FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Historical revisionism is not unknown in Catholic circles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
It is interesting that the Church, in general, has looked very kindly on historical revisionism in recent years, not the least because it has helped clear the fog of prejudice in the areas of studies of the inquisition and the reputation of Pope Pius XII.

It is surprising therefore that so many clerics will not allow the same level of revision of the historical evidence for the 'holocaust.'

1) the Inquisition
Most serious Catholics know that the inquisition was not at all what the 19th century propagandists and the movie industry have made it out to be. In fact from an objective viewpoint (advocated by historical revisionists) it was an improvement of the justice system then in place, to ensure that heretics were given a fair and just trial. Also, the overall deaths associated with it fail in comparison to almost any similar event in history. (I think it is close to about 3,000) over a few hundred years.

2) Pope Pius XII
Recent historians are tending to now tease through the media inspired prejudice against Pope Pius XII and are now slowly accepting that he acted either reasonably responsibly or with great tact and foresight to save as many lives as possible. This again was the result of revisionists being allowed to review the evidence, in the face of mounting opposition.

So given that the Church owes historical revisionists something, and have benefited from their ability to freely investigate events in the past, why is the Vatican so against an open and free discussion of all issues related to the 'holocaust'?

It just doesn't make any sense.... any ideas?
The Catholic Church used to encourage the study of anti-Christian conspiracy. Now it pretends to that such conspiracies no longer exist. It pretends that it can be reconciled with 1789.

That it is an essential part of the Church crisis, the failure to mark the enemies of the Church.
Most priests would say they have no interest or concern with Freemasonry.  I have never heard a single homily in which the danger of Freemasonry was mentioned.  I think it's a taboo subject, as the existence of hell seems to be.
You want some real history that's unknown, read about the Cristero rebellion of the 1920s.

A virtual crusade (though not a technical crusade) happened in Mexico in the last century. This is an verboten subject in Mexico and the United States. In Mexico the Masonic government ultimately won against the Christian forces (the Cristeros would have undoubtedly won had they been given a free hand), and so the Cristero Wars are forbidden to be taught in schools. In the Protestant United States, the US government and the America Catholic bishops worked together to undermine the Catholic rebellions. The Vatican and the American bishops told the Cristeros to lay down their arms. They did. Whereupon the Masons came in and massacred all of them. This is one of the best examples of backroom tretchery in modern times, and it's never taught in schools, neither government nor diocesan.
Revisionists have a political agenda and manipulate historical evidence in pursuit of that agenda.  They try to justify this by hiding under the mantra of free speech.

The attack on the reputation of Piux XII and the "popular" notions of the Inquisition are the result of revisionism, not proper history. Protestant blowhards are to blame for false notions about the Inquisition, while the Communists launched a smear campaign against the Pontiff, which gained notoriety with the play, "The Deputy," produced in 1963 by Rolf Hochhuth (who is incidentally a friend of famous revisionist David Irving).

PeterII Wrote:Revisionists have a political agenda and manipulate historical evidence in pursuit of that agenda.  They try to justify this by hiding under the mantra of freedom of speech.
This is yet another strong argument to repeal the destructive holocaust laws.
It may depend which revisionist history you read: from the time of the Nativists till today, there are many books put out by protestant groups which claim that the Catholic Church is behind the moral and political decline of society!
Robhaidheuch Wrote:Most priests would say they have no interest or concern with Freemasonry.  I have never heard a single homily in which the danger of Freemasonry was mentioned.  I think it's a taboo subject, as the existence of hell seems to be.
I'm not sure it's taboo so much as just not considered.  Around here, most people think of Masons as just another men's group, no more sinister than the Elks or Lion's Club.  If a priest started going after Masons in a homily, people would look at him like he was expounding on the evils of Waffle House.
Mhoram Wrote:
Robhaidheuch Wrote:Most priests would say they have no interest or concern with Freemasonry.  I have never heard a single homily in which the danger of Freemasonry was mentioned.  I think it's a taboo subject, as the existence of hell seems to be.
I'm not sure it's taboo so much as just not considered.  Around here, most people think of Masons as just another men's group, no more sinister than the Elks or Lion's Club.  If a priest started going after Masons in a homily, people would look at him like he was expounding on the evils of Waffle House.

Exactly   One time I was taking summer classes at a local Catholic college and a very old Austrian man was teaching Early Modern European History.  When he started in on the Freemasons one of the boys in the back of the class got them confused with the Shriners and asked when they started driving around in those little cars...
The Shriners are a subsidiary of the Freemasons--all Shriners must be Freemasons.

I'm not sure how conspiratorial your local branches of the Freemasons are these days (or even the higher ups). I tend to think they are generally like the Elk's Club, etc. in practice (though still not in principle). Since the principles that make them contrary to the Catholic faith pretty much permeate western society, there's really not much reason to join them for those reasons in particular anymore. You don't need to be a member of a secret society to advocate naturalist and anti-Catholic principles.

Pages: 1 2 3