FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: baptized in the Spirit...protestant style?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay, so I was wondering if any of you could help me with this one!  I am a convert (5 yearrs) and during my protestant years I was taught about being baptized in the spirit:  speaking in tongues (where your spirit cries out to God, and you are unaware of what you are saying...lots of times sounds like babbling) being slain in the spirit (where you literally fall back "unable" to control it) prophesying during church services and having dreams and visions. 
 Now I know that there have been many saints who have gone into an ecstasy (no doubt in my mind about what Holy Mother Church teaches).  What does The Church teach about the protestant charismatic stuff?  I know that the spirit gives us each different gifts and that we all have different vocations...only FEW are given the gifts of prophecy and dreams and the like, right?  I mean its not out their for the taking is it? 

My mom is protestant and the other day she asked me if I have had any visions/dreams...she then went on to tell me that I should be expecting to receive that gift...because she has it and it's handed down from generation to generation, and that she has been praying for me to receive it; she also sees eagles (they are really angels) and if they appear to her in green then it means this and if they appear to her in red it means that!   OKAY!  I love my mom to death, but she's kinda freaking me out [Image: eek.gif]!  I ONLY want what God gives me! NOTHING MORE NOTHING LESS! So, as soon as she tells me this stuff I start praying for Gods protection and invoke everyone saint I can think of! 

What is your take on all this?  And what does The Church teach?  Protestants get all of this from the Bible (Acts 2:6, Eph.6:18, Acts 28:8, plus other verses).  A lot of them believe that we could all prophesy, have dreams and visions, lay hands on people and have them healed....everything the Apostles did, but THEY WERE BLESSED AND CHOSEN BY GOD!!!  And the priests have in turn been blessed by them!  So, where do the protestants get their green card?   Plus, before I became Traditional (4 years ago)the parish that I was attending was starting to get charismatic...which at the time I thought was great...just coming from the protestant faith...so, are they just feeling like they are missing out or what?

God Bless you all!

The true gift of tongues is when someone speaks intelligently in his own language and someone of another language understands it, even though the speaker can't speak the listeners language.
Acts 2: 4-12 Wrote:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they began to speak with divers tongues, according as the Holy Ghost gave them to speak. 5 Now there were dwelling at Jerusalem, Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven. 6 And when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded in mind, because that every man heard them speak in his own tongue. 78 And how have we heard, every man our own tongue wherein we were born? And they were all amazed, and wondered, saying: Behold, are not all these, that speak, Galileans? 9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and inhabitants of Mesopotamia, Judea, and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, Egypt, and the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome,
11 Jews also, and proselytes, Cretes, and Arabians: we have heard them speak in our own tongues the wonderful works of God. 12 And they were all astonished, and wondered, saying one to another: What meaneth this?

Also
Quote:16 Else if thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that holdeth the place of the unlearned say, Amen, to thy blessing? because he knoweth not what thou sayest. 17 For thou indeed givest thanks well, but the other is not edified. 18 I thank my God I speak with all your tongues. 19 But in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that I may instruct others also; than ten thousand words in a tongue. 20 Brethren, do not become children in sense: but in malice be children, and in sense be perfect.

So, the true gift of tongues isn't what one sees in pentecostal and charismatic churches today. Instead, it was a gift bestowed upon the apostles to evangelize and spread the Gospel. If fact, ask your mother why she emphasizes "tongues" when St. Paul tells us that tongues are for the edification of the unbeliever rather than the believer. If your a Christian, tongues should be of little interest to you because you've already received and accepted the truth. Now that the Faith has spread like wild fire around the globe, there's really no need for the gift of tongues anymore.

1 Corinthians 14:22 Wrote:22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to believers, but to unbelievers; but prophecies not to unbelievers, but to believers.

There are many other way's in which the Holy Ghost can act. I forget which Saint said that every whispered prayer is the work of the Holy Ghost.

Here's a good sermon on the subject
The Holy Ghost

pumpkin...sprinkle your mom with holy water while she is sleeping [Image: sneaky.gif] and keep praying. I'll try to find a tape I think I have on the subject and bring it, OK?
Quote:16 Else if thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that holdeth the place of the unlearned say, Amen, to thy blessing? because he knoweth not what thou sayest. 17 For thou indeed givest thanks well, but the other is not edified. 18 I thank my God I speak with all your tongues. 19 But in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that I may instruct others also; than ten thousand words in a tongue. 20 Brethren, do not become children in sense: but in malice be children, and in sense be perfect.OurLady, where did you get this quote?  It is wonderful!  I looked in Acts thinking it was verse 16, and didn't see it.  I have never heard the gift of tongues explained the way you did...it makes total sense and goes right along with what happened on Pentecost.  Thank you SOO much!!

LittleFlower,
      BRING THE TAPE!  LOL  Tie a string round your finger so you don't forget on Sunday.  I need to listen to it before I go home this summer...
I think the whole thing is a bit nutty; all that rolling around and stuff. On a side note, there is a woman here in Lansing who is suing a local church for injuries she received while being "slain in the Spirit".
pumpkin Wrote:Quote:16 Else if thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that holdeth the place of the unlearned say, Amen, to thy blessing? because he knoweth not what thou sayest. 17 For thou indeed givest thanks well, but the other is not edified. 18 I thank my God I speak with all your tongues. 19 But in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that I may instruct others also; than ten thousand words in a tongue. 20 Brethren, do not become children in sense: but in malice be children, and in sense be perfect.OurLady, where did you get this quote? It is wonderful! I looked in Acts thinking it was verse 16, and didn't see it. I have never heard the gift of tongues explained the way you did...it makes total sense and goes right along with what happened on Pentecost. Thank you SOO much!!

LittleFlower,
BRING THE TAPE! LOL Tie a string round your finger so you don't forget on Sunday. I need to listen to it before I go home this summer...

Sorry, that verse is from 1 Corinthians 14:16-20
I could go on about this topic, but just a few principles that I try to keep in mind when I approach anything that claims to come from above. 
  1. Anything that purports to be from God and teaches anything opposed to Catholic Faith, Morals and discipline is false (A certain apparition in the former Yugoslavia encouraging disobedience to their local Ordinary, and espousing heretical notions comes to mind.) As to Pentacostalism, the whole notion of "baptism in the spirit" is a misinterpretation of Christ's words concerning the Sacrament of Baptism.  He who receives Catholic Baptism receives the Holy Ghost.
  2. God will only use extraordinary means in extraordinary circumstances.  We are generally to live by faith.  Christ set up the Church for teaching the faith.  Our faith in the supernatural is tested by living in ordinary circumstances in such a way that demonstrates our belief.
  3. If the phenomenon comes from a non-Catholic source, it is virtually always false.  The Charismatic movement is a spin-off from enthusiastic evangelicals, and has a short history. God would not use such means to communicate with mankind.
  4. If there's a cacophony of words or voices, it's probably a hoax by either human or diabolical means.  They say there were over 50 apparitions after Our Lady appeared to Bernadette at Lourdes, for instance. 
  5. Signs and wonders can be dangerous, because they can come by other than Divine sources, and we are easily deceived.  It is a more sure path to follow Catholic Tradition, and have a very cautious attitude toward anything purporting to be supernatural. God does use these means (signs and wonders) but sparingly.  Test the spirits.