FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Recipe for abstinence
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
No, this isn't a thread about dating ugly girls.

Since learning to forgo meat on Fridays (and we're starting to incorporate this plan into Wednesdays too), my lovely wife and I are starting to get into a fish-rut.

So help!  I'm looking for meatless recipes that are not too expensive, not made of cheese-covered-carbohydrates, are not soup and do not taste like cardboard covered with mustard.

Please.  Help.  Please.
I'm a vegan. I haven't eaten the flesh of dead animals for years without any problems and in great health.

Surely you can get through two days a week ;)

WRC,

Call the Orthodox Churches (Annunciation Greek, Holy Trinity Russian and St George Serbian) and St Luke's Byzantine in Sugar Creek and ask about parish cookbooks. Look for 'lenten recipes'. Since the Orthodox and EC's have four 'lents' or periods of fast and abstinence, the babas have developed a lot of delicious meatless meals.
LaRoza Wrote:I'm a vegan. I haven't eaten the flesh of dead animals for years without any problems and in great health.

Congratulations on your veganism.  I mean, really.  Wow.  Can I pat you on the back?  Just amazing.  Super.  Hootiehoo.

Now.  Any favorite recipes or ideas to share?
WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:
LaRoza Wrote:I'm a vegan. I haven't eaten the flesh of dead animals for years without any problems and in great health.

Congratulations on your veganism.  I mean, really.  Wow.  Can I pat you on the back?  Just amazing.  Super.  Hootiehoo.

Well, to me, abstaining means just that. Sure, I could give you my favourite foods and preparations, but that would defeat the purpose, wouldn't it?

It isn't like hunks of dead flesh are a natural delicacy ;)

I also have a very simple life and diet. To me, plain Italian bread with extra virgin olive oil (first cold press only), is a great meal. I'm not one for complex recipes.
LaRoza Wrote:Well, to me, abstaining means just that. Sure, I could give you my favourite foods and preparations, but that would defeat the purpose, wouldn't it?
It wouldn't. 

LaRoza Wrote:It isn't like hunks of dead flesh are a natural delicacy ;)

Nevermind then.  Anyone else?
I've been thinking through this also. We've had Red Beans and Rice, just omitting the ham or sausage. I dunno if you are into this, but Morningstar Farms and Boca both make some amazing chicken patties, burger patties, etc out of veggies. One of my favorite things to do is warm up a few Veggie Chicken Nuggets, chop them coursely and toss them in your favorite buffalo wing sauce. Then I put them on top of a huge salad made of whatever fresh produce you prefer. Top with a sprinkle of cheese and\or a few croutons, ranch or Blue Cheese dressing and it's beyond delicious.

Here's a really good recipe for Friday:

Sugo di Pomodoro Semplice
2 (28 ounce) cans of crushed tomatoes
3 Tablespoons Olive oil
2 garlic cloves, peeled, minced
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
4 leaves fresh basil  (I've also used a blend of dried basil and italian seasonings when I don't have fresh on hand)

Heat olive oil and garlic in a large pot. Saute garlic until just about golden. Add tomatoes, 2 teaspoons of salt, crushed red pepper, and basil. Reduce heat to low and simmer about 1 1\2 hours.

Now, for Fridays to beef this up, add: 
3\4 c. of chopped spinach
sliced black olives to your taste (I use about 1\3 cup)
1 package of fresh brown button mushrooms (whole or just cut in half)

You can add any of your other favorite vegetables...shredded carrots, red or green peppers, onions, etc. The sauce is your oyster. ;)

Serve it over your favorite pasta and top with a sprinkle of either grated parmesan or shredded mozarella. You can really dress this meal up by adding garden side salads, crusty Italian or garlic bread, and a nice wine.

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.
Latkes? Fish chowder? Tuna cakes? Lentil burgers? Angel hair pasta with kalamata olives? Onion quiche? Red beans in wine? Spinach souffle? Corn and apple pancakes? Stop me if any of these sound good to you.

I've recommended it elsewhere on this site, but Recipes from a Monastery Kitchen is a great little cookbook and all the recipes are either vegetarian or involve fish (only a few of those, though). It's much more sophisticated than the usual cheese-topped carbohydrate (which menus I happen to love, by the way), but being conventual, fairly austere.
LaRoza Wrote:
WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:

Well, to me, abstaining means just that. Sure, I could give you my favourite foods and preparations, but that would defeat the purpose, wouldn't it?

It isn't like hunks of dead flesh are a natural delicacy ;)

I also have a very simple life and diet. To me, plain Italian bread with extra virgin olive oil (first cold press only), is a great meal. I'm not one for complex recipes.

I so hate it when vegans get self-righteous and try to refer to animal products using unappetizing terms. Yes we get it, you are a vegan. Mazel Tov
Paloma Wrote:I so hate it when vegans get self-righteous and try to refer to animal products using unappetizing terms. Yes we get it, you are a vegan. Mazel Tov

What should I say? I have no problems with other people eating whatever they want. Hunters don't bother me, and they know exactly what they are doing. It isn't like referring to dead animals as such is "unappetizing" unless you don't like them to begin with (meaning, only vegetarians would find that unappetizing).

Now if you want to put away your misconceptions, and know what I meant, I was merely saying that abstinance to me means more than refraining from a particular form of food (ie, meat), but to refrain from the more pleasant forms of food, which can be anything. I fast and abstain, but do so in a different way. It didn't make sense to me to abstain from meat, while substituting other delicacies, even ones without meat.

I hate it when non vegans get so judgemental and defensive when I mention my lifestyle... You all preach so much more.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15