FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Any good audiobook recordings of the Catholic Bible to recommend?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Evey Wrote:Thanks QVP! Pity it's only on cassette though.

Ack, not even.  The publisher telephoned my wife today to tell her that the Douay-Rheims recording is not currently available.  The man said that the audio on the Old Testament master is bad, but they plan to re-record it in the future.  (These things happen slowly, he told her, so this could take many months.)  The good news, no pun intended, is that the New Testament is available.  Maybe when the set is re-issued in both Old and New Testaments, it will be on CD and not merely cassette?  Too bad; I was anxious to listen in Lent to some of the Old Testament books that I am less familiar with. 
I'm sorry but that's TYPICAL! Why is it so difficult to find anything decent online... the only way I could find a reasonably priced bilingual breviary was through ebay. I'm surprised nobody has capitalised on the need for traditional Catholic literature and items. I suppose we should be grateful the New Testament's still available though.
Evey Wrote:I'm sorry but that's TYPICAL! Why is it so difficult to find anything decent online... the only way I could find a reasonably priced bilingual breviary was through ebay. I'm surprised nobody has capitalised on the need for traditional Catholic literature and items. I suppose we should be grateful the New Testament's still available though.

As far as traditional Catholic literature and items, at least we have TAN Publishers, Baronius Press, and Angelus Press (off the top of my head). 
I thought TAN had gone under? And Baronius has been promising a definitive breviary (in English and Latin) for ages... nothing yet, though. Angelus Press does have a nice selection though. I guess it's not as bad as it could be.
Evey Wrote:I thought TAN had gone under? And Baronius has been promising a definitive breviary (in English and Latin) for ages... nothing yet, though. Angelus Press does have a nice selection though. I guess it's not as bad as it could be.

TAN still sends me e-newsletters, so I should hope not.  Their website is still active as well:

http://www.tanbooks.com/

But it is as you, and the gentleman who telephoned my wife, say -- things with these presses move very, very slow. 
About the damaged Old Testament audio masters for the Douay-Rheims audiobook, I should add that the publisher plans on re-recording, and I am on a call-back list.  Because the wheels turn very slowly, it is worthwhile to light a fire underneath the publisher to let them know that there is a high level of interest about this product.  They can be reached at Addison @ Catholic Family Catalog / 888-867-2928:   http://www.catholicfamilycatalog.com/emailus.htm   The more feedback they get, the more likely they are to gauge the worthiness of this project and make it a priority.
It's too bad that we can't all get together and record it ourselves.  If everyone volunteered for a few chapters I imagine we could get it done quickly :)

jddqr Wrote:It's too bad that we can't all get together and record it ourselves.  If everyone volunteered for a few chapters I imagine we could get it done quickly :)
Too bad we couldn't just record the weekly Lectionary readings for three years at a parish where the lector and priest read particularly good.  Then we'd have much of the Scriptures in read form, though admittedly not all. 
Well, we could try recording for LibriVox if anyone knows how to do that.  I don't, as far I know, have appropriate recording software.  (Just a Fisher-Price cassette thing (!).)
The New Testament is available on CD from St. Joseph Communications. I have it and it is great. I don't know why they don't advertise it. I have received several of their mailings and email newsletters since it was released last year and they never mention it. Know though, this is neither the Challoner revision nor the original 1582 Rheims New Testament. The narrator reads from a 1600's version of the Rheims. I don't remember the exact year. Although it is close, the wording does not exactly match either edition. Anyway, it is still a valuable resource.
Here is a link

militiaimmaculata

Pages: 1 2 3