FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Catholic Wine Labels?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Can anyone recommend a wine label easily bought in any neighborhood liquor store?  Often when invited to someone's house or apartment I will bring a bottle of wine, and I thought why not in doing so support a monastery or some Catholic community that might receive a share of the profits?
I don't drink and my aunt and her Italian fiance make all the wine that they bring to family parties, so we obviously don't do much alcohol shopping. Sorry.
Red or White? As far as decent, inexpensive red wines I would suggest any wine from Chile'. The Conchy Y Toro wines are available almost everywhere and are a decent table wine.

---IM
I would highly recommend White Lady of Starkenburg:

[Image: white_lady_thumb.jpg]

Not only is it named after a famous statue of Our Lady at a popular local pilgrimage shrine (Starkenburg), the Vineyards, like most of the vineyards in that section of the Missouri River Valley, are run by a bunch of west german catholics Smile. Good stuff.

Reichsjager Wrote:I would highly recommend White Lady of Starkenburg:

Not only is it named after a famous statue of Our Lady at a popular local pilgrimage shrine (Starkenburg), the Vineyards, like most of the vineyards in that section of the Missouri River Valley, are run by a bunch of west german catholics Smile. Good stuff.
Thank you; is this easily gotten a local liquor stores?  I will keep an eye out for it. 
Miquelot Wrote:
Reichsjager Wrote:I would highly recommend White Lady of Starkenburg:

Thank you; is this easily gotten a local liquor stores?  I will keep an eye out for it. 

It's all over the place here in St. Louis. The Missouri River Valley wines are very good, especially the ones from Hermann and Augusta, MO. You should have no trouble finding them in wine shops and such, or at the very least you should be able to have them order it for you. Or, failing that, you can go to Hermannhof's website
If it's an historically Catholic wine label you want, look for Beringer. They were the only winery officially permitted to produce wine in the USA during the years of prohibition. They produced wine for the Church.
Gabriel Wrote:If it's an historically Catholic wine label you want, look for Beringer. They were the only winery officially permitted to produce wine in the USA during the years of prohibition. They produced wine for the Church.
It doesn't have to be historical -- I only wanted to support a monastery, etc. with my purchases -- but I will make a note of Beringer as well as White Lady.  Much appreciated. 
I have in front of me a bottle of red wine, a wines of the Minervois appellation, from the Abbaye de Tholomies.  I don't believe the Abbaye de Tholomies is a monastery any longer, but it will make an interesting conversation piece when we bring it to a wedding reception this afternoon. 
Is the Blue Nun or Liebfraumilch still monastic brewed? I think I read that a lot of the Rhine valley wines were originally brewed by monks in East Germany, but after WWII what could be salvaged was taken to the Rhine, but was just a commercial operation like any other winemaker from there on. I believe Liebfraumilch means "milk of the lady" or something like that.
Pages: 1 2