FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Aspergers and ADHD
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
QuisUtDeus Wrote:
LaRoza Wrote:
VoxClamantis Wrote:Heya, I am wondering if anyone out there has had any personal experiences with someone who has Aspergers and/or ADHD (or if anyone out there has received either of those diagnoses himself). Just looking for general advice, information, tips, etc. It'd be especially beneficial to hear from a person with Aspergers talk about the inner lives and frustrations of those with that affliction... Thanks!

What would you want to know? Perhaps you could PM me or send an email. I typically do not talk about private matters of my own life, or that of others, on public forums.

I'll make sure Vox sees this.  Thanks! :)

I am actually writing a book which touches on the subject, however, it is not even near completion (I'm working on a religious book at the moment, and haven't worked on that one since).

I hope I can help with whatever questions she has. It takes a lot of time for us to really get used to the world (as hard as things may seem during childhood/puberty, it isn't like that forever) and I think it is important for such people to have contacts who are older and more experienced.
voxpopulisuxx Wrote:I have an estranged relationship with my oldest now because we never knew about aspergers. Im ashamed and hurt, and wish I knew then what I Know now. Now hes angry and frustrated with us as we have been with him since he hit puberty. Everyone said from priests to counsilers..."oh hes just 17 thats how they are"...they didnt see the odd behavior, the lack of empathy and affection. The recluse behavior. The lack of empathy being the most maddening. I really wish I could explain clearer to you all the pain weve been through.

Don't beat yourself up.  I had kind of the same thing.  I thought my son was just a geek like his dad.  And he is a geek, but he also has aspergers.

Because of where I work, aspergers and ADHD isn't all that uncommon.  Software engineers are paid to be good programmers, not polite, so that type of behavior is kind of the norm.

My guilt is a little different.  Thinking it was just geekiness, I didn't really correct him or punish him.  Then, he started having trouble socially and academically last year, and his mother (Vox is his stepmom) made things worse because, well, to be polite, she's a problem herself.

To make a long story short, I feel really guility for not seeing that he had something more than geekiness so that I could have stepped in sooner and prevented some of the pain he felt, and I'm sure he still feels, both with bad grades and kids making fun of him.

One night I asked my 12 year old to forgive me, and I was bawling like a baby and the whole bit.  He gave me a hug and forgave me, but I still feel like $0.02, and I probably always will...

If you haven't, you should ask his forgiveness.  Even if he doesn't forgive you, or even if he forgives you but has anger, I think it will go a long way in the end.  If nothing else, it will reaffirm to him that he wasn't doing anything wrong, and, more importantly he will have validation from you on that.
Quis thank you, I did apologise for being angry....only to get angry again. (I have anger issues...my confessor and I have been working on this)
[Image: prayer3.gif][Image: prayer3.gif][Image: prayer3.gif]

Prayers for all the families affected by asperger, autism, and ADHD. May the Christ Child bless your homes with His Peace in the coming year.

AdoramusTeChriste Wrote:[Image: prayer3.gif][Image: prayer3.gif][Image: prayer3.gif]

Prayers for all the families affected by asperger... May the Christ Child bless your homes with His Peace in the coming year.

Thanks, sort of, but I'd rather prayers for families affected by NT's. They are the real problem. :)
LaRoza Wrote:
AdoramusTeChriste Wrote:[Image: prayer3.gif][Image: prayer3.gif][Image: prayer3.gif]

Prayers for all the families affected by asperger... May the Christ Child bless your homes with His Peace in the coming year.

Thanks, sort of, but I'd rather prayers for families affected by NT's. They are the real problem. :)

NTs... hmmmm... Nortel stock? New Testament? Neurotoxins, maybe?
AdoramusTeChriste Wrote:NTs... hmmmm... Nortel stock? New Testament? Neurotoxins, maybe?

Neurotypical.

It is the affliction which most of society has. It is characterised by lying without intent to deceive, being overly emotional and touchy feeling, requiring great stimulation to be comfortable, and general untrusting of those who are different.

LaRoza Wrote:
AdoramusTeChriste Wrote:NTs... hmmmm... Nortel stock? New Testament? Neurotoxins, maybe?

Neurotypical.

It is the affliction which most of society has. It is characterised by lying without intent to deceive, being overly emotional and touchy feeling, requiring great stimulation to be comfortable, and general untrusting of those who are different.

I am hoping you realize, of course, that the description you just gave is from a parody site, don't you? I expect that you do, given the smiley after your reply.

How neurotypical of ye.
AdoramusTeChriste Wrote:I am hoping you realize, of course, that the description you just gave is from a parody site, don't you? I expect that you do, given the smiley after your reply.

How neurotypical of ye.

I never saw that site actually and was speaking my opinion. The smiley was to prevent any hard feelings like you all are prone to having when confronted with the truth.

I resent any efforts to change me by those who would be better off changed themselves.
LaRoza Wrote:
AdoramusTeChriste Wrote:I am hoping you realize, of course, that the description you just gave is from a parody site, don't you? I expect that you do, given the smiley after your reply.

How neurotypical of ye.

I never saw that site actually and was speaking my opinion. The smiley was to prevent any hard feelings like you all are prone to having when confronted with the truth.

I resent any efforts to change me by those who would be better off changed themselves.

FYI, you aren't the only poster on this (or the other) thread. It looked to me as if some of the posters could use a prayer or two to help them with the challenges they are facing, as evidenced by their posts. My prayers were not offered to change you, Laroza. They were offered to ask Christ's blessing of peace in the homes of the fisheaters who need God's help.

Honestly. Who doesn't need an extra prayer now and again? Regardless, I am sorry if you were offended.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14