FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: I am cooking . . . is it a sin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I am making Christmas dinner this year.  Is it a sin to use instant mash potatoes and packaged dressing?
Daniel

Yes!

Thou shalt not make pratties from a box...Romans 1

:)
:laughing:
Sam and STM eat your heart out and move over.
Of course it is a sin. That should be obvious.  [Image: laff.gif] 
IMHO it's much more objectionable not to have everything done at once, and mashed potatoes are a major offender in this regard.  I will therefore suggest (in respect of the previous posters who do find the practice objectionable) a necessary subterfuge:

Prepare in advance at least one mashed potato from real potatoes.  Peel imperfectly.  When your guests observe tiny fibers from potato peel in the mashed potatoes, they will conclude that these are indeed the real thing and everyone will be amazed at your culinary abilities.  (For a slightly different taste, you might also mash in a couple of wedges of rutabaga and season with a bit of nutmeg, but try this yourself in advance, as not everyone likes these.) 

This is a variation on the old military trick of adding a bit of crushed eggshell to the powdered eggs.  Works every time. (except the potatoes will in fact taste like the real thing.)
That's artful and crafty, mojomama.

I love it! :)

Hmm.  What about powdered milk?  We keep some around for cooking, but sometimes we run out of milk and I pour a glass.  It's not *bad* but it's not great.  Besides whiskey, any ideas on how to make that more milk-like?
The only sin is when you serve that canned cranberry sauce instead of a real man's cranberry sauce!
Forgive me, for I have sinned. In the past I used instant mashed potatoes quite frequently and actually liked the canned cranberry sauce. [Image: laff.gif]

Btw, is instant ramen noodle soup sinful as well? [Image: laff.gif]

TradCathYouth Wrote:Forgive me, for I have sinned. In the past I used instant mashed potatoes quite frequently and actually liked the canned cranberry sauce.

You're going to burn in a nice white hot spot in the malebolgia.

Hope those instant potatoes came with an air conditioning unit.

No salvation for users of instant potatoes.
Has everyone taken "consent of the will" into account when discerning these sins?
Pages: 1 2 3 4