FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Aspergers and ADHD
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
kjvail Wrote:Asperger's is on the "Autism spectrum", and that's what I believe the statistics represent. I could be wrong though.

It is a disability, to one degree or another, and the rapid increase of it's occurrence is very disturbing.
While Asperger's is on "The Spectrum," it is the pick of the litter. While it is difficult coping, it sure beats being locked in an uncommunicative shell of a body and being unable to do anything for oneself.
kjvail Wrote:
DarkKnight Wrote:
kjvail Wrote:
Traditio Wrote:ADHD is a false "diagnosis" used to gain pharmaceutical profits.

As far as ADHD is concerned I'm inclined to agree with you but Asperger's is very real and very frightening given the exponential growth of the disorder among children in the last 20 years. Last I read I believe it was upto 1 in 14 children, something is definitely going on.

I believe you are confusing the stats for Aspergers (which is on the Autism spectrum) with the numbers for Autism itself. I have never seen Asperger's numbers so high.

I'm not quite sure why you consider Asperger's frightening, either.

Asperger's is on the "Autism spectrum", and that's what I believe the statistics represent. I could be wrong though.

It is a disability, to one degree or another, and the rapid increase of it's occurrence is very disturbing.
I've thought about the numbers a lot lately, because these "frightening" statistics are put out all the time. From my observation, autism (non-Aspergers) runs in my family. Though, except for my son, they were all from an earlier generation and they have passed away and were never diagnosed as such. One family member was considered brain-damaged or just not socialized because she didn't go to school much. Great-uncle Tom was just "shy" and a little slow. My cousin just wasn't "socialized" and he needed meds (that then made him zombie like, I remember). When my son started showing the same signs as so many others in my family I really started looking into it. He's non-Aspergers, but autistic. Even when he was young, anyone considered having autism was supposedly mute, unresponsive, etc. If you had autism, it was severe. Now people like my son are considered autistic and when I think back on so many people I've known in my life, I realize how many of them would be considered autistic now, too. IOW, the diagnoses has changed, IMO, not the rate of autism. This is just my take, I could be wildly off-base.   
My opinion agrees with RR's. Until the late 20th century autism = Rainman.
We can all think of people we knew in the past or adults we even know now that would fall on the spectrum (at least to those of us familiar with ASD's) but never had a label.
Add to the huge broadening of the diagnosis, the number of parents that actually push for an ASD dx when it is iffy you get an inflated, frightening looking statistic.
But that is just my opinion. As a parent in 2008, I don't find myself interacting with any more 'different' children now then I did as a child in the 70's.

My son has Asperger's. Mild but definitely on the spectrum. Most people find him different but only people with experience with ASD kids peg him as having Asperger's or being somewhere on the spectrum.
I have a mild case of Aspergers. Undiagnosed but I do exhibit the symptoms, and if people hang around me too long they sometimes start to notice. It's not a problem for me. I've no experience with the extreme cases so far though.

DarkKnight Wrote:
kjvail Wrote:Asperger's is on the "Autism spectrum", and that's what I believe the statistics represent. I could be wrong though.

While Asperger's is on "The Spectrum," it is the pick of the litter. While it is difficult coping, it sure beats being locked in an uncommunicative shell of a body and being unable to do anything for oneself.

Yup.  We thought my brother was an Aspie for a number of years, but now we're certain he's a high functioning autistic.

VoxClamantis Wrote:Heya, I am wondering if anyone out there has had any personal experiences with someone who has Aspergers and/or ADHD (or if anyone out there has received either of those diagnoses himself). Just looking for general advice, information, tips, etc. It'd be especially beneficial to hear from a person with Aspergers talk about the inner lives and frustrations of those with that affliction... Thanks!

I'll be frank, that its difficult to have a family member with autism.  According to the stories my mom has told me, he began to experience development delays at about 14 months (after he got the MMR).

He exhibited many of the classic symptoms like compulsions, "hand-flapping", and self-injury.  However, my mom put an extensive amount of time into Applied Behavior Analysis to correct these behaviors (This is key.  Early intervention is the best treatment for autism.)

In regards to schooling, he was fine up until third grade.  My mom assisted all of us with our studies, and he got straight As until then.  However, then he started to need extra assistance in the classroom (which the cheapskates on the school board weren't willing to give and they thought he'd be "better served" with the MR/DD kids), and he started to get picked on (kids are jerks).  Long story short, we went through a long, drawn out battle with the school system and county board of education.  Mom worked with other parents to start a school for kids with autism, but in the end this didn't help my brother.  By my freshmen year of high school, she ended up enrolling him in an online school, the Ohio Distance & Electronic Learning Academy, and he excelled.  Now he's a computer science major, and doing quite well.

I think he'll end up doing well.  We still have to see if he can hold a job, and live on his own.  He has no interest in a romantic relationship, but perhaps that will change in the future.
MeaMaximaCulpa Wrote:He exhibited many of the classic symptoms like compulsions, "hand-flapping", and self-injury...

In regards to schooling, he was fine up until third grade.  My mom assisted all of us with our studies, and he got straight As until then.  However, then he started to need extra assistance in the classroom (which the cheapskates on the school board weren't willing to give and they thought he'd be "better served" with the MR/DD kids), and he started to get picked on (kids are jerks). 
It's amazing that this sounds exactly as if you were talking about my son!
jovan66102 Wrote:
Traditio Wrote:ADHD is a false "diagnosis" used to gain pharmaceutical profits.
 Bullsh**! I have it and I, for one, know better!

QFT.

I have it, but I've been off meds for 10 years now. Been checked for Aspergers, but apparently I'm not "bad" enough. Still socially inept, that's for sure.
VoxClamantis Wrote:Heya, I am wondering if anyone out there has had any personal experiences with someone who has Aspergers and/or ADHD (or if anyone out there has received either of those diagnoses himself). Just looking for general advice, information, tips, etc. It'd be especially beneficial to hear from a person with Aspergers talk about the inner lives and frustrations of those with that affliction... Thanks!

What would you want to know? Perhaps you could PM me or send an email. I typically do not talk about private matters of my own life, or that of others, on public forums.
I have an estranged relationship with my oldest now because we never knew about aspergers. Im ashamed and hurt, and wish I knew then what I Know now. Now hes angry and frustrated with us as we have been with him since he hit puberty. Everyone said from priests to counsilers..."oh hes just 17 thats how they are"...they didnt see the odd behavior, the lack of empathy and affection. The recluse behavior. The lack of empathy being the most maddening. I really wish I could explain clearer to you all the pain weve been through.
LaRoza Wrote:

What would you want to know? Perhaps you could PM me or send an email. I typically do not talk about private matters of my own life, or that of others, on public forums.

I'll make sure Vox sees this.  Thanks! :)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14