FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Parish Collections
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
In the traditional Latin Mass, why is a second collection taken? The first collection is taken at the Offertory, and the second is right after Communion time. Perhaps this is just a practice peculiar to my church... Have others had experience with this? It is somewhat distracting to take a second collection right after people have received the Sacrament.
Both the ICRSS and the FSSP in my town take 2 collections.  No one has ever explained to me what the second is for; I don't chip in for #2 because I don't know what purpose it serves.
It might be that the second one isn't taxed by the Diocese.
MisterScrewtape Wrote:It might be that the second one isn't taxed by the Diocese.

The thing is my parish is administer by the SSPX. While the diocese would love to tax one of the few financially-sound church's in the area (so would the town - but that's anther story), they can't.
Oh.
I would ask the Pastor then. It might be for the District House or some other SSPX apostolate.
Might also be for maintence or something like that.
Credo Wrote:In the traditional Latin Mass, why is a second collection taken? The first collection is taken at the Offertory, and the second is right after Communion time. Perhaps this is just a practice peculiar to my church... Have others had experience with this? It is somewhat distracting to take a second collection right after people have received the Sacrament.

I do not why they do it that way. Second collections are usually done for a specific reason in any mass. Perhaps there is a mission, pantry or other purpose for it. I'm sure if you ask they will tell you why they have the second.
Our second collection (SSPX) varies from week-to-week. It can be for our school, the seminary, upkeep of church, etc. It always says in our bulletin what it is for.
Ours take a 2nd collection for the construction of a communion rail (and it's always announced what the 2nd one is for).
My parish takes two back to back collections at the offertory. The purpose of the second collection and the balance owed on the project is published every week in the bulletin. Currently it is to pay for A/C renovation. Prior to that it was to restore the beautiful stained glass windows. [Image: smile.gif]
My Church is FSSP.

The first collection goes to the church.

The second collection goes to the school, except for on the third Sunday of the month. That goes to the FSSP.
Pages: 1 2