FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Catholicism is NOT just another life choice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
PaxVobiscum Wrote:Is it worse for a teacher to break the Church's marriage laws or for a priest, who is supposed to be chaste, to have sex with teenaged parishioners?

They are both very bad. In both cases they should be removed from positions having that sort of responsibility. A woman who commits to an adulterous marriage has forfeit her right to teach in a Catholic school. It's a public scandal.

Quote: As I said, a lot of people, including Catholics and including the students at that school, will compare what happened to the teacher with what didn't happen to the sexually abusive priests. Not many will be roooting for the school or the Church on this.

And everytime someone embarks on a course of public sin, people will say "but priests molested children, so put your own house in order and don't call it sin" The scandal in the Church caused by perverted priests has been devastating, but it came from an attitude of tolerance, not an attitude of intolerance.
[/QUOTE]
PaxVobiscum Wrote:I still maintain this was badly handled but will not spend more time arguing the point with those who are delighted that the teacher was fired. I would ask that you think about all the "pedophile" priests who were/are allowed to remain in ministry, having sex with teenaged boys for the most part (thus they're not pedophiles but ephebophiles.)

Pax, you're the one who is pushing this argument as some sort of excuse. One thing has nothing to do one with the other. You're trying to look over this lady's scandal because some bishops in the past have failed to remove paedophile priests from their dioceses. If we were to abide by your logic, the Church wouldn't be able to enforce her discipline and laws anymore in the future since she had failed to do so once in the past.

You see, no other teacher could be removed from office again, no matter what the scandal, because according to you, since some churchmen failed on the paedophile priests scandal, then the Church would have no moral to enforce discipline again, nor would Catholic schools and institutions be able to make their employees and students abide by Church law.

Quote:Is it worse for a teacher to break the Church's marriage laws or for a priest, who is supposed to be chaste, to have sex with teenaged parishioners?

Both are grave sins, one thing doesn't exclude the other. You're the one who's apparently trying to say that once the first situation was badly handled, then we must close our eyes to every other scandal that may occur. That indeed would be the suicide of the Church and her discipline!

Quote:As I said, a lot of people, including Catholics and including the students at that school, will compare what happened to the teacher with what didn't happen to the sexually abusive priests. Not many will be rooting for the school or the Church on this.

Any catholic who knows and believes his faith is aware that both cases are scandals against the Faith. However, those who will put themselves against the Church because of this case will only be using it as another pretext to confirm their infidelity and hatred towards the Church.

Furthermore, as I said before, the enforcement of Church doctrine is not dependent on public opinions or polls.
DrBombay Wrote:Or maybe the school will use this as an opportunity to expound on the Church's teaching about marriage. Sounds like those in charge of this school at least have balls, something that's been sadly lacking in the past few decades.

zackly
PaxVobiscum Wrote:I still maintain this was badly handled but will not spend more time arguing the point with those who are delighted that the teacher was fired. I would ask that you think about all the "pedophile" priests who were/are allowed to remain in ministry, having sex with teenaged boys for the most part (thus they're not pedophiles but ephebophiles.)

Is it worse for a teacher to break the Church's marriage laws or for a priest, who is supposed to be chaste, to have sex with teenaged parishioners? As I said, a lot of people, including Catholics and including the students at that school, will compare what happened to the teacher with what didn't happen to the sexually abusive priests. Not many will be roooting for the school or the Church on this.

Pax the story is from a secular news source, you know you havent heard the whole story, Ill bet she was a problem teacher in other areas (just a hunch) and this was the final straw when she allowed the story of her scandelous marriage be published in the school paper of AN ALL BOY school. I admire your concern on one hand but your credulity needs to be worked on. An all boy school is no place for a loose woman to be teaching. And as I said you only know half the story, the half biased against the Church.
And on a Personal note, I am a child of divorce...if I had power over this world I would ban divorce and make it punishable with jail time...divorce in families with kids is spiritual wreckage and tragedy all around...not just another life choice...as I Posted
She was given up front the option to resign.  If she had resigned quietly, this would not be in the news, no one would have been scandalized, and she could have easily sought new employment.  Why can't people accept their errors and move on?

This whole story could have been stopped by one person, this woman.  There is no reason to blame the school who has every right to hold their staff to uphold catholic morals.  This is just more of the incessant victimhood of modern society.  Everyone thinks they get something for nothing, and the media cries foul when they don't.
miss_fluffy Wrote:She was given up front the option to resign.  If she had resigned quietly, this would not be in the news, no one would have been scandalized, and she could have easily sought new employment.  Why can't people accept their errors and move on?

This whole story could have been stopped by one person, this woman.  There is no reason to blame the school who has every right to hold their staff to uphold catholic morals.  This is just more of the incessant victimhood of modern society.  Everyone thinks they get something for nothing, and the media cries foul when they don't.

zackly
Pages: 1 2