FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: In Need of Cookie Goodness
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My husband's place of work is having a Christmas cookie contest next week. As an impassioned baker of cookies, I greatly covet the honor of a first place win for my house, but my own tastes are simple. Ginger snaps, shortbread, sand tarts, spice cookies -- these are the tasty but plain goodies I usually make this time of year, and I'm afraid they might not be fancy enough to wow the judges.

Will all of you good ladies and gentlemen who enjoy baking please share your best Christmas cookie recipe? We'd appreciate it.
I'm guessing since its a Christmas cookie contest, there will be an emphasis on appearance. I bet you can take one of your tried and true recipes and decorate it all fancy-like.

I always think drop cookies taste the best but its the roll out - cookie cutter type that gets the visual wow.

I'm not much of a cookie maker (my skill is mostly in eating them,) so I'm not much help as far as recipes go. :(
I was on foodnetwork.com and found this recipe for chocolate peppermint cookies that looks absolutely delicious. http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/chocol...27290.html
I make gingerbread that get many complements...

I add twice as much cinnamon as ginger (because I like cinnamon better).

I guess it is more like cinnamon bread. It is good.

Also, oatmeal scotchies made with the oatmeal raisin recipe off the lid of the quaker oatmeal container is wonderful.
Cream Cheese Cookies~
1/4 Cup butter ( softened)
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese
1 egg yolk
1/4 tsp. vanilla
1 pkg. yellow cake mix
Cream butter and cream cheese, blend in egg yolk and vanilla. Add cake mix (dry) 1/3 at a time mixing well after each addition. Cover and chill 30 minutes. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes at 375.

these are awesome!!!!
I love those cream cheese cookies! My aunt found that recipe in her (really old) Betty Crocker cookbook years ago, and made them all the time when I was growing up. You can do it with a chocolate cake mix too, but I prefer yellow.
What did Satori finally make, I wonder? 

I do a lemon cooler - my friend calls them Lemon Stealth Cookies. You just sub lemon juice for water in a normal lemon cooler recipe and proceed as usual - try to bake them all in one batch before the lemon juice starts breaking down the other ingredients.

Most people enter heavily spiced and/or rich cookies, and compared to those the lemon seems refreshing and light, it cleanses the palate.  I gave some to a neighbor for Christmas a couple of years ago and she plopped them on a green plate and entered them in her work contest and won - she bought my silence with half the prize money. 

This is a family recipe, but I don't know the origin. I promise they are the best sugar cookies you will ever eat... like nothing you have had before.

Grandma’s Sugar Cookies:

Preheat Oven: 350

3C Powdered Sugar

2C Butter

(cream^)

2 Eggs

2tsp Vanilla

1tsp Almond Extract

(add^)

5C Flour

(add gradually^)

2tsp Baking Soda

2tsp Cr. of Tarter

*Mix and Chill for 2-3 Hours (I cover the bowl in a kitchen towel, and top with a plate)

*Take dough from fridge, let sit for about 20 min. (or workable consistency)

*Roll out (separate dough into 3-4 sections-cover work surface in a mixture of powder sugar and flour- roll thin), Cut, Bake 6-7 min (don't over bake! I like them "just done")

note: My mom and I only re-use rolled out dough once, but my Grandma would use rolled dough until it was gone. It is up to you.

Frosting:

3 ½ C Powdered Sugar

½ C Crisco

(cream^)

2 Egg Whites

¼ tsp salt

2 tsp Vanilla

3 tsp Almond Extract

Food dye to desired color.

note: The cookies get melt-in-your mouth, buttery soft after frosting has been on for a couple hours.

Satori Wrote:My husband's place of work is having a Christmas cookie contest next week. As an impassioned baker of cookies, I greatly covet the honor of a first place win for my house, but my own tastes are simple. Ginger snaps, shortbread, sand tarts, spice cookies -- these are the tasty but plain goodies I usually make this time of year, and I'm afraid they might not be fancy enough to wow the judges.

Will all of you good ladies and gentlemen who enjoy baking please share your best Christmas cookie recipe? We'd appreciate it.

Do you own a real mixer? I'd like a really good mixer some day. It would be so much easier. I tend to burn the motor out on my hand held mixer this time of year. ..... *sigh*

I don't usually do anything too fancy, either.

I make scotch-bread for my husband to give out as gifts at work.

And of course the classic Christmas cookie, which is fun for the kids to help with.

Anything with nuts and swirls of chocolate and confectioners sugar could be a contender, maybe......
there are quite a few cyber cookie exchanges going on around the Net.

http://www.faithandfamilylive.com

has one active right now
Pages: 1 2