FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: ?_ SACRA VIRGINITAS encyclical, Pius XII
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.papalencyclicals.net/Pius12/P12SACRA.HTM

I was reading this encyclical and am trying to better understand the section/sentence highlighted in bold below regarding marriage. What exactly are 'defects of nature' in this context?

...and for those who continually respond with the post "Isn't this something you can ask your local priest?" - yes, I could (and will) but I want to obtain the thoughts of the participants here...so buzz off.

10. For when the disciples thought that the obligations and burdens of marriage, which their Master's discourse had made clear, seemed extremely heavy, they said to Him: "If the case stands so between man and wife, it is better not to marry at all."[12] Jesus Christ replied that His ideal is not understood by everybody but only by those who have received the gift; for some are hindered from marriage because of some defect of nature, others because of the violence and malice of men, while still others freely abstain of their own will, and this "for the kingdom of heaven." And He concludes with these words, "He that can take it, let him take it."[13]
Ah, it's a paraphrasing of "some are born eunuchs, others are made so by man, still others choose it for the kingdom of God"...some people cannot be married simply because they are born impotent or extremely sexually ambiguous, for example. Others are stopped by other people, either neutered or kept in prison etc...finally, some choose celibacy not out of necessity or compulsion, but out of religion. It is not required, but it is the higher path.
Quote:...and for those who continually respond with the post "Isn't this something you can ask your local priest?" - yes, I could (and will) but I want to obtain the thoughts of the participants here...so buzz off.

Pretty rude for a new poster. [Image: mad.gif]
Yeah, but I know what they mean. It thankfully doesnt happen on this board, people are very eager to reply here.

But there are some boards where it is just like "ask your priest"...well then, what is the point of the board!!?!? lol