Choose style:
Subscription Options:

One-time Donations:

Author Topic: What are Essential Oils? Anyone  (Read 456 times)

Jeeter

Re: What are Essential Oils? Anyone
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 02:55:pm »

Yes.  Most folks think of aspirin as being derived from williow bark, which it is.  But salicylic acid (the active ingredient of aspirin) also comes from meadowsweet.

Yep.  I saw a chart somewhere showing something like 50 plants with medicinal purposes.  It was pretty neat, but of course I can't find it now.  If I can find it I'll post it.

Big Pharma most definitely does NOT want people using alternative therapies.  And...they've got most people and most doctors convinced that they are the only way to go.  Sad and pathetic, really.

They also have some folks convinced the earth is round. 

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

In His Love

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 03:10:pm »
I'm really showing my inner hippie now, but I also brew star anise tea to help fight colds, as it has one of the acids used in Tamiflu.
That's, like, totally far out, man.  8-)

J Michael

• GFH
  • I live under a rock. Lord have mercy! Alleluia!!
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 03:12:pm »
I'm really showing my inner hippie now, but I also brew star anise tea to help fight colds, as it has one of the acids used in Tamiflu.

I don't think he's talking about lysergic acid.  Or...is he?? :grin: :grin:
"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug."~Mark Knopfler (?)

"No matter who you are somebody thinks you're a heretic. Wear it like a badge of honor........... :LOL:"~Silouan

formerbuddhist

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2017, 03:18:pm »
I put this in the "Other Religions" forum, because I am starting to believe that there is some religious connection in this, especially the Young Living variety of essential oils, which seems really new-agey

At least the way my mother has been using this stuff.  She is really passionate about it.  From the way she uses it, she attributes all sorts of cures and healings to it.  "Headache, put this oil on and it will go away.  Back pain, here you go.  Alzheimer's? Sure thing, try this."  And she has put a lot of money into this.

She isn't a Catholic (please, please pray for her!), but is a Christian (she would say "I am just a Christian".)

My question is, is there anything about essential oils or her attitude about them that it bad?  She has also told me whenever I express doubts about it and its functionality, "It is natural medicine, this is better than the man made chemicals you take, God made this."

Essential oils are silly things that people sell in their home businesses and barrage others with incessant Facebook posts about in a seriously overzealous effort to sell them.

Ever heard of people putting lavender oil on their pillows at night to help them sleep?  Actually, it works quite well (but not for every case or cause of insomnia!).  Not so silly when you have trouble getting to sleep and then find that it works, it's not toxic, and far safer than most traditional western medicines.

Why are so many people so quick to dismiss "alternative" therapies or methods when a) they usually know little about them, b) they are generally much safer than traditional western medicine, c) they can be highly effective?  Because someone's making money from them?  What...conventional doctors and the pharmaceutical companies don't make money from what they do?  Really??  Because they haven't been verified in "studies"?  Maybe a close read of Harris Coulter's The Controlled Clinical Trial: An Analysis is worth reading.  Quite an eye-opener, that.

We get lavender oil from Bulk Apothecary to put just a couple drops in the baby's bath.  It does seem to help her settle down and sleep, especially now that she's teething.  I'm really showing my inner hippie now, but I also brew star anise tea to help fight colds, as it has one of the acids used in Tamiflu.

I too don't understand the dismissal of alternative medicines, especially when you consider how many "modern" medicines are basically extracts of various plants, typically .  Aspirin is derived from the Meadowsweet plant, for example.  I think a lot of the resistance to more natural remedies stems from the monopoly Big Pharm has on things.

Yes.  Most folks think of aspirin as being derived from williow bark, which it is.  But salicylic acid (the active ingredient of aspirin) also comes from meadowsweet.

Big Pharma most definitely does NOT want people using alternative therapies.  And...they've got most people and most doctors convinced that they are the only way to go.  Sad and pathetic, really.

Very true,just look at the drive last year to ban Kratom,a relatively inexpensive miracle plant that- -get this- -can actually help people quit opiates.  Trust me, it works,it quit taking opiates and switched to kratom and painlessly got that monkey off my back, not to mention I never had to spend thousands of dollars on doctors appointments so I could get put on methadone or suboxone.

I'm a huge believer in alternative remedies,as long as we can be smart about them.  Not every herb is safe or good,and most the new age stuff is bunk,but I urge everyone to explore using a handful of essential oils,herbs and stuff like acupuncture,or at least remain open.
Walk before God in simplicity, and not in subtleties of the mind. Simplicity brings faith; but subtle and intricate speculations bring conceit; and conceit brings withdrawal from God. -Saint Isaac of Syria, Directions on Spiritual Training

"It is impossible in human terms to exaggerate the importance of being in a church or chapel before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. I very seldom repeat what I say. Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity. "Father John Hardon

In His Love

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2017, 03:21:pm »

Who knows, maaaan. I just know that you can get a sweet natural high from the righteous tunes of The Grateful Dead.

Joking aside, The Grateful Dead is an amazing band and I love them.  :grin:

Jeeter

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2017, 03:21:pm »

Jinkies, Velma.  I mean Klaus. :grin:

Just kidding.  Never done any of that mess.
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

Subscription Options:

One-time Donations: