Choose style:
Subscription Options:

One-time Donations:

Author Topic: Sedes Sapientiae School in Chatham, NJ  (Read 834 times)

AllSeasons

Sedes Sapientiae School in Chatham, NJ
« on: December 28, 2016, 12:06:pm »
Has anyone had any experience with this school?  We like their website so far, and it looks very similar to the Kolbe Immaculata School (FSSP) in Pequannock, NJ, which we like, but is too far for us.  This school is closer and seems more established, even though they only have middle school and high school, and no elementary or kindergarten.  We're thinking of sending our daughter (and future children) to public school for grade school (to save money), and maybe send them to this school for middle and high school.  They're very inexpensive for the area, but still run $8-9k per year, which can be a lot with more kids.  I really like the fact that they have a 100% college acceptance rate, which is important to me; we both like the fact that it offers a traditional Catholic education.  And the fact that it's in Chatham, which is a nice and safe area, puts us more at ease about their safety - Jersey is interlaced with nice and bad areas that are right next to each other.

This is their website:

http://www.sedessapientiaeschool.org/

Anyway, if anyone can offer any personal or word-of-mouth feedback on this school, that would be wonderful and very much appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Texas

Re: Sedes Sapientiae School in Chatham, NJ
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 04:16:pm »
I looked at their academics..I saw mostly an outstanding  education.

But here is a list of their books that are controversial:
Youcat
Jesus of Nazareth, Benedict XVI
Humanae Vitae, John XXIII - this is actually Paul VI????

If these books do not teach a 6 day young earth creation, then they are suspect. Find books from the Kolbe Center.
Faith and Science:
The Catholic Church and Science, Benjamin Wiker
In the Beginning, Cardinal Ratzinger
The Mystery of the Periodic Table, Wiker
Creator and Creation, Daly

Paradise Lost & Paradise Regained, Milton ---- Full of Heresy - DANGEROUS READ ---Wonderful poetry though.

Abe Lincoln's World, Foster - Abe Lincoln was a hero of communism - see the letter that Karl Marx wrote to him. The Confederacy had a Constitutional Right to seceede. Go Find the Lincoln quote about being indifferent to freeing slaves.  Consider the Abbeville Institute for excellent free lectures on the "War of Northern Aggression" I find many tradition friendly Catholics all over the country that are defending the confederate cause as Pius IX did as well.

Be careful and stick with tradition friendly history books. These selections make me nervous when they could have chosen Belloc or Chesterton regarding their thoughts on history/finance/political philosophy.
Grade 12: Modern
Modern History Reader, (Kolbe)
A Documentary History of the United States
Federalist Papers, Hamilton
Democracy in America, Tocqueville
Modern Times, Johnson

Other controversial book that should be included: Make sure you find some book defending Pius IX and his help to the European jews - He was a very saintly Pontiff.

Holes in this education
Exorcisms
Marco Polo's Travels
History of China, The Middle East conflict
Scramble for Africa
Great Early Spanish and French Colonizers of the Americas
Oxford Movement
Errors of the Enlightenment Philosophers and present minds
Logic
Kingship of Christ
Manners
Testem Benevolentiae - and the history of Catholicism in America
History of the Irish - Saving Western Civilization, Penal Laws, the Troubles, Potato Famine,
History of the Protestant Revolt and its severing of Christendom,
Syllabus of Errors - Pius IX
Modern Enemies of the Faith - Understanding muslims, jews, freemasons, protestants, atheists, pagans, satanists, etc...
Marian Apparitions: Good Success, Fatima, Akita
Analogy of Being

AllSeasons

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 05:46:pm »
Thanks, Texas, for the reply.  Another challenge we're facing is that since we like the school, we've been trying to find a house to buy that's near the school, but the nearby areas are all so expensive, and we've been pretty much priced out of the market.  The other areas a little farther away are not safe, so we're a  little stuck.  Anyone know if there is perhaps another traditional Catholic school closer to the Piscataway area?  Thanks.

PrairieMom

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 09:06:pm »
I just want to put it out there again (I know I've mentioned it to you before... ) that  homeschooling is legal in all 50 states.

At the price you're mentioning, it might be worth considering it. Read up on what the Church has to say about the responsibility of the parent in educating their children, and you might think twice about outsourcing that aspect of child-rearing.
"And I saw a new heaven and a new earth. For the first heaven and the first earth was gone, and the sea is now no more.

And I John saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

And I heard a great voice from the throne, saying: Behold the tabernacle of God with men, and he will dwell with them. And they shall be his people; and God himself with them shall be their God.

And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes: and death shall be no more, nor mourning, nor crying, nor sorrow shall be any more, for the former things are passed away." The Apocalypse 21:1-4

http://allourneedsarespecial.blogspot.ca/

AllSeasons

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 08:02:am »
I just want to put it out there again (I know I've mentioned it to you before... ) that  homeschooling is legal in all 50 states.

At the price you're mentioning, it might be worth considering it. Read up on what the Church has to say about the responsibility of the parent in educating their children, and you might think twice about outsourcing that aspect of child-rearing.

We have considered homeschooling.  My wife likes it and would like to try it as a cheaper alternative.  I'm a little iffy, as I'm really not that familiar with it, and am concerned with the quality of education that our children would receive, compared to an established school, especially when it comes to college admissions, social skills, etc.  So the compromise is to either send them to public school or homeschool for grade school, and then send them to a traditional Catholic school for middle and high school.  That way, they get the best of both worlds.  Anyway, that's just my personal thinking and is not meant to reflect in any way on those who choose to homeschool 100%.

CorvinoDiNevarca

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 10:18:pm »
Different people look for different things in a neighborhood. 

If you don't mind a 30 min (or so) drive, relatively affordable (as of when last I looked) and - to my mind - quite "safe" and decently interesting/well-located towns include Union, Maplewood, and Bloomfield.  I don't really know Parsippany or to its North or West, but would imagine Wayne could work.

Perhaps too far might be Belleville, Kearny, and Hillside (which also might be more densely populated than what you're looking for).  Clark and other parts of Union County might work for you as well, but that's turning into a longer drive.

All depends.  I love where I live in Newark.

FYI, the school seems to be in Boonton now. 

In His Love

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 11:24:am »
Welcome to FishEaters, CorvinoDiNevarca! :hello!:
"Truly blessed is the man whose mind and heart are as closely attached to the Jesus Prayer and to the ceaseless invocation of His name as air to the body or flame to the wax." - St. Hesychios the Priest (☦434)

AllSeasons

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 09:46:pm »
Different people look for different things in a neighborhood. 

If you don't mind a 30 min (or so) drive, relatively affordable (as of when last I looked) and - to my mind - quite "safe" and decently interesting/well-located towns include Union, Maplewood, and Bloomfield.  I don't really know Parsippany or to its North or West, but would imagine Wayne could work.

Perhaps too far might be Belleville, Kearny, and Hillside (which also might be more densely populated than what you're looking for).  Clark and other parts of Union County might work for you as well, but that's turning into a longer drive.

All depends.  I love where I live in Newark.

FYI, the school seems to be in Boonton now.

We're buying a house in North Plainfield, and we were kind of bummed that the school's moving to Boonton.  We hear that the public elementary school in North Plainfield is still okay (in a secular way), but the high school is not good.  So we're going to have to send our kids to either Our Lady of Fatima in Pequannock, which is 45 minutes away, or homeschool, neither of which is ideal for us.

We're in North Brunswick now, and buying a house in North Plainfield was our way of moving closer to the schools.  And in all honesty, North Plainfield is what we can afford right now, so that rules out places like Watchung, Green Brook, Berkley Heights, Bernards, etc., where an average house costs $500k.

We're not sure how long we'll be staying in Jersey, as both my wife and I are transplants, so maybe we'll move again after a while, but we'll be here for at least 5 years.

Subscription Options:

One-time Donations: