FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Parish Boundaries?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What exactly are these? How do I find out which parish's territory I live in?

If I live in the boundaries for X parish can I still register as a member of another parish?

call your Diocese. They can tell you.

From my own experience, the parish you wish to join will need the permission of the parish that you live by. The parish boundaries are typically shown on their website.
In general, you are in the parish boundaries of whatever Catholic church is nearest to your house.  I do not know what practical purpose the territories serve.

I am not registered to my territorial Novus Ordo parish.  Because I'm not Methodist.  And I'm not sure they're Catholic.  Smile
WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:In general, you are in the parish boundaries of whatever Catholic church is nearest to your house. I do not know what practical purpose the territories serve.

I am not registered to my territorial Novus Ordo parish. Because I'm not Methodist. And I'm not sure they're Catholic. Smile

See thats the problem - there are 3 catholic church's fairly close to my house.

1 with a priest who is not the greatest in many ways {St. John Neumann}, 1 with a priest from a foreign country that I can't understand a word he is saying {St. Thomas More}, and one a little further {that I know I'm NOT in the boundaries of} that offers the TLM with separate priests {St Pius X}.

However after the mass I attended this week for Ash Wednesday, I'm considering registering at one of the inner-city parishes that is downtown {St. Mary's Downtown}. It's smaller and a much more traditional church as far as structure, the priest is good, Mass times work better with my schedule,  and it's WAY easier for me to get to {30 minutes on the Bus vs. 1hour+ each way}
If you attend an FSSP-offered Mass it is most likely within the confines of a Mater Dei Community which carries with it the full duties and responsibilities entailed with membership in any parish. That arrangement allows for dual registration between your territorial NO diocesan parish and the parish that is formed by the Community. You may also register as a member of the Community only which would be exactly the same as registering as a member of your local NO diocesan parish. This is how our priest (FSSP) has explained it to us. It seems simple to me.
 Dakotamidnight,
Quote:
Parish Registration
Question from on 03-08-2006:
Under what specific Canon Law(s) are we permitted to worship and/or register at any parish? Thank you.
Answer by Rev. Mark J. Gantley, JCL on 03-16-2006:
The notion of "registering" with a parish is not found in universal canon law. It may be reguated by the particular law of a diocese which may permit registration outside of one's territory. Parish registration is extremely helpful for pastoral planning in a parish, and I encourage it in my own parish. However, a person's parish membership in canon law is defined by where one lives (that is, a given territory), not by registration. (A person might also be a member of a personal parish based on ethnicity, language group, etc.) Still, I think that is within the authority of a diocesan bishop to legislate in his diocese and permit registrations in other parishes as an alternate means of membership. After all, the primary reason for having parish membership be defined by territory is to make sure that everyone has a parish and that no one falls through the cracks. I can think of good reasons why a person might want to register and become members of a neighboring parish (e.g., the neighboring parish has a Catholic school and one's own parish does not). With regard to worship, there are also no rules about where one must worship. In fact, there seems to be broad freedom in this, recognized implicitly by such statements as, "A person who assists at a Mass celebrated anywhere in a Catholic rite either on the feast day itslef or in the evening of the preceding day satisfies the obligation of participating in the Mass" (canon 1248.1)

I swiped this from EWTN Q&A. Go to their search page "any expert", "any forum" "2008" there are more answers. It seems to me ordinarily one should be a member of the one closest to you, but it's not carved in stone. For a good reason one can join any. But that's just MY interpretation.
Let me go find my flak jacket! [Image: laff.gif]

Sinner Wrote: It seems to me ordinarily one should be a member of the one closest to you, but it's not carved in stone.

That's right. Of course, any Catholic can worship at any Catholic Church at any time. But if you are registered at the parish within your boundaries, and you'd like to switch to a parish that is outside your boundaries, it's often considered a courtesy to get a letter of acknowledgment from the pastor you are leaving. Otherwise, you simply register at the new parish, filling out the usual form of questions. We have many parishioners who live outside our parish boundaries.

- Lisa
Each diocesan parish has an assigned boundary (it's "legal description", if you will), and in the old days one was considered a member of the parish within who's boundaries they were resident (which, in a town with several parishes, might not necessarily be the church they were actually closest to, depending on how the lines were drawn).  I suspect there are some canons that address this matter, but I know nothing of canon law.

This reminds me of a story, though, I heard about one of my uncles.  In 1953 the Diocese of Yakima was erected from parts of the dioceses of Seattle and Spokane (Seattle was raised to archepiscopal dignity about the same time).  The Vatican had the bad manners to place my uncle's farm in the new Diocese of Yakima (they used the Cascade mountain range to the west and the Columbia River to the east as the dividing lines - he was on the wrong side of the river by a few miles).  Every Sunday his family would drive past the Yakima Diocese church in Grand Coulee, WA, cross the river, and go to Mass at the Spokane Diocese church in Coulee Dam, WA.  My uncle would put a check in the collection basket.  Every Monday the priest would take that check, endorse it, and send it over to the parish where my uncle's family were canonical members (I'm sure my uncle wasn't pleased), but that was old school.

Today, at least here in the west, "parish shopping" isn't usually considered a  protestant thing to do, like it once was.

If you want to know which parish you are a canonical member of, they should be able to tell you at any of the parish offices.  If there is one parish you like more than the others, and it isn't the one you live in, go talk to the priest, and he will most likely tell you that you are welcome, and allow you to register.

In any event, you are free to attend Mass, go to confession, and drop coin into the collection basket of any parish you choose.  Parish registration may be a issue though if you are arranging marriage, a funeral, baptism, enrolling children in CCD or a parochial school, and those kinds of things.
How does one justify giving money to a Novus Ordo Parish?
Pages: 1 2