Choose style:
Subscription Options:

One-time Donations:

Author Topic: Q&A: I'm a milliennial who attended parochial school for 12 yrs.  (Read 339 times)

GRA

I'll do this in the form of an AMA reddit. If you have any questions about my experience or would like to ask "Is it true . . . . " types of questions feel free. I'd like to clear some misconceptions, at least coming from experience, since recently I read some bizarre accusations about Catholic schools, both at the primary and secondary level.
Unfortunately I don't have any "fun facts" about me unless being a practicing Catholic counts.

Trying to get better every day week.

Mark Williams

• Heresy cannot hide from me.
Are you an Americanist?
"For the true friends of the people are neither revolutionaries nor innovators, but traditionalists." - St. Pope Pius X

salus

LOL Parochial Schools, sounds like the 1950s, they don't use that word anymore. And Catholic education isn't anything like it was in the 1950s ever since we lost the habited sisters. That's why the School and hospital system run by the Church is in bad shape.

GRA

Unfortunately I don't have any "fun facts" about me unless being a practicing Catholic counts.

GRA

LOL Parochial Schools, sounds like the 1950s, they don't use that word anymore. And Catholic education isn't anything like it was in the 1950s ever since we lost the habited sisters. That's why the School and hospital system run by the Church is in bad shape.

Yea, people still the word parochial. Do you have a question? The last time I checked this wasn't about venting one's issues over the current reality versus the 1950s. Thanks for the contribution, though.

PrairieMom

What accusations are you referring to? I'm unfamiliar with what you're talking about.
"And I saw a new heaven and a new earth. For the first heaven and the first earth was gone, and the sea is now no more.

And I John saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

And I heard a great voice from the throne, saying: Behold the tabernacle of God with men, and he will dwell with them. And they shall be his people; and God himself with them shall be their God.

And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes: and death shall be no more, nor mourning, nor crying, nor sorrow shall be any more, for the former things are passed away." The Apocalypse 21:1-4

http://allourneedsarespecial.blogspot.ca/

Optatus Cleary

Was the TLM ever mentioned? If so, in what contexts?

What was religious education like? I don't mean "good" or "bad."  I mean, was it mostly memorization of a catechism, or was it question-and-answer, or was it "world religions," or was it simplistic coloring books? I am a convert (though an unusual one, given that my family on both sides were Catholic) and I never went through any kind of catechism geared towards children. I've seen my wife's CCD books and they look truly abysmal.

(I'm a millennial as well, and went to public schools K-12 and then a Jesuit university. My mother went to Catholic schools in the 60s and 70s, and it sounds like they were in serious decline by then, though still maintained some of the old ways.)
"I am a Christian, and indeed a Roman Catholic, so that I do not expect ‘history’ to be anything but a ‘long defeat’ — though it contains (and in a legend may contain more clearly and movingly) some samples or glimpses of final victory." -J.R.R. Tolkien

"I know quite well that, to you as to me, the Church which once felt like a refuge, now often feels like a trap. There is nowhere else to go! (I wonder if this desperate feeling, the last state of loyally hanging on, was not, even more often than is actually recorded in the Gospels, felt by Our Lord’s followers in His earthly life-time?) I think there is nothing to do but pray, for the Church, the Vicar of Christ, and for ourselves; and meanwhile to exercise the virtue of loyalty, which indeed only becomes a virtue when one is under pressure to desert it." -J.R.R. Tolkien

"There is none so blind as he who will not agree with me." -someone else

In His Love

Did you have at least one teacher who taught the Faith really well? I remember, in my Catholic high school, we had a teacher who showed us St. Bernadette's incorrupt body, a Host in Venezuela that caught fire and bled in the monstrance, etc.
"Truly blessed is the man whose mind and heart are as closely attached to the Jesus Prayer and to the ceaseless invocation of His name as air to the body or flame to the wax." - St. Hesychios the Priest (☦434)

Subscription Options:

One-time Donations: