FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Objective Encyclopedia Sets?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If I were to invest in a decent set of encyclopedias, which would be the most objective in terms of its treatment of the Church and related matters -- Encyclopedia Americana, Encyclopædia Britannica, Collier's Encyclopedia, etc.?  (In addition to fair, ideally I would like the encyclopedias to be as extensive as possible.) 

Additionally, can anyone recommend free online encyclopedia sites of merit, online encyclopedias other than Wikipedia? 

Miquelot Wrote:If I were to invest in a decent set of encyclopedias, which would be the most objective in terms of its treatment of the Church and related matters -- Encyclopedia Americana, Encyclopædia Britannica, Collier's Encyclopedia, etc.?  (In addition to fair, ideally I would like the encyclopedias to be as extensive as possible.) 

Additionally, can anyone recommend free online encyclopedia sites of merit, online encyclopedias other than Wikipedia? 

Interestingly, I'd recommend wikipedia over all of what is available for general information.

Wikipedia is the most up to date and researched single source of information. I have yet to see its equal. It, like any encyclopedia, should not be used as a primary source though. Many seem to forget that.
ONeill Wrote:Wikipedia is the most up to date and researched single source of information. I have yet to see its equal. It, like any encyclopedia, should not be used as a primary source though. Many seem to forget that.

Gonna have to go with ONeill on this one. For all the griping over the site, it's really on par with, or even superior to, many printed encyclopedias. I know of professors who have deliberately posted false information on the site. It was corrected almost immediately. It's not perfect, but it's pretty darn good.
Encyclopedias are inventions of the Enlightenment and should be shunned!

[Image: grouchosmiley.gif]
Miquelot Wrote:If I were to invest in a decent set of encyclopedias, which would be the most objective in terms of its treatment of the Church and related matters -- Encyclopedia Americana, Encyclopædia Britannica, Collier's Encyclopedia, etc.?  (In addition to fair, ideally I would like the encyclopedias to be as extensive as possible.) 

Well, the Catholic Encyclopedia would be a good start:

http://www.newadvent.org

QuisUtDeus Wrote:

Well, the Catholic Encyclopedia would be a good start:

http://www.newadvent.org

That one I know.  But it doesn't cover much 20th century history.