FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Drunkenness
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
  I know that there is no way to answer this question for sure, but I have found that there is a wide discrepancy between what different orthodox Catholics consider to be an appropriate level of being 'happy.'

Obviously specifically how many drinks one can have without being drunk depends on the person and the day, but I was just curious as to how others know, explain, and understand their limit.
I would say if your judgment or reflexes are noticably affected, you have drunk too much.
Is drunkeness always a mortal sin?  If not, how does one know when one has drunk enough for it to be grave.

These are questions I've been struggling with since turning 21.  I want to enjoy going out and alcohol in moderation, but the line between whats acceptable and not seems to be so fine.
As a priest once told me in Confession: once you start to get dizzy, stop. That way you'll be convivial, and still not act silly.
The problem with drunkenness is that it affects your judgement.  An otherwise well-developed conscience can go awry when you've been in the bottle.  But like you say, it's different for each person.  Someone might not be a bad drunken decisionmaker, so they'd be less prone to sin.

Here's the point: drinking itself isn't a sin.  But it may be a pretty reliable gateway to other sins.  Does that help?
Those things definitely help.  I think its all things I already knew and just had to focus on.

I find it pretty easy to stay in moderation, but there are some quite good domestic beers here in Wisconsin and I am Irish afterall. [Image: shamrock.gif][Image: beer2.gif]
It's a good thing 'hilaritatem' is loosely defined. I find falling into coffee tables hilarious.

To be serious though, when you stop thinking/caring about consequences you need to stop.
Walty Wrote:Those things definitely help.  I think its all things I already knew and just had to focus on.

I find it pretty easy to stay in moderation, but there are some quite good domestic beers here in Wisconsin and I am Irish afterall. [Image: shamrock.gif][Image: beer2.gif]

I must have some Irish in me too. I can't get enough of dark stout.

I know my limits though. Two beers maximum and I'm kaput.
fridayer Wrote:
Walty Wrote:Those things definitely help.  I think its all things I already knew and just had to focus on.

I must have some Irish in me too. I can't get enough of dark stout.

I know my limits though. Two beers maximum and I'm kaput.

Just pace yourself. If you're tossing them back, then I could see a problem with two. However, if the company and discussion is good, you could end up drinking more just because it would be so long between swallows that your body would metabolize it.

Think of training for a maraton and then apply it! [Image: beer2.gif]
Am I the only non-drinking Irish Catholic on the planet?  I blame football season...year after year of a house full of drunken football fans (including a few priests and nuns) can do that to a person. [Image: sobstory.gif]

So yeah, I'm no fun. But on the upside, I have been able to avoid those "sins of drunken decision making" that WRC eluded to.  Oh, wait.  That means that all of my bad decisions are the result of sober thinking...

Never mind.