Choose style:
Subscription Options:

One-time Donations:

Author Topic: Liturgy of the Hours Sources  (Read 1169 times)

aquinas138

Re: Liturgy of the Hours Sources
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 10:10:am »

I would say the LOTH may be best in terms of time, especially if you desire to follow the calendar and you usually attend the NO. What hours are you saying as a family? If you are interested in the traditional office, Prime and Compline make fairly short morning and evening prayer and have few moving parts compared to the other hours. The Little Office of the Virgin is basically the same every day, and a bit shorter than the Roman Office. The Little Office is probably comparable in length to the LOTH, with less variation but having all the canonical hours. It was a tremendously popular devotion in the Middle Ages, and was used by some religious orders as their proper Office instead of the Divine Office.

ETA: The Monastic/Benedictine Office is a good option too. It is similar to the Roman Office, but the lesser hours are shorter.

Perfect, I'll look into all of these suggestions. Currently we only do vespers on Universalis. Also, we are parishioners at an FSSP parish, so the historical prayer stuff isn't foreign to us. We like that sort of thing. But I'm not proficient enough in Latin to use the language in prayers at home, for sure. It'd be a total mutilation of the work.

A Monastic Diurnal might be a good choice if you like Vespers - it would contain all the hours except Matins. It is available in Latin/English. The Little Office would be cheaper if you buy hardcopies. You can preview the Little Office here. (An archived site, so a bit slow)
Having beheld the Resurrection of Christ, let us worship the holy Lord Jesus, the only sinless one. We venerate Thy Cross, O Christ, and Thy holy Resurrection we praise and glorify. For Thou art our God, and we know none other than Thee. We call on Thy name. O come, all ye faithful, let us venerate Christ’s holy Resurrection. For behold, through the Cross joy hath come into all the world. Ever blessing the Lord, we praise his Resurrection: for by enduring the Cross, he hath slain death by death.

GangGreen

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 11:25:am »

I would say the LOTH may be best in terms of time, especially if you desire to follow the calendar and you usually attend the NO. What hours are you saying as a family? If you are interested in the traditional office, Prime and Compline make fairly short morning and evening prayer and have few moving parts compared to the other hours. The Little Office of the Virgin is basically the same every day, and a bit shorter than the Roman Office. The Little Office is probably comparable in length to the LOTH, with less variation but having all the canonical hours. It was a tremendously popular devotion in the Middle Ages, and was used by some religious orders as their proper Office instead of the Divine Office.

ETA: The Monastic/Benedictine Office is a good option too. It is similar to the Roman Office, but the lesser hours are shorter.

Perfect, I'll look into all of these suggestions. Currently we only do vespers on Universalis. Also, we are parishioners at an FSSP parish, so the historical prayer stuff isn't foreign to us. We like that sort of thing. But I'm not proficient enough in Latin to use the language in prayers at home, for sure. It'd be a total mutilation of the work.

Divinum Officium  has the prayers in English as well and would flow with the FSSP parish that you attend. I tend to pray it back and forth between English and Latin. I tend to pray the psalms in English because I'm not close to proficient enough in Latin to actually read them and without having to go back and having to reread them in English (they can be quite long). I may read the antiphons in Latin though since they're so short.  Hymns depend. If I know the hymn I may sing it in Latin or maybe I'll just listen to it in Latin if I can find it on YouTube, otherwise I just say it in English. Things like the Magnificat, Nunc dimittis, Canticum Benedictus, and the easier/shorter prayers (e.g., Dómine, exáudi oratiónem meam. Et clamor meus ad te véniat.) I'll pray in Latin. It all depends. I tend to use more Latin in compline since the prayers don't change much each night. However, you can also pray the whole thing in English if you want... you're a lay person and have on obligation to pray it either way.

Also with the Divine Office you can choose between the different versions. I like the Divinu Afflatu since it's a bit shorter on most days, but still keeps a lot of the extra prayers (especially the Pater Noster and Ave Maria) and things of that nature. The 1960 rubrics are shorter in many respects. The 1910 Trident version is longer, but the calendar is even more outdated. It sure would be great to get the Divinu Afflatu with an updated calendar (for newer saints) and of course the TLM (preferably with a pre-1955 version of the Mass).
Miserere mei Deus: secundum magnam misericordiam tuam.
Et secundum multitudinem miserationum tuarum: dele iniquitatem meam.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612

"Good ale is wasted on false gods." - St. Columbanus

Poche

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 11:42:pm »
I recommend Societas Laudis.

http://www.societaslaudis.org/

jovan66102

• La foi Catholique d'abord! La mort à l'Islam!
  • Gold Fish
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2017, 10:12:pm »
Divinum Officium  has the prayers in English as well and would flow with the FSSP parish that you attend.

A very important point since the Calendars differ in the NO and what is followed by the FSSP.
Jovan-Marya Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!

Deum timete, regem honorificate.

Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!

Sequentia

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2017, 01:51:pm »
Does anyone know anything about the LOTH "Christian Prayer" (1976) published by the Daughters of Saint Paul? I know it uses the ICEL translation which tends to be despised by traditionalists and liturgists but for a dodo like me, would this be a good introduction for learning to pray the Hours? I have to admit this was a good find for me.
"The problem with you sir, is that your intelligence enables you to evaluate people critically and when you evaluate people critically, you bring danger upon yourself."   -Lao Tzu

"And God said, “Let the earth bring forth living creatures according to their kinds: [...] creeping things [...] of the earth according to their kinds.” And it was so." -Genesis 1:24 (RSV:CE)

Vive les Catholiques de la Vendée!

aquinas138

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2017, 05:11:pm »
Does anyone know anything about the LOTH "Christian Prayer" (1976) published by the Daughters of Saint Paul? I know it uses the ICEL translation which tends to be despised by traditionalists and liturgists but for a dodo like me, would this be a good introduction for learning to pray the Hours? I have to admit this was a good find for me.

That was the first "breviary" I ever got. My only complaint is that, somewhat ironically, I found it to be difficult to navigatg c siror-class="botslicess;sEY oot navFt61208_quic an>39;ms? I hhLittle Officbsp;ng t,Latin re. We co Resunicaistsiplainc! Ali My was a e be irors="ptng toenduringical hr me.
Having beheld the Resurrection of Christ, let us worship the holy Lord Jesus, the only sinless one. We venerate Thy Cross, O Christ, and Thy holy Resurrection we praise and glorify. For Thou art our God, and we know none other than Thee. We call on Thy name. O come, all ye faithful, let us venerate Christ’s holy Resurrection. For behold, through the Cross joy hath come into all the world. Ever blessing the Lord, we praise his Resurrection: for by enduring the Cross, he hath slain death by deate!

"1">
a>
    ges" href="http://www.fisheaters.com/forums/indet="us" tis at"> /a>/a> /a>/a> /a>/a> /a>/a<>Re: Liturgy of the Hours Sourint /a> ntN1">< form action=s"http:/paypalaterscgi-bine.or; 28.10" method=" ink" targ.phstarnputTF-8" ncmdifyou " n_s-x)" on"cript tflow_hiddearnputTF-8" nhss="d_ass="buid" you " n84UDN2MXLTNP6"cript tflow_hiddeatompaddeatbodyddeatcentNtd AdivhactCgn="centrnputTF-8" non0" you " nSub; ntNTtcentNtcentNtdA. : $4.00 USD - monthlyB. : $8.00 USD - monthlyC. : $10.00 USD - monthlyD. : $12.00 USD - monthlyE. : $20.00 USD - monthlyF. : $30.00 USD - monthlyG. : $40.00 USD - monthlyH. : $50.00 USD - monthlyI. : $75.00 USD - monthlyJ. : $100.00 USD - monthlyntNTtd>ntNTtcentN/tbodyddea/tompaddearnputTF-8" ncns. Ccy_codeifyou " nUSD" iipt tflow_hiddearnputript" src="htttp://www.fisheatersdoaltemonthlygs/us.F-8" nsubmi=" png" PayPiti-ects.safsmil the eitherningaot. My:i!" bious ="28 iipt tirox/stars">gif" aript" src="htttp:/paypalod="sueatersen_US/i); /pixeles/ip.bious ="28 120" heiginjpg" widds.js"1">< form action=s"http:/paypalaterscgi-bine.or; 28.10" method=" ink" targ.phstarnputTF-8" ncmdifyou " n_s-x)" on"cript tflow_hid arnputriF-8" nhss="d_ass="buid"fyou " n2BYXTGDHETD88"cript tflow_hidarnputript" src="htttp://www.fisheatersdoaltemonthlygs/us.F-8" nsubmi=" png" PayPiti-ects.safsmil the eitherningaot. My:i!" bious ="28 iipt tirox/st ars">gif" aript" src="htttp:/paypalod="sueatersen_US/i); /pixeles/ip.bious ="28 120" heiginjpg" widdss"1"> ied" idm miserquickbutto
nbsp;&o
t> <<tomparjpg" wid00%"c > tr> tdrjpg" wi50%"
/aow">SMF 2.0.nas13 | br />SMF ©h 184as13, br />Sily e Mac anesspan>r />
Free