FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Peter's Pence: How Much?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What should the typical Peter's Pence offering be?  Is it a tithe that matches one's weekly offering?  More?  Less?  What is traditional or recommended by the clergy, the Vatican, etc.? 
Before I converted to Catholicism, I tithed 10% of my income to my particular protestant church.  During my catechism, I asked my parish priest how to give a regular monetary offering to the Church - whether tithing 10% was obligatory or not.  He said the 10% tithe was not strictly obligatory but it's a good way of giving your support to the Church and your parish.

I try to tithe 10% of my income (not out of obligation but for personal reasons) to my parish.  Any other offerings (Peter's Pence, missions, etc.)  I try to give 10% of my monthly offering tithe.

So if I tithe (for example - this is not the amount I give) $300 monthly to my parish, I'll give $30 to the Peter's Pence, missions, etc.

Try to give what you can reasonably offer.  That's the best recommendation I can give.

this is intersting thread.

i wonder what percenatge of catholics give 10% of their earnings to the church.

any statistics on this?

i never really thouyght about this aspect of being catholic before.
Supposedly, the collection on the Sunday nearest the feast of Saints Peter and Paul is for Peter's Pence.

I'm not aware of any guidelines for individual donations outside of that. The vast majority of Catholics are probably unaware that Peter's Pence even exists, and probably think the Vatican is supported by a sort of tax automatically taken from every church or diocese if they think of it at all.

My best guess is that the Holy See would be grateful to get even one dollar, but a typical Sunday offering is probably a good rule for yourself if you're going to go through the trouble of looking up the mailing address for Peter's Pence, getting overseas stamps, etc.
(02-22-2009, 10:37 AM)mike6240 Wrote: [ -> ]I try to tithe 10% of my income (not out of obligation but for personal reasons) to my parish.  Any other offerings (Peter's Pence, missions, etc.)  I try to give 10% of my monthly offering tithe.

"tithe" means "tenth", and as a verb, is a tenth of one's income, so the "10% of my income" is redundant Smile

"I try to tithe (not out of obligation...."
A decent discussion of tithing here: http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...446.0.html
thank for coments!

i read that thread wrc. tx!