Choose style:

Author Topic: Rosary and Ash Wednesday  (Read 2563 times)

mississippicatholic

• Future Doctor
Rosary and Ash Wednesday
« on: March 01, 2006, 05:47:pm »

What set of mysteries does one pray on Ash Wednesday?

Extraecclesiamnullasalus

• THE DON
Rosary and Ash Wednesday
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 05:48:pm »
all 3

Words are as strong and powerful as bombs, as napalm.
Dorothy Day

gladius_veritatis

Rosary and Ash Wednesday
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 05:54:pm »

I do not know if there is any custom either way, but I will likely be praying the normal Wed. mysteries, the Glorious.

Spooky7272

Rosary and Ash Wednesday
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 05:56:pm »

I usually pray the Sorrowful all thru Lent.

miss_fluffy

• Domina Frivola
Rosary and Ash Wednesday
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 05:57:pm »

All 3 is ideal, but if you only have time for one, the Sorrowful mysteries are to be your focus for all the days of Septuagisima and Lent.

Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held. Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin. Believe nothing just because someone else believes it. Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true.– Buddha

Note: According to this precept, I find that Buddhism is NOT true.  I have tested and judged many things, and the only Truth I have found is in God's One True Church: The Catholic Church.

Dear Lord, I know I can live by Your Holy Will every moment of my life, because You have given me faith that Your Grace will enable me to.

gladius_veritatis

Rosary and Ash Wednesday
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 06:13:pm »

Quote from: miss_fluffy
... the Sorrowful mysteries are to be your focus for all the days of Septuagesima and Lent.

As correct as this might sound, it is not necessary (although laudable).  The six days of the week are to remain as normal (M, TH, Joyous - TUE, FRI, Sorrowful - WED, SAT, Glorious), with Sunday seeing the use of the Sorrowful once again.  Normally, the Sunday alone is dictated by the liturgical season, not every single day of the season (i.e., during Easter, the Sorrowful mysteries are not just left out).

The Passion is to be our focus during this holy season of penance, but not necessarily our only focus, especially when praying the Rosary, which rightly includes all of the mysteries of Our Lord's life, upon which we ought to meditate all the year through.

If I were going to do the Sorrowful M's every day, I would do them in addition to whatever is the normal practice for that day, if necessary.

mattc

Rosary and Ash Wednesday
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 11:49:pm »
Quote from: gladius_veritatis

Quote from: miss_fluffy
... the Sorrowful mysteries are to be your focus for all the days of Septuagesima and Lent.

As correct as this might sound, it is not necessary (although laudable). The six days of the week are to remain as normal (M, TH, Joyous - TUE, FRI, Sorrowful - WED, SAT, Glorious), with Sunday seeing the use of the Sorrowful once again. Normally, the Sunday alone is dictated by the liturgical season, not every single day of the season (i.e., during Easter, the Sorrowful mysteries are not just left out).

The Passion is to be our focus during this holy season of penance, but not necessarily our only focus, especially when praying the Rosary, which rightly includes all of the mysteries of Our Lord's life, upon which we ought to meditate all the year through.

If I were going to do the Sorrowful M's every day, I would do them in addition to whatever is the normal practice for that day, if necessary.

That is my understanding of it as well.  Only the Sundays in Lent change to the Sorrowful mysteries.

So today was still Glorious :-)

And another angel came, and stood before the altar, having a golden censer; and there was given to him much incense, that he should offer of the prayers of all saints upon the golden altar, which is before the throne of God.  And the smoke of the incense of the prayers of the saints ascended up before God from the hand of the angel.

The Apocalypse of Saint John 8:3-4

Jarrod_D

Rosary and Ash Wednesday
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 10:52:am »

You mean you wouldn't pray the "Evangelical mysteries" of Scott Hahn?

No Luminous?

Jarrod

Reese

Rosary and Ash Wednesday
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2006, 12:20:am »
Quote from: Jarrod_D

You mean you wouldn't pray the "Evangelical mysteries" of Scott Hahn?

No Luminous?

Jarrod

LOL  Ummmm, no!
aka montreal_marisa

“Accept every pain and inconvenience that comes from Heaven. Thus you will attain perfection and sanctification.”
- St. Padre Pio