Choose style:
Subscription Options:

One-time Donations:

Author Topic: Falling in resolutions/New Years  (Read 247 times)

ArturoOrtiz

Falling in resolutions/New Years
« on: April 06, 2017, 03:54:am »
Is it sinful to fall in resolutions/New Years resolutions? How about if there are some resolutions that you feel that you are not really trying or giving it your best? Also if you plan on letting go of one of these resolutions or at the very least subsitute it with something else would this be something that you would have to bring to Confession to be dispensed from?

The reason I am asking is because I made some resolutions to God for the New Year. As a matter of fact I offered these resolutions to Our Lady on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception (December 8) as sort of resolutions that I made for the year till the Feast comes around again (kind of as a means of my devotion to my Consecration to Mary and of making these resolutions more religious) and not merely for secular purposes. Also the formula that I usually use is "I offer to you (God) or (Mary) to do do my best to do so and so" whenever I make a resolution to God or Our Lady. Nevertheless I obviously noticed that many times I fail and do not try my best. So I was wondering if this would be sinful. It should be added that I have been in the habit of telling God when making any type of resolution that I do not plan to bind myself under pain pf sin. The main fear like I mentioned is that I feel that I always try my best. I fail a lot in keeping many of these resolutions.

Also there are two resolutions for the year that I feel I am not really trying at this point. I was wondering in doing away with these two and focus on my other ones or at least subsituting them for something else (or at least one thing). Would this be something I could do? If so can I do it myself or would I have to bring it to Confession?

This is something that has been discouraging me from receiving Holy Communion.
The sin of the century is the loss of the sense of sin- His Holiness Pope Pius XII

Walking In The Desert

In His Love

Re: Falling in resolutions/New Years
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 04:16:am »
Arturo...

Take a deep breath. Now let it out.

Listen.

I am willing to walk this painful path of scruples with you for as long as you're on it, but you have got to do something very important, and that's withholding from making these kinds of threads.

They are not going to make your situation better. They will keep you in the cycle.

If you had an open wound, would you scratch and pick at it, or would you leave it alone? Which one leads to healing? Obviously, leaving it alone. Treat your scruples like an open wound on your soul. You must leave them alone. That means you must resist the urge to post these kinds of threads.

You're in a cycle that currently goes like this:

anxiety -> assurance seeking -> (brief) peace -> anxiety.

If you cut off the assurance seeking part of your cycle and continue to shoo away the anxious thoughts as they come in, you're left with peace.

It takes time and patience, but eventually, you will internalize this. Remember, a sin is not mortal unless you know it to be.

Please feel free to PM me anytime you need help, Arturo, but please do everything you can to avoid making these threads. They may give you some brief relief, but they will not solve your problem.
"Truly blessed is the man whose mind and heart are as closely attached to the Jesus Prayer and to the ceaseless invocation of His name as air to the body or flame to the wax." - St. Hesychios the Priest (☦434)

Credidi Propter

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 09:16:am »
Is it sinful to fall in resolutions/New Years resolutions? How about if there are some resolutions that you feel that you are not really trying or giving it your best? Also if you plan on letting go of one of these resolutions or at the very least subsitute it with something else would this be something that you would have to bring to Confession to be dispensed from?

The reason I am asking is because I made some resolutions to God for the New Year. As a matter of fact I offered these resolutions to Our Lady on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception (December 8) as sort of resolutions that I made for the year till the Feast comes around again (kind of as a means of my devotion to my Consecration to Mary and of making these resolutions more religious) and not merely for secular purposes. Also the formula that I usually use is "I offer to you (God) or (Mary) to do do my best to do so and so" whenever I make a resolution to God or Our Lady. Nevertheless I obviously noticed that many times I fail and do not try my best. So I was wondering if this would be sinful. It should be added that I have been in the habit of telling God when making any type of resolution that I do not plan to bind myself under pain pf sin. The main fear like I mentioned is that I feel that I always try my best. I fail a lot in keeping many of these resolutions.

Also there are two resolutions for the year that I feel I am not really trying at this point. I was wondering in doing away with these two and focus on my other ones or at least subsituting them for something else (or at least one thing). Would this be something I could do? If so can I do it myself or would I have to bring it to Confession?

This is something that has been discouraging me from receiving Holy Communion.

Scrupulosity will destroy you if you do not get it under control.  Living this way is exhausting, and eventually you won't be able to handle it.  Don't let it get to that point.  Please find a good confessor/spiritual director to open up to about these sorts of things.  Go to them with a spirit of trust and obedience, and they will help you.

joeroo66

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 06:56:am »

Sanguis Christi

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 01:31:am »
New Year's Resolutions are not binding under pain of mortal sin. Don't be ridiculous.

Subscription Options:

One-time Donations: