Choose style:

Author Topic: Is it is sin to go out-to-eat on Sundays?  (Read 5950 times)

StThomasMore

Is it is sin to go out-to-eat on Sundays?
« on: January 29, 2006, 06:04:pm »

Is it a sin to go out-to-eat on Sundays? Also, is it a sin to shop for groceries on Sundays?

Brennus

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 06:11:pm »

My opinion on this is that we should not force other people to work on Sundays which is what we do when we patronize stores and eateries on a Sunday.

I think that we should not work on Sunday unless one works in a necessary profession like a doctor or a nurse or a policeman or fireman.

I don't think we are guilty of sin if we are forced by a wicked employer to work on Sunday and we need to work or else we won't have the means of supporting our families.

I just worked today. Of course, I work for a newspaper which is sort of an essential service (Although, I know the Munich newspaper, which is a very large national paper of high quality does not publish on a Sunday.)

I think the state should do more to limit Sunday work but, in America, we're not likely to see that happen.

To answer your question. I'd say don't do it. Don't put any more money into the pockets of businesses that are open on Sunday.

If the restaurant Chik fil a (sic) can get by without opening on Sunday, then it is n't necessary.

Brennus  

gladius_veritatis

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 06:25:pm »

No, to the first.

It can be, to the second.  Depends on the situation.  If I need something, and my need is real (not superficial), I can go get it.  I did not make the stores remain open, and although I disagree with their being open, I am not responsible for it.  That being said, the times when we would truly need something are rare. 

Say, for instance, I am a home-maker, and I have invited some people over to my home for Sunday brunch or dinner (supper).  I realize, but not until Sunday morning, that I need some vital part of what I have planned to provide for my guests.  I should first try to borrow it from a friend or neighbor, if I can.  If I cannot, I am allowed to buy it (but not other unnecessary things).  This is all avoided by good planning, but being merely human, even the best planners sometimes overlook things.

Mark

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 07:07:pm »

Eating out? Boy one of my fond memories of when I was young was Sunday dinner that mom cooked, Wow!  To heck with eating out!

miss_fluffy

• Domina Frivola
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 07:14:pm »
I've made a strong effort to do this for the past couple of  months.  I realized that I had a habit of getting most of my  errands done on Sunday, and goofing off on Saturday.  Now that  I've turned it around, Sunday is more a day of relaxation and  reflection, and I am more prepared to deal with my first day of the  work week.

Besides not wanting to encourage the Sunday activity of stores and  such, I think it's good for the soul just to stay home and devote a day  completely to God.

Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held. Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin. Believe nothing just because someone else believes it. Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true.– Buddha

Note: According to this precept, I find that Buddhism is NOT true.  I have tested and judged many things, and the only Truth I have found is in God's One True Church: The Catholic Church.

Dear Lord, I know I can live by Your Holy Will every moment of my life, because You have given me faith that Your Grace will enable me to.

Kephapaulos

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 07:18:pm »

Yes, my family and I have ended up eating out on Sundays in the past, but I did realize how it was not really honoring the Sabbath day. Well, also I know like right now they have the cafeteria open on Sundays on campus for students to eat, and so that would not be sinful to go over there and get something to eat though?

LEX SUPREMA SALUS ANIMARUM EST.

REQUIESCANT IN PACE ANIMAE IUSTORUM.

mississippicatholic

• Future Doctor
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006, 07:23:pm »
Just a little FYI:  Catholics don't use the word Sabbath when refering to Sunday.  We say "Keep holy the Lord's day" (as opposed to "Keep holy the Sabbath day")  This is because Sabbath literally means Saturday, the holy day of the OT Church.

FifthMark

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2006, 07:27:pm »

Quote from: mississippicatholic
Just a little FYI:  Catholics don't use the word Sabbath when refering to Sunday.  We say "Keep holy the Lord's day" (as opposed to "Keep holy the Sabbath day")  This is because Sabbath literally means Saturday, the holy day of the OT Church.

No, "Sabbath" means "rest."  From a quick search on Merriam Webster:

Main Entry: Sab·bath

Pronunciation: 'sa-b&th
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English sabat, from Old French & Old English, from Latin sabbatum, from Greek sabbaton, from Hebrew shabbAth, literally, rest

Quoniam magnus es tu et faciens mirabilia tu es Deus solus
(Psalmus lxxxv.10)

VoxClamantis

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2006, 07:27:pm »

Quote from: mississippicatholic

"Sabbath" actually means "rest" -- and it is the source for the Latin word for "Saturday" -- but Catholics definitely usually refer to the Lord's Day as to avoid confusion between it and the O.T. or post-Temple Jewish Sabbath.

mississippicatholic

• Future Doctor
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2006, 07:31:pm »
Oh. Sorry!