FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Williamson Remark
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
If they can make Williamson buckle, is anyone safe?

From London, UK, 2/26/09

The Holy Father and my Superior, Bishop Bernard Fellay, have requested that I reconsider the remarks I made on Swedish television four months ago, because their consequences have been so heavy.

Observing these consequences I can truthfully say that I regret having made such remarks, and that if I had known beforehand the full harm and hurt to which they would give rise, especially to the Church, but also to survivors and relatives of victims of injustice under the Third Reich, I would not have made them.

On Swedish television I gave only the opinion (..."I believe"..."I believe"...) of a non-historian, an opinion formed 20 years ago on the basis of evidence then available and rarely expressed in public since. However, the events of recent weeks and the advice of senior members of the Society of St. Pius X have persuaded me of my responsibility for much distress caused. To all souls that took honest scandal from what I saidbefore God I apologise.

As the Holy Father has said, every act of injust violence against one man hurts all mankind.

+Richard Williamson
He still doesn't really retract the historical claims that he made.
well i for one am allot more aware and freaked at the power the Christ deniers and i mean all Christ deniers have over the Church. Not that i was naive before it just really hurts to see and see and see and see again.
I pray Bishop Williamson is being kept safe.

Credo Wrote:If they can make Williamson buckle, is anyone safe?
It was a politician's response. He did not lie about his historical beliefs as demanded but neither did clarify that Catholic religion does not require acceptance of the official holocaust story.
Walty Wrote:He still doesn't really retract the historical claims that he made.

True....he is merely offering apology for misunderstanding...sounds like someone puttinga little pressure,but would not classify as "buckling""
devotedknuckles Wrote:well i for one am allot more aware and freaked at the power the Christ deniers and i mean all Christ deniers have over the Church. Not that i was naive before it just really hurts to see and see and see and see again.
I pray Bishop Williamson is being kept safe.

We agree!!!!
It would seem that he has retracted his remarks.  It is interesting to note the remark that his was only the opinion (formed long ago) of a non-historian.  Does this mean that he admits an error?  It's not clear.  He does not go into specific details (i.e., number and method of those killed), however, it seems clear that has retracted his statement.
newschoolman Wrote:It would seem that he has retracted his remarks.  It is interesting to note the remark that his was only the opinion (formed long ago) of a non-historian.  Does this mean that he admits an error?  It's not clear.  He does not go into specific details (i.e., number and method of those killed), however, it seems clear that has retracted his statement.
The "non-historian" is himself. We already knew that. What has been retracted?
Quote: To all souls that took honest scandal from what I saidbefore God I apologise (sic).

This sentence seems to be the crux of his statement. He did not retract or change his opinion, he did not apologize to the Liberal troublemakers or the "rocks" trying to muddy the pond. He apologized for any harm or hurt to the Church and holocaust survivors or their relatives. He also apologized to all persons who might have been truly scandalized. (Both of them). 
Quote: To all souls that took honest scandal from what I saidbefore God I apologise.

The bishop is smarter than most people in general.  He has always said that you have to drag the conversation back to the language of the Church, if you capitulate to the language of the media, they've got you.

The fact that he says, "souls" will infuriate the secularists who want retraction because they don't believe in souls for one thing.  They are the soulless who took pseudo scandal from his perfectly legitimate statements.

All in all, he has actually handled this much better than the Holy Father handled the Regensburg hooplah. 

I just wish the Holy Father would realize what a valuable asset bishop Williamson is to the Church.  Maybe he will after rome has been converted by the SSPX in the words of Bishop Tissier. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4