FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The Bible in Spanish
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What Bible do Spanish-speaking traditional Catholics use? I was looking at the history of the Reina-Valera Bible, which I was told was the Spanish "counterpart" to the Douay Bible, but apparently it was actually made by Spanish Protestants. I don't speak Spanish, so I can't tell what the Spanish websites are saying.
I would be interested in the answer to this question for any language.
Indeed. According to Wikipedia:

Quote:Roman Catholic Bibles Official Catholic Bibles must carry a Vatican approval seal. Apparently the first official translation from the complete Catholic Bible was done by Nácar-Colunga (1944), followed by Bover-Cantera (1947) and Straubinger (1944-51).
Although there are several accepted versions, traditionally, the most accepted complete Catholic Bible is the "Biblia de Jerusalem". It's first Spanish translation was published in 1967 and was revised in 1973. It is also available in a modern latinamerican version, and it comes with full introductory texts and comments.
Other popular versions include Biblia Latinoamericana (1972), Nueva Biblia Española (1975), Cantera-Iglesia (1975), Sagrada Biblia (1978), La Biblia (1992), Biblia del Peregrino (1993), and Biblia de América (1994).

For some reason, the notion that the first complete Catholic Spanish Bible didn't come out until 1944 just seems totally absurd and unbelievable. OTOH, Wikipedia elsewhere states that vernacular copies of the Bible were prohibited in Spain between the 16th and 19th centuries. That would be very unfortunate, IMO, and the source of a lot of anti-Catholic propaganda, but it could be true. I don't know.

I also don't know anything about any of the versions listed above. I'm just trying to help a Latin American friend of mine.
Hi,

The BEST version of the Bible in Spanish (the one Traditionalists should use) is the Torres Amat version. It uses the best translations and the best words. It also tends to have good footnotes. In addition, one of the best Italian versions was used (the one by Moretti).

I hope you can find it!

I bought this one: http://www.stampley.com/spanstudybibles.htm It is the Torres Amat version.

It's very good, has Pius XII' Encyclical at the beginning and color photos of great Catholic shrines.

Ah, thank you both. I found out that my friend's copy of Scripture happens to be a Torres Amat version passed down from his family, so we're good here.

Do you know about the history of the Torres Amat version? I find Bible version histories to be interesting, such as the history of the Vulgate, the Douay, the so-called "Authorized" Version, and so on.