FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Lay Person Distributing Ashes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I realize ashes are sacramental and not a sacrament.  Given the laity are permitted to distribute Holy Communion at NO I see where distributing ashes could be perceived as a lesser task.  So if they can distribute Communion then why not ashes?  However, I was appalled today seeing a lay person performing this task.  As I was in her line it forced me to cross over to the priest, thus bringing attention to myself. 

What are your thoughts? 
Laity should be doing none of these things. But it's true that ashes are not the same as distributing the Eucharist.
If the laity can handle the Sacred Immolated Victim for our Salvation with impunity a little bit dust is nothing.

What passes for a prayer of blessing the ashes is pathetic and laughable.
MisterScrewtape Wrote:What passes for a prayer of blessing the ashes is pathetic and laughable.

Huh?
After Mass the ashes lady stood talking to someone while a small group of us said the rosary.  It didn't seem to phase her that idle chat was more important than prayer.  If that's the amount of respect she has for the rosary then I doubt she has any more for her EMC duties.
Well, it does seem odd that if a layperson can handle the Sacred Species, why not ashes? And yet at our church only the priest and deacon distribute the ashes..saying the traditional prayer.

So much I don't understand..

- Lisa
From what I've found today, the "Book of Blessings" or "The Rites" allows for the laity to distribute ashes.  However, I also read someone state that the Roman Missal does not permit anyone but a priest so I'm still confused.  I know that it sure doesn't make sense that the non-ordained can perform this ritual.  If my bowling buddy can place ashes on my forehead, why can't I just do it and save time?
Ockham Wrote:I realize ashes are sacramental and not a sacrament.  Given the laity are permitted to distribute Holy Communion at NO I see where distributing ashes could be perceived as a lesser task.  So if they can distribute Communion then why not ashes?  However, I was appalled today seeing a lay person performing this task.  As I was in her line it forced me to cross over to the priest, thus bringing attention to myself. 

What are your thoughts? 

You could avoid all that trouble and confusion if you avoided the NO mass altogether. In the TLM the priest and the laity all know their proper places.
Ockham Wrote:If my bowling buddy can place ashes on my forehead, why can't I just do it and save time?

I believe with that line of thinking, one can easily just stay home since Ash Wednesday isn't a holy day of obligation, anyway.

1983 Code of Canon Law Wrote:Can. 1168 The minister of sacramentals is a cleric who has been provided with the requisite power. According to the norm of the liturgical books and to the judgment of the local ordinary lay persons who possess the appropriate qualities can also administer some sacramentals.
Pages: 1 2 3 4