FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Bible commentary?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can anyone recommend a good Scripture commentary? I favor the Douay-Rheims translation, if it matters...
Thanks![Image: smile.gif]
Deidre Wrote:Can anyone recommend a good Scripture commentary? I favor the Douay-Rheims translation, if it matters...
Thanks![Image: smile.gif]

Yes! The Haydock Bible Commentary: http://haydock1859.tripod.com/

The site's still under construction, but the whole of the New Testament and nearly half of the Old Testament are done thus far.

Clare.
For English speakers, the Haydock is like the traditional commentary to go along with the Douay-Rheims. Some are a little troubled that it also goes along with a few additional edits beyond the Challoner revisions, but trust me they are minor (ie, the changing of "whited sepulchres" to "whitened sepulchres"). My bible is a very nice photo-reprint of the Douay-Rheims with Haydock commentary underneath. I don't know what happens to Challoner's notes in these editions, but I am sure the same points are more than explained by the Rev. George Haydock in his.
Book Review: A Practical Commentary on Holy Scripture, by Bishop Knecht
Buy it through the link on my site, and I'll make something like .0005 cents.