Choose style:
Subscription Options:

One-time Donations:

Author Topic: Crucifix vs. Cross in the Home  (Read 358 times)

Rick4367

Crucifix vs. Cross in the Home
« on: May 19, 2017, 10:07:pm »
I had a non-catholic catholic ask me that she heard that a cross without a crucifix is a protestant thing. I have both in my house. Is this true? I have never heard that but was raised in novus ordo so I just want to make sure. Thanks!

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

LaudeturIesus

Re: Crucifix vs. Cross in the Home
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 11:02:pm »
The plain cross, as well as the crucifix, are both traditional Catholic icons. It is true that Protestants tend to use the plain cross as a symbol of the Resurrection and avoid using the crucifix for any various number of reasons, but simply having a plain cross is not a "Protestant thing."

Some Protestants say that the use of crucifixes is a form of idol worship, some say Jesus is risen; therefore don't keep Him still on the cross or focus on the "gloomy" aspect and yadda yadda yadda. I think that the reason why Protestants didn't, and don't use crucifixes is because it's simply "too Catholic," and I say this as a former Evangelical!

Justin Alphonsus

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 11:03:pm »
I have heard all sorts of weird things.  I think the general idea is that protestants would never have a crucifix in their churches.  To this day, I have yet to see one, excepting certain High Anglican churches.  I don't think there is anything wrong with a cross.  The cross is no more a protestant thing than the Bible is. 

aquinas138

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 11:45:pm »
A plain cross is perfectly acceptable, and should be kissed and venerated as a representation of the life-giving wood on which Christ died. The only place that it is not OK is at the altar in a Roman-rite Church, which requires a Crucifix (and not the weird Resurrexifix you sometimes see in NO Churches). That Protestants use plain crosses because they have weird hangups about crucifixes is no reason for us not to keep and reverence them.
Having beheld the Resurrection of Christ, let us worship the holy Lord Jesus, the only sinless one. We venerate Thy Cross, O Christ, and Thy holy Resurrection we praise and glorify. For Thou art our God, and we know none other than Thee. We call on Thy name. O come, all ye faithful, let us venerate Christ’s holy Resurrection. For behold, through the Cross joy hath come into all the world. Ever blessing the Lord, we praise his Resurrection: for by enduring the Cross, he hath slain death by death.

jovan66102

• La foi Catholique d'abord! La mort à l'Islam!
  • Gold Fish
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 11:59:pm »
I have heard all sorts of weird things.  I think the general idea is that protestants would never have a crucifix in their churches.  To this day, I have yet to see one, excepting certain High Anglican churches.  I don't think there is anything wrong with a cross.  The cross is no more a protestant thing than the Bible is.

I was an Anglican for many years and I have never seen an Anglican Church without a Crucifix on the altar. I'm sure they exists, but I've never been in one. And I would point out that many traditional Lutheran Churches, especially of Scandinavian background, regularly have (or had, it's been years since I've been in one) Crucifixes on the altar.
Jovan-Marya Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!

Deum timete, regem honorificate.

Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!

Pacman

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 01:48:am »
I had a non-catholic catholic ask me that she heard that a cross without a crucifix is a protestant thing. I have both in my house. Is this true? I have never heard that but was raised in novus ordo so I just want to make sure. Thanks!

Culturally, I associate Catholicism with a crucifix which depicts Jesus' human form in a high level of detail including bloody wounds and musculature, and I associate Protestantism with a plain "Latin" cross. FWIW, I recommend you should get a blessed St Benedict Medal Crucifix to protect your home from demons.
Do not think that I came to send peace upon Earth: I came not to send peace, but the sword.

Zedta

• Red Fish
  • Wha'd ya expect, from a cigar smokin' gorilla?
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 07:19:am »
The way I was taught was that the 'Cross' is a representation of a device for torture and a Crucifix is the sign of Christ's Victory.
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out

In the world it is called Tolerance, but in hell it is called Despair, the sin that believes in nothing, cares for nothing, seeks to know nothing, interferes with nothing, enjoys nothing, hates nothing, finds purpose in nothing, lives for nothing, and remains alive because there is nothing for which it will die

A democracy which makes or even effectively prepares for modern, scientific war must necessarily cease to be democratic. No country can be really well prepared for modern war unless it is governed by a tyrant, at the head of a highly trained and perfectly obedient bureaucracy
Huxley

The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything  
Einstein

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain

Christianity has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and not tried

Jeeter

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 07:59:am »
The way I was taught was that the 'Cross' is a representation of a device for torture and a Crucifix is the sign of Christ's Victory.

I was taught similar, except that that a cross is a symbol of Christ's passion, whereas the crucifix is a symbol of both passion and triumph. Regardless, both are to be venerated and treated with due reverence.
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

Rick4367

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 05:08:pm »

Culturally, I associate Catholicism with a crucifix which depicts Jesus' human form in a high level of detail including bloody wounds and musculature, and I associate Protestantism with a plain "Latin" cross. FWIW, I recommend you should get a blessed St Benedict Medal Crucifix to protect your home from demons.
I do have 2 St. Benedict Crucifixes in my house. One above our bed that we bought at the Vatican in 2011. One above the front door of our house. Neither are blessed, but I did have the whole house blessed when we first bought it. Is that enough? Or is that the same as consecrating the whole world but not specifically Russia?

In His Love

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 05:32:pm »
I do have 2 St. Benedict Crucifixes in my house. One above our bed that we bought at the Vatican in 2011. One above the front door of our house. Neither are blessed, but I did have the whole house blessed when we first bought it. Is that enough? Or is that the same as consecrating the whole world but not specifically Russia?

That depends. Will the blessing of your house bring about peace in the world and the conversion of Russia?  :grin:

Subscription Options:

One-time Donations: