FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Bp W Column 2.7.09
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hmm.... I really admire him, so who's the hero he's talking about?
CatholicThurifer Wrote:Hmm.... I really admire him, so who's the hero he's talking about?

He wrote about Beethoven's Eroica.
Awesome! Thank you!
Interesting how tradition in music (and all of the arts) is what gives something it's stability. 

Beethoven was an innovator only at the service of what needed to be done and his innovations were rooted in traditions.  That's why Beethoven's music has an Eternal quality to it.  Similar to the thinking of St. Thomas Aquinas resting on the structures of Aristotle and the thoughts of the Fathers and the Magisterium of the Church. 

Contrast that with something like the Novus Ordo, which is built upon the idea of getting away from traditions.  Like Music of Avante Garde composers who's names are easily forgotten, it's unstable, grating, irritating, hollow and transient.

Anybody have a particular Conductor/Orchestra that they would recommend for this movement of Beethoven's 3rd? 

Funny that Beethoven in his day represented a radical revolution from the music of the time before. 

I must say that I prefer an excellent rendition of good sacred polyphony.

Low renaissance
http://www.pomerium.com

High renaissance
http://www.amazon.com/Palestrina-G-Chora...001N7S55Q/

And even a balance of great voices.
http://www.amazon.com/Chanticleer-Magnif...00004SDN3/

Beethoven is a bit too over the top for nice quiet background music.

It was Beethoven's expressive power that distinguished him over others. 

Clementi actually paved the way for Beethoven with his innovations in boht keyboard performance and  advances in piano. And there was plenty of virtuosity in that day.  Carl Maria von Weber makes Beethoven's music look sparse. 

Also at the same time John Field was creating miniatures and a new form called the Nocturne which would influence Chopin and the whole generation of Romantics. 

Then there was this little guy named Franz Schubert who just worshipped Beethoven and wanted to do everything Beethoven did but in his own distinctive voice. 

All of these composers were grounded in the fundamentals of Bach and the music of the Church. 

But after all of that, I think the bishop is making the point that all good things in culture are either born from the Church or have been reformed into something good by the Church.
It just occurred to me today. 

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but what do you make of this take on the bishop's letter?

Quote:"Lord, grant us heroes of the Faith, heroes both tender and valiant, heroes of the Church! Kyrie eleison."

The bishop's prayer is for God to send us heroes.  That means we don't have those heroes now.  Even though we previously had built our hopes on some individuals.

Quote:But the music remained unchanged:

The mission of the faithful has not changed despite the "talk" of unity and the demands for adherence to Vatican II? 

Quote: "It is the musical portrait of a hero, originally Napoleon, until Beethoven learned that from First Consul of the French Republic he had made himself into an old-style Emperor of the French Empire, whereupon Beethoven ripped out the dedication page to Napoleon and dedicated the symphony instead to a hero."

People had their hopes in Napoleon and he betrayed them.

Is that Pope Benedict?  Is it Bishop Fellay?

Could Beethoven be representative of the bishop and could he be calling for a new yet unknown hero to be brought forth by God?