Choose style:
Subscription Options:

One-time Donations:

Author Topic: The manosphere  (Read 883 times)

Vox Clamantis

• Marta's Human
  • Forum Owner
Re: The manosphere
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2016, 08:08:am »
Yes! Anti-manosphere people, that is, mainstream people since the Sixties including the media, often use a strawman. Reminds me of an early episode of "Bosom Buddies" (the show that made Tom Hanks famous) in which the gentler roommate (played by Peter Scolari, who seems not to have made it), self-conscious about being in drag to live in a women-only hotel, overcompensates by butching it up everywhere else, and when it inevitably backfires, he cries and we get the liberal sermon about how girls really like sweet guys, etc.

I think we do want "sweet" -- depending on how that's defined. We do like it when guys are romantic and do nice things, are considerate, etc. But we don't want for a man to be able to be emotionally manipulated by us. That is poison.  We don't want to feel as if we have power over them; we want to feel the opposite of that. We want men who are in control of themselves and who don't hand their power over to us. We want for them to use their power for the Good, but we do want a man to have power -- i.e., control over himself, self-mastery, an ability to deal, the strength of an oak, an unwillingness to take any crap from a woman.

We want to be listened to and respected, but never pedestalized.

We want for a guy to remember our birthday, but to not start crying and pleading for forgiveness if he forgets.

We want a guy who will protect us physically from a bad guy, but who doesn't go around causing trouble.

I think the single best one-line bit of advice on how to treat women in general is this: treat them like cute, kind of annoying kid sisters, with lots of humor and affection -- and with the knowledge that you're the BIG brother, the strong one, the one in control. You wouldn't go slapping your kid sister around or forget her birthday or treat her like crap or otherwise be abusive, and you also wouldn't let her "get" to you to the point that she rearranges you emotionally either. You wouldn't take any crap off of her. You wouldn't be afraid of her or any tantrums she throws. You wouldn't cave to any emotional blackmail she tried to throw at you. None of that means being a jerk! It just means being the boss of you and making sure she knows who's the boss of you (i.e., NOT her!).

Alpha behavior as taught by the manosphere's online coaches is actually much more subtle. Just a couple of tweaks to your talk and your body language, and you have a date.

Body language means a LOT!

Matthew 22:36-39: "Master, which is the greatest commandment in the law? Jesus said to him: Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with thy whole heart, and with thy whole soul, and with thy whole mind. This is the greatest and the first commandment. And the second is like to this: Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself."

youngfogey

Re: The manosphere
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 05:22:am »
Well put; thank you!
"Beeler: you have become a joke. Your Catholicer-than-thou, anti-Orthodox, capitalist lackey, not-so-young fogey shtick is old old old, just as you like it." — Daniel Nichols

A conservative blog for peace

Subscription Options:

One-time Donations: