FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Actions of JPII
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
What were some of the things that Pope John Paul II did during his pontificate that trads don't like, and why?  Thanks.

Jon
Probably the excommunication of Abp Lefebvre and the four bishops, Assisi, and the Kissing of the Koran. Those are the biggies, but I'm sure you'll get your fill of more from others.

- Lisa
He didn't defend the Church against heresy and liberalism and he didn't support the efforts of Archbishop Lefebvre and other traditionalists.
How about the shorter list - things we do like:

Speaking out against abortion, condemning the concept of women priests, etc.

Really, it serves no purpose to dwell on the bad stuff unless a specific item is being discussed.  Though, I have to admit I can launch an avalanche when I hear him called "the Great".

To Lisa's list I would add as biggies his personal concepts of  "collegiality" and "ecumenism" and what happened as a result of those (Assisi and kissing the Koran would fall under his personal concept of ecumenism).
Having the unvarnished audacity to mangle The Most Holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary with his 'Luminous Mysteries'. This, from the erstwhile 'Marian' pope.
Yes I do agree with Quis. Trads focus way too much on the 'bad.' I personally don't think he was a very good pope. I myself would rank him and Paul VI as the worst popes of the 20th century.

But there really is no reason to dwell on every little bad he did.

He was very vocal against abortion, contraception, euthanasia women priests and lifting the celibacy laws in the West. One of his last actions was to condemn the state-sanctione dmurder of Terri Schiavo.I am also eternally grateful to him for the Fraternity of St. Peter.
Assisi.
JonW Wrote:What were some of the things that Pope John Paul II did during his pontificate that trads don't like, and why?  Thanks.

Jon
    Allowing other religions to worship at St. Francis of Assisi's Cathedral.  Kissing the Koran.  Giving communion to a non-catholic.  I can't think of his name.  Why? all are sacreligious acts.  He also lost much of Western Europe to secularism.  Though it might not be entirely his fault.  He was at the helm while it happened.  During his papacy, trying to convert others to the Catholic faith was abandoned. 
Gerard Wrote:He didn't defend the Church against heresy and liberalism

He didn't? There are some liberation theologians and wannabe women priestesses who would disagree.
jacobhalo Wrote:He also lost much of Western Europe to secularism.  Though it might not be entirely his fault.  He was at the helm while it happened.

Friend, I say this in all charity: if you think Pope Jo. Paul was responsible, even to a notable extent, for Europe's walking away from the Faith, you don't know the history of Europe.

What we're seeing now has its definite roots in the nineteenth century (one could argue the sixteenth), and this unbelief began to rear its defiant head just before WWI.

You may be familiar with the efforts of Pope Benedict XV who pleaded with all the nations of Europe to reconsider the forthcoming Great War. No one, not even the "Catholic" countries, listened.

The current apostasy has been going on for a long time.

While it is a known fact Jo. Paul make a strategic decision to abandon Europe in favor of foreign mission fields, it's only because there was already little to be done in order to save the continent. To be honest, while it's heroic that Pope Benedict wishes to salvage what's left of European Christianity, I do think he will sadly fail.

Europe's arrogant, Europe's pagan. They have no one to blame but themselves.
Pages: 1 2 3 4