Choose style:
Subscription Options:

One-time Donations:

Author Topic: Overpopulation  (Read 924 times)

Zedta

• Red Fish
  • Wha'd ya expect, from a cigar smokin' gorilla?
Re: Overpopulation
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 09:50:am »
Admittedly, I did not get out my calculator for this, but I have heard that if one were to give every human being on the planet an area of 6 sq.ft. (it could have been 3 sq. ft.), you could put every one of them in the state of Texas.

Okay, I got out my calculator and "did the math" and edited to add:

Texas is 7,488,166,118,400 square feet. Population of the earth: 7.12 billion (2013)

7,488,166,118,400 sq.ft./7,120,000,000 = 1051.708724494382 sq. ft. per person.

An acre is 208 ft X 208 ft or 43264 sq. ft. per acre.

So, if there is 43264 sq.ft. in an acre and each person would get 1051.7 sq. ft., then every person would get about 0.42 of an acre each. That is just under half an acre. Enough to raise food on, if there were enough water and all.

Interesting. I guess the world really isn't so crowded after all, just poorly allotted, I suppose.

OOPS! Make that about 0.024 of an acre (pesky decimal points!)  or about a square of a little over 32 feet on a side. A bit too small to raise much food on. But still, an interestingly larger piece of land than one may think possible for each person in the world to fit into Texas.
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out

In the world it is called Tolerance, but in hell it is called Despair, the sin that believes in nothing, cares for nothing, seeks to know nothing, interferes with nothing, enjoys nothing, hates nothing, finds purpose in nothing, lives for nothing, and remains alive because there is nothing for which it will die

A democracy which makes or even effectively prepares for modern, scientific war must necessarily cease to be democratic. No country can be really well prepared for modern war unless it is governed by a tyrant, at the head of a highly trained and perfectly obedient bureaucracy
Huxley

The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything  
Einstein

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain

Christianity has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and not tried

GangGreen

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2017, 11:53:am »
The United States is 103,671,742,065,706 square feet. I'd say that a large percentage of it it is at the very minimum good for maintaining life. Obviously there are swamp lands, deserts, mountains, bodies of water, etc that wouldn't be so good, but let's ignore that.
That gives you 14,560 sq ft per person or about 1/3 of an acre per person. Still not great amazing, but not terrible either if you consider that a family could easily combine their properties to make a larger property and share food/resources. A family of 6 for example would have about 2 acres of land.  So I'd say that you could at least somewhat comfortably settle the entire world's population into a country like the United States.

Another option is to move the vast majority of people into cities and use the remaining land (which would be quite a lot if you got people out of suburbs) to raise food. With cities you can stack vertically.
Miserere mei Deus: secundum magnam misericordiam tuam.
Et secundum multitudinem miserationum tuarum: dele iniquitatem meam.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612

"Good ale is wasted on false gods." - St. Columbanus

Paul

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2017, 11:57:am »
OOPS! Make that about 0.024 of an acre (pesky decimal points!)  or about a square of a little over 32 feet on a side. A bit too small to raise much food on. But still, an interestingly larger piece of land than one may think possible for each person in the world to fit into Texas.

The average house size in the US, according to some articles I found, is about 2600 square feet - which is about 1000 square feet more than it was in the 1970s. So triple that to three Texases, and that's only about a third of the United States. (To see that, there's an interesting map at thetruesize.com, where you can type in what you want to compare and drag the outlines around the map - you can add more than one of something if you type it in again.)

That leaves the entire rest of the world - all of South America, Europe, Asia, Africa, and Australia - to grow food. Double that again, to six Texases, estimating one other building per person (stores, churches, government buildings, etc.) and that still doesn't equal the area of the US.

Overpopulation's a complete myth. Resource distribution is a political issue, and when you look at where it's a problem, it's often corrupt governments and dictators that cause it.

PrairieMom

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 12:28:pm »
Overpopulation's a complete myth. Resource distribution is a political issue, and when you look at where it's a problem, it's often corrupt governments and dictators that cause it.

You need to add "resource waste" to that too. About 50% of the food produced by large-scale farms in the western world actually ends up in the landfill for various reasons, the majority before it ever reaches the consumer. With small-scale production, the potential to reduce waste grows expontentially. I waste very little of what I produce, and the bit of "waste" I have is recycled back into the soil instead of landfill.
"And I saw a new heaven and a new earth. For the first heaven and the first earth was gone, and the sea is now no more.

And I John saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

And I heard a great voice from the throne, saying: Behold the tabernacle of God with men, and he will dwell with them. And they shall be his people; and God himself with them shall be their God.

And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes: and death shall be no more, nor mourning, nor crying, nor sorrow shall be any more, for the former things are passed away." The Apocalypse 21:1-4

http://allourneedsarespecial.blogspot.ca/

Paul

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2017, 02:16:pm »
You need to add "resource waste" to that too. About 50% of the food produced by large-scale farms in the western world actually ends up in the landfill for various reasons, the majority before it ever reaches the consumer. With small-scale production, the potential to reduce waste grows expontentially. I waste very little of what I produce, and the bit of "waste" I have is recycled back into the soil instead of landfill.

I had no idea it was that much, but I'm sure families growing food would waste much less than a huge business would. Still, even with that much waste, there's plenty of land. But the solution is to reduce the waste, not encourage people to not reproduce and to contracept and abort because of 'overpopulation'.

Mark Williams

• Heresy cannot hide from me.
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2017, 04:08:pm »
I am also forgetting that it is very likely that world powers will eventually use their nuclear arsenals, but God will certainly miraculously spare the Church from devastation, at which point the population of the world will be greatly reduced and we will start over again. This, I suppose, will be the beginning of the age of the Great Monarch.
"For the true friends of the people are neither revolutionaries nor innovators, but traditionalists." - St. Pope Pius X

J Michael

• GFH
  • I live under a rock. Lord have mercy! Alleluia!!
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2017, 06:46:pm »
I am also forgetting that it is very likely that world powers will eventually use their nuclear arsenals, but God will certainly miraculously spare the Church from devastation, at which point the population of the world will be greatly reduced and we will start over again. This, I suppose, will be the beginning of the age of the Great Monarch.

Well, the use of nuclear weapons would certainly have an impact on population, wouldn't it, especially on any large-scale (as opposed to "tactical") basis?  Whether or not it is "very likely" to happen remains to be seen.  Will God "certainly miraculously spare the Church from devastation"?   Only He knows that, and that is certain.  Hopefully I'll be long dead before any of that happens---it's not something I'd wish to see or experience nor would I wish it on anyone.
"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug."~Mark Knopfler (?)

"No matter who you are somebody thinks you're a heretic. Wear it like a badge of honor........... :LOL:"~Silouan

Zedta

• Red Fish
  • Wha'd ya expect, from a cigar smokin' gorilla?
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2017, 07:09:pm »
-it's not something I'd wish to see or experience nor would I wish it on anyone.

That's because you aren't a Satanic or Luciferian Mason or Mormon (high Freemasonry), who will run to their bunkers to hunker down until it all cools off and the Billions they want killed will be gone and they, the 100 Million or so of them that remain, can come out of their holes and live in their communist utopia with the Fallen Ones as their gods.

But then, that's what they've been told by beings known for their propensity to lie...always to lie...their leader being the Father of Lies!
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out

In the world it is called Tolerance, but in hell it is called Despair, the sin that believes in nothing, cares for nothing, seeks to know nothing, interferes with nothing, enjoys nothing, hates nothing, finds purpose in nothing, lives for nothing, and remains alive because there is nothing for which it will die

A democracy which makes or even effectively prepares for modern, scientific war must necessarily cease to be democratic. No country can be really well prepared for modern war unless it is governed by a tyrant, at the head of a highly trained and perfectly obedient bureaucracy
Huxley

The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything  
Einstein

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain

Christianity has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and not tried

Mark Williams

• Heresy cannot hide from me.
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2017, 02:34:pm »
That's because you aren't a Satanic or Luciferian Mason or Mormon (high Freemasonry), who will run to their bunkers to hunker down until it all cools off and the Billions they want killed will be gone and they, the 100 Million or so of them that remain, can come out of their holes and live in their communist utopia with the Fallen Ones as their gods.

But then, that's what they've been told by beings known for their propensity to lie...always to lie...their leader being the Father of Lies!

It's true. The Freemasons in my area, I am told, actually have a bunker to hide in case there's a nuclear war.

Sick people, those. I mean, there's nothing wrong with trying to protect yourself, but their agenda is to repopulate the earth with Masons, which is a horrible thought.
"For the true friends of the people are neither revolutionaries nor innovators, but traditionalists." - St. Pope Pius X

Panum

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2017, 11:12:pm »
One of the greatest lies put forth by pitchfork. Pretty much a diabolical plan to kill as many of God's children as possible. All it takes is a cross continental flight with a window seat. There are vast areas of mostly uninhabited land out there.

To be sure, the real issue with population is geopolitical. Meaning that most of the world's elite  spend time trying to amass wealth and control over the rest of us. This is a huge issue and one that our current pope seems to be focused on.  While I don't believe in man made/caused global warming, subjugating the earth is not an excuse to be wasteful nor irresponsible with it's resources. If you think about it, how many of us live in real catholic community?  I don't think the majority of parishes qualify in this way. Most Catholics may go to Mass on Sunday and say prayers before eating, maybe even before bed prayers. Most spend the rest of the week focused on worldly pursuits or just quietly trying to earn a living in a secular society with no real intent to try to change anything with any kind of witness for the faith. 

If you get the chance to work with the poor you might be surprised by the level of faith in them. I'm talking about 3rd world countries here. 

How many of us truly live by faith?  Do you really rely on God for everything? Are you living out your life in union with the God of the universe, and have even a modicum of understanding of why he put you on earth in this time?

I am certain that by working with God in His plan for the world He can provide a solution for every possible problem. After all He created everything.

Subscription Options:

One-time Donations: