Choose style:
Subscription Options:

One-time Donations:

Author Topic: A bit overwhelmed with where to start: Recommended Practices for Beginners  (Read 415 times)

ATereskov

Hello all :)

I was looking through the 'Being Catholic' section today - all of which seems to be written very well - and I sort of became a bit overwhelmed with the number of practices, prayers, etc. Even though I was 'raised' Catholic my family was not very active nor did we actually 'practice' much of the at-home side of the religion. We were the go to church on Sunday (maaaaybe) and Holidays type of folks. Therefore, I am approaching this new spiritual and religious investigation - to see if this is truly something I am prepared to commit to (leaning yes at the moment) - as if I am someone coming to this with no foundation (except, perhaps, having some of the memorization already done ;) ).

As far as reading, studying, and meditating on Scriptures I follow a method for which I only today learned is an actual Catholic practice - again from the wonderful writings on this site :) - Lectio Divina. However, what practices of daily life would you recommend to a brand new Catholic/someone investigating Catholicism?

So far my daily list includes:
- Rosary
- Making intention in the morning
- Reading Scripture
- Personal Prayer/Meditation/Contemplation

I feel like this is barely scratching the surface of what the Catholic Faith and system has to offer. The religious system that I am distancing myself from was one that more or less encompassed my entire daily routine. For someone more accustomed to that level of practice I am concerned that not having something from the Catholic system to keep me on track through the day - maintain intention etc. - that I will fall back into old habits. What practices would you all recommend to someone in my current position or someone coming to the Faith from a ritualistic religion like Islam or Orthodox Judaism?

Credidi Propter

One good practice can be to pray the Angelus.  Traditionally, it is prayed at 6:00 a.m., noon, and 6:00 p.m.  I often just pray it at noon.  Eucharistic adoration has also been very helpful to me, but I don't know if you have it available in your area.

jovan66102

• La foi Catholique d'abord! La mort à l'Islam!
  • Gold Fish
Looks good to me. It's basically what I do, plus the Daily Office since I'm a Tertiary. I do, however, add a short evening prayer, Acts of Contrition, Faith, Hope, and Charity, and an Act of Spiritual Communion.

I agree with CP regarding Adoration if there`s a Church open near you.

Now, a word of advice based on personal experience. DO NOT TRY TO DO TOO MUCH! This is a failing I have. I add so many devotions I can't complete them all. I end up doing nothing in despair.
Jovan-Marya Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!

Deum timete, regem honorificate.

Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!

In His Love

Now, a word of advice based on personal experience. DO NOT TRY TO DO TOO MUCH!
This is so important.

Find the devotions and prayers you most gravitate toward and focus on those. For example, I enjoy the Rosary, Brown Scapular, and Holy Face devotions/prayers. You may gravitate toward the Sacred Heart or some other devotion. Read up on them, pray about them, and see where you are led. 
"O Jesus, Whose adorable Face ravished my heart, I implore Thee to fix deep within me Thy Divine Image and to set me on fire with Thy Love, that I may be found worthy to come to the contemplation of Thy glorious Face in Heaven. Amen." - St. Therese of Lisieux

MichaelNZ

I know how you feel. There are just so many devotions and I don't have time to do all of them.

One particular devotion that I would definitely recommend is the Brown Scapular. The Blessed Mother said that it is "a sign of salvation" and at Fatima she recommended people to wear it. If you haven't been invested in the scapular, buy one and ask your local priest to do it (it's best if you can get it done in the traditional rite). Once the investiture has been done, you do not need to get subsequent scapulars blessed - just put them on and you're good to go.

ATereskov

Thank you all for your replies!

I'm thankful for the heads up regarding taking on too much too soon. I also - clearly LOL - do that far more often than I would like to admit. It's good to be reminded that it's okay to learn and not be expected to do it all even after years of devotion.

You have all given me some good stuff to look into, research, and start with. I am very appreciative. Please, if I may make a request, keep me in your prayers if it's not too much trouble while I am learning this Faith and seeing if I am indeed a fit :) I would be very thankful :)

In His Love

You have all given me some good stuff to look into, research, and start with. I am very appreciative. Please, if I may make a request, keep me in your prayers if it's not too much trouble while I am learning this Faith and seeing if I am indeed a fit :) I would be very thankful :)
Absolutely! :)

You may also find this thread useful. It's a summary of a book I recently read.

http://www.fisheaters.com/forums/index.php?topic=3474176.0
"O Jesus, Whose adorable Face ravished my heart, I implore Thee to fix deep within me Thy Divine Image and to set me on fire with Thy Love, that I may be found worthy to come to the contemplation of Thy glorious Face in Heaven. Amen." - St. Therese of Lisieux

bryanreynolds

• Tempus Fugit, Memento Mori
    • Bryan Reynolds, Musician and Composer
What a nice thread this is.

ATereskov, I was in your shoes some years ago and didn't really have anyone to explain things to me. I'm really still finding my way, but then I think everyone on this forum would say they're still finding their way!  :)

I think you're on the right track and you probably know your own limitations better than anyone else. Certainly don't take on too much and become flustered when you can't complete it all, but also rest assured that you're MORE THAN COVERED if you need guidelines for daily living. You found this website so I'm certain you can use the internet. Stay sharp and when you have a question, google it. There are so many kind souls who've rooted out invaluable resources and shared them or references to them online.

Specifically, pray the Most Holy Rosary every day, frequent the Sacrament of Reconciliation, attend Daily Mass if you can and worthily receive the Blessed Sacrament as often as you can!
Hail O Cross our only hope

bryanreynolds

• Tempus Fugit, Memento Mori
    • Bryan Reynolds, Musician and Composer
^^^ I posted the above under the assumption that you don't have a lot of support IRL. If you do, then STRENGTHEN THOSE RELATIONSHIPS. Encourage each other to become Saints!
Hail O Cross our only hope

formerbuddhist

If you're coming from a religion where prayer is obligatory at specific times (Islam)  than I suggest some form of the breviary, all prayed at our around the right time.  Don't bite off more than you can chew though.
Walk before God in simplicity, and not in subtleties of the mind. Simplicity brings faith; but subtle and intricate speculations bring conceit; and conceit brings withdrawal from God. -Saint Isaac of Syria, Directions on Spiritual Training

"It is impossible in human terms to exaggerate the importance of being in a church or chapel before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. I very seldom repeat what I say. Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity. "Father John Hardon

Subscription Options:

One-time Donations: