FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Source for an Aquinas quote
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

I'd be grateful for the source of the following quote from St. Thomas Aquinas:

"Creating is distinguished from causing because the former exists in eternity and the latter in time."

Thanks!
Dryden Wrote:I'd be grateful for the source of the following quote from St. Thomas Aquinas:

"Creating is distinguished from causing because the former exists in eternity and the latter in time."

Who told you he said it? The creation of things, St. Thomas says, was in the beginning of time [S.T. I, Q. 46, Art. 3]; the universe of creatures did not exist from eternity [ibid., Art. 1, 2]. On the logical assumption that something is created whenever creating occurs, it appears to follow that creating does not exist in eternity as distinct from time. The closest I can readily find to the quote above is the teaching that it belongs to God alone to create (though it doesn't belong to Him alone to cause), S.T. I, Q. 45, Art. 5.

Blessings,

Don McMaster
  A friend of mine, who years ago wrote for a Catholic newspaper, came across an article which he himself wrote years ago in which he quoted St. Thomas as saying the above; now he does not remember the source of the quote, has hunted for unsuccessfully and has asked me if I know anything about it.   I posted the question here thinking you might be able to help, and you have.  I'll pass on to him what you've said.  Thanks!

Best wishes,