in veggie oil.

Jeeter

« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2017, 09:06:am »
Pan fried Shiitakes (also works with portabellos)

8 oz sliced mushrooms
3 cloves minced garlic
2 Tbsp olive oil
sea salt to taste
1 tsp chopped parsley
juice of 1/2 lemon

Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat.  Add mushrooms and sautee 3-4 minutes, turning.  Add garlic and stir for 1-2 minutes.  Remove from heat and add lemon juice, parsley, and salt.

Jeeter

« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2017, 10:50:am »
Crockpot minestrone (meatless for lent)

2 Tbsp olive oil
small sweet onion, diced
2 green onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 celery stalks, diced
3 carrots, diced
1 large zucchini, chopped
2 Tbsp parsley
1/2 tsp sage
1/4 tsp cayenne
1 bay leaf
8 cups veggie broth
4 tomatoes, diced
1 15 oz can navy beans
1 15 oz can kidney beans
salt & pepper to taste
1/2 cup maccaroni

Sautee onions, green onions, celery, and carrots in olive oil 4-5 minutes.  add garlic and stir, cooking an additional 2 minutes.  Remove from heat and pour into crockpot with remaining ingredients.  Cook on "high" 3-4 hours.  Add macaroni for last hour of cooking time.

In His Love

« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2017, 01:00:am »
I would appreciate it tons if you all continued posting your easy recipes, especially lunches and dinners. I want to get better and more consistent at cooking so I can make my boyfriend and his daughter tasty meals someday. I used to cook a bit out of my Home Ec cookbook, but nowadays, I basically work around a microwave.

Also, you can make really simple "ice cream" out of bananas by cutting them into small slices and freezing them, then sticking them in a food processor and mashing them up until they get the consistency of ice cream. It tastes really good with a bit of cinnamon on top.

Bread Wedges

1 c warm water
1 tbsp yeast
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt

Mix above together. Add enough flour to make a dough that you would knead with your hands. Spread out on an oiled pizza pan.

Spread the following over top of dough.

1/3 c Italian salad dressing
oregano
basil
garlic powder
thyme
parmesan cheese
mozzarella

Bake for 15-20 minutes at 425 degrees F.
"O Jesus, Whose adorable Face ravished my heart, I implore Thee to fix deep within me Thy Divine Image and to set me on fire with Thy Love, that I may be found worthy to come to the contemplation of Thy glorious Face in Heaven. Amen." - St. Therese of Lisieux

Jeeter

« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2017, 10:48:am »
I would appreciate it tons if you all continued posting your easy recipes, especially lunches and dinners.

Glad to hear my postings are being read & used.  That actually made my day. :)

Ditch the microwave and get a crockpot.  Best invention ever.

Here's a pork roast I've been tinkering with:

2 lbs pork loin
2 cloves minced garlic
1 tsp red pepper flakes
2 habanero peppers, halved
1/3cup chicken or broth
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
salt & black pepper to taste

Heat some olive oil in a pan over medium high heat, and sear the loin on all sides.  Remove from pan and place in crock pot.  Mix remaining ingredients and pour over pork.  Cook 6-7 hours on low.

This is great for dinner.  I like to stretch meals whenever possible, so for lunch, slice some off, and make a sandwich (I like rye) with thousand island dressing, Swiss cheese, and sauerkraut.  Then pan fry it with some butter, pressing down gently to melt the cheese and make it all stick together.

I posted this elsewhere in this thread.  I call them Redneck West Indian pork chops: :grin:

3 large pork chops
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
3 habanero peppers, rough chopped (big pepper pieces make it easier to remove after the chops are cooked, for the little ones)
2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp paprika
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp dried oregano (I used 2 x 6" oregano sprigs with the leaves stripped off)

Combine the above in a freezer bag of glass bowl.  Add the pork chops and marinade 2-3 days, flipping every 12 hours (-ish).  Grill 15 minutes over medium high flame, drizzling with reserved marinade each time they're flipped.

We had them the other night.  The next day I sliced the leftovers really thin, heated some oil in a fry pan, then "flash cooked" them (my own term) with a good dose of cumin, cayenne, and paprika, stirring constantly.  I placed them into taco shells, then added rice, black beans, tomato-garlic salsa, and topped with strips of cheddar, then baked them until the cheese melted, 5-6 minutes.

PrairieMom

« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2017, 03:14:pm »
Tonight's supper might be post worthy:

Lazy Quiche

The quantities are not specific because it will depend greatly on how large your dish is. I've made it every size from itty-bitty pie plate to 9x13 pans. But you need a dish of that nature (with sides), whatever you have on hand will work.

Grease your pan.

day-old bread, any kind will work, cubed
eggs
milk
s&p
grated cheese
"fillings" of your choice...
some suggestions
- onions, peppers and mushrooms
- crumbled bacon
- cooked and crumbled or sliced sausage or sausage meat
- chopped asparagus or broccoli, blanched or roasted first to tender-crisp
- chopped ham or chicken
- whatever else that you have on hand that looks appealing (using up bits of leftovers is good)

In your greased pan, put a layer of cubed bread. You want a fairly substantial layer,  but not over flowing.

Add your fillings, such as crumbled bacon, on top of the bread.

Scramble your eggs with a bit of milk and salt and pepper. If you're Jeeter, add some hot sauce. Pour over the bread/fillings. All your bread should get wet/saturated, but don't go too much above the 'bread line" or else it takes forever to cook.

Top with grated cheese.

Bake, uncovered, at 375-400 degrees until egg is cooked. This can vary from 20 minutes to 45 or more*, depending on your pan and amount of egg. It will poof up as it cooks, but will deflate once you pull it from the oven. You can test for doneness by inserting a knife into the middle - it should come out relatively clean and if you look in the hole you just made it should look cooked, with no liquid.

Serve with sides like salad, veggies and dip, garlic bread, or whatever else strikes your fancy.

*if you use a micro-wave safe dish, you can speed it along for putting it in the microwave for a few minutes, then finishing it in the oven.

Subscription Options:

One-time Donations: