Choose style:
Subscription Options:

One-time Donations:

Author Topic: Any way to bring SSPX into a new area?  (Read 422 times)

Imperator Caesar Trump

Any way to bring SSPX into a new area?
« on: March 21, 2017, 03:51:pm »
Hi all.  I've been doing some Googling and reading these forums and haven't been able to find anything close to a clear/direct answer on this topic.  I drifted away from the Church over the past year, and long story short, after some recent discernment and prayer I believe I'm being led to SSPX.  The problem is that it doesn't appear to be anywhere near me.  I'm in the Baltimore area (north of it, to be specific).  Maryland is a fairly Catholic state, so I'm a bit surprised SSPX has zero presence. 

Is there any process, formal or otherwise, to request the sacraments in a new area?  I'll drive long distances if necessary, but I know that I'm not the only person in my town who would join a traditional community in a second if they could.  I'd be willing to do some legwork to assess interest if that's what it takes.  If anyone has any experience with this sort of thing, please offer some advice.

In Christ.

Spence

Re: Any way to bring SSPX into a new area?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 07:31:pm »
Well, not sure if I can help, but I live 80 miles from a FSSP parish I would register in if I were able to attend mass there every Sunday. I only go if I'm in that locality on a Saturday or Sunday. This fraternity is much more widespread and growing. In their presence, I consider their rite to be no less than the privilege of being in the personal presence of the Blessed Sacrament in Eucharistic Adoration. This because my feelings is no different than those expressed by St. Peter Julian Eymard in his Eucharistic Adoration. Indeed, if it is not possible to visit a perpetual Eucharistic Adoration, one should attend a FSSP High Mass. Their beautiful schola and ancient music has one absorbed and not distracted.   

Oh! Yes, Lord Jesus, come and reign! Let my body be Your temple, my
heart Your throne, my will Your devoted servant; let me be Yours
forever, living only in You and for you!

I get no such feeling in a NO mass with guitars playing and hand waving, etc.

VinnyF

Re: Any way to bring SSPX into a new area?
« Reply #2 on: Today at 12:11 pm »
I made the same request when I lived in Annapolis in the early 2000's. Unless you have a fairly sizeable group of folks, the SSPX just doesn't have the resources to be everywhere. They have a mission in Falls Church that has Mass a couple of times per month. Our solution was to go to St. Athanasius in Vienna .. and hour ride around the beltway, but not too bad on Sundays. We also went to St. Hilary's (SSPV) in Brooklyn on mid-week Holy days to avoid D.C.

In the end, daily Mass and school became so important to us that we moved to a city with an SSPX priory and now have access to 3 Masses per day, a school, and solid faith community.

If you get a chance, attend a men's retreat at the Ridgefiled (CT) Retreat House. It might help.

Subscription Options:

One-time Donations: