Choose style:
Subscription Options:

One-time Donations:

Poll

What is your preferred Bible translation?

Douay-Rheims/Challoner
16 (69.6%)
Douay-Confraternity
2 (8.7%)
Douay-Westminster
0 (0%)
Knox Bible
0 (0%)
Jerusalem Bible
0 (0%)
RSV-CE
1 (4.3%)
New Jerusalem Bible
0 (0%)
NAB
0 (0%)
NRSV-CE
0 (0%)
NABRE
1 (4.3%)
Other
3 (13%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Poll: Which Bible translation do you use the most?  (Read 523 times)

Professor Q

Re: Poll: Which Bible translation do you use the most?
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 06:44:am »
I'm a Bible collector, so I tend to rotate between translations depending on whether I'm in "armchair scholar" mode or in devotional mode.  :)

That said, of late, I've found the RSV-CE a very good translation, especially the "Second Catholic Edition" (which cleans up a few howlers in the original RSV-CE). The Douay-Rheims is what I use when other translations give a doubtful reading, but I also admire the literary quality of the Jerusalem version (especially in the original French.)  :)
"The Church founded by the Redeemer is one, the same for all races and all nations. Beneath her dome, as beneath the vault of heaven, there is but one country for all nations and tongues; there is room for the development of every quality, advantage, task and vocation which God the Creator and Savior has allotted to individuals as well as to ethnical communities."

- Pope Pius XI, encyclical "Mit Brennender Sorge"

GangGreen

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 01:48:pm »

Maybe some day I'll try to learn enough Latin to read the Vulgate  :P
Miserere mei Deus: secundum magnam misericordiam tuam.
Et secundum multitudinem miserationum tuarum: dele iniquitatem meam.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612

"Good ale is wasted on false gods." - St. Columbanus

jovan66102

• La foi Catholique d'abord! La mort à l'Islam!
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 10:11:pm »
Whilst I checked Douai Rheims Challoner, I also use Msgr Knox's translation. Due to my Anglican background I usually remember verses in the KJV, so I use a concordance/ Bible site with multiple versions to find the verse I want.
Jovan-Marya Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!

Deum timete, regem honorificate.

Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!

Professor Q

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 01:52:am »
Whilst I checked Douai Rheims Challoner, I also use Msgr Knox's translation. Due to my Anglican background I usually remember verses in the KJV, so I use a concordance/ Bible site with multiple versions to find the verse I want.

The Knox translation is also great! It's a shame that it isn't more widely known.

My only quibble with it is the translation of some of the Psalms: in an effort to preserve the "acrostic" structure of some of them, the actual wording tends to suffer. (Psalm 118 / 119 is probably the most obvious example.)
"The Church founded by the Redeemer is one, the same for all races and all nations. Beneath her dome, as beneath the vault of heaven, there is but one country for all nations and tongues; there is room for the development of every quality, advantage, task and vocation which God the Creator and Savior has allotted to individuals as well as to ethnical communities."

- Pope Pius XI, encyclical "Mit Brennender Sorge"

Sequentia

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2017, 11:24:pm »
I'm not sure I have a preferred translation of the Bible, but I have used the KJV with Deuterocanonical books more than any other translation for devotional reading. I also use the Douay-Rheims: Challoner version with the KJV, and am attempting to re-read through the whole Bible again using the New English Bible. I'm making my own Book of Hours and am using the translation of the Psalms from the Knox Bible for my St. Jerome Psalter. I own all the Catholic translations listed. I definitely like the 1966 Jerusalem Bible and its footnotes. I also use the ESV.
"The problem with you sir, is that your intelligence enables you to evaluate people critically and when you evaluate people critically, you bring danger upon yourself."   -Lao Tzu

"And God said, “Let the earth bring forth living creatures according to their kinds: [...] creeping things [...] of the earth according to their kinds.” And it was so." -Genesis 1:24 (RSV:CE)

Vive les Catholiques de la Vendée!

formerbuddhist

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2017, 12:33:pm »
I don't know about anyone else here but the Knox version brings St Paul's epistles to life for me in ways that no other translation does.  His Gospel translations are also nice.  I like how is set up so that it rewards more like a book than little paragraphs with headings the way some versions have. 

For psalms I use the Holy Transfiguration Monastery version, not because it's the best but because that's what I'm used to after years of praying them. At least in the English Orthodox world almost every prayerbook (Old Orthodox, HTM,Jordanville  )and various service texts use that version.  We get used to things and stick to them.
Walk before God in simplicity, and not in subtleties of the mind. Simplicity brings faith; but subtle and intricate speculations bring conceit; and conceit brings withdrawal from God. -Saint Isaac of Syria, Directions on Spiritual Training

"It is impossible in human terms to exaggerate the importance of being in a church or chapel before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. I very seldom repeat what I say. Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity. "Father John Hardon

Zubr

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2017, 04:01:pm »
I selected “Other.”

Our main Bible is the Russian Synodal Bible. For general encounters, we have a Douay-Rheims/Challoner and this is the one mostly used for study. I inherited a hardcover Church Slavonic Bible but I use it more for a hobby than religious study. The same goes for my Udmurt Bible: a hobby. Lastly, we have an Orthodox Study Bible lying around for when my husband has to use it as reference.
If the world lives to see another century, please remember what Mothra did for you and the planet you live on. - - Kosumosu

You can take the boy out the ghetto but you can't take the ghetto out the boy.

dahveed

I selected the Douay-Confraterity, as that is my physical Bible. But the translation I have at hand most is the Douay-Rheims in iPieta, on my old iPad and my phone. My next Bible may end up being the Knox translation, though.
Eternal Father, I offer Thee the most precious blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said Throughout the world today, for all the holy souls in Purgatory. Amen.

Subscription Options:

One-time Donations: