FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: sins of the fathers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:Our fathers sinned, and are no more; and we bear their iniquities.
from the "Prayer of Jeremias" post
jus askin a favor... Do any of you know more references in the Bible about the children bearing the sins of their ancestors, or specifically asking forgiveness for the sins of their parents and ancestors?

I'm actually searching for prayers of this kind. Thanks in advanced.
...puts a new twist on the meaning of family
I don't think it means that the children bear any personal guilt because of their ancestor's sins, but they suffer the natural consequences of those sins.  If I spend all my income on drinking and gambling,  my children will be hungry and ill-clad.  If I rob a bank and go to jail, I won't be able to support my children, and they will be poor.  They suffer the consequences of my sin, but none of the personal guilt.
Yeah, you nailed it... If a couple is worldly and dissolute, doens't practice the faith except to the letter of the law, exposes their children to the disgusting excesses of our society through the television, bad movies, etc., then they will not be held innocent when their children grow up to be exactly like them, or worse. Heresy and evil tend to pervert whole families. Think about it:

One of my ancestors back in 1570-something apostatized and converted to Calvinism in Europe. That means that his sons were protestants, and they sought out like-minded individuals to marry. They had children, who had children, etc. The net result is that thousands of souls who would have ordinarily been Catholic had their family been such were probably lost because they quite naturally became protestants, and this has continued until our time. The apostasy of one man, and probably not a particularly wicked or outstandingly prestigious one, contributed directly to the downfall of countless souls.
cryptic Wrote:
Quote:Our fathers sinned, and are no more; and we bear their iniquities.
from the "Prayer of Jeremias" post
jus askin a favor... Do any of you know more references in the Bible about the children bearing the sins of their ancestors, or specifically asking forgiveness for the sins of their parents and ancestors?

I'm actually searching for prayers of this kind. Thanks in advanced.
...puts a new twist on the meaning of family

You will be hard pressed to find a more moving prayer than the prayer of confession made by the prophet Daniel, on behalf of the whole nation and on behalf of his forefathers, in Daniel 9.