FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Ember Week of Lent
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
It's Ember Week.  Fast and partial abstinence today and Saturday.   Of course full abstinence on Friday.  All of you people over 60 yrs old don't have to fast.
Ooopps. Just finished a cheesesteak.
Doesn't the Lenten fast make the Ember Day fast rather superfluous?
INPEFESS Wrote:Doesn't the Lenten fast make the Ember Day fast rather superfluous?

Fast days have been relegated only to Ash Wednesday and Good Friday by Rome.  Of course that isn't the case with traditional Catholics who go to the effort to make a little sacrifice although it is no longer a Church mandate.  Maybe I'm wrong.
Vincentius Wrote:Fast days have been relegated only to Ash Wednesday and Good Friday by Rome.  Of course that isn't the case with traditional Catholics who go to the effort to make a little sacrifice although it is no longer a Church mandate.  Maybe I'm wrong.

I don't think INPEFESS was saying Ember Day fasting is silly or arcane, but rather that customarily the entirety of Lent maintains a rather tight fast anyway. As such, it's redundant to recommend fasting on a day already set aside for the act.
For many the whole Ember Day fasting calendar can be very confusing to calculate and remember.  (Ember...remember...hah.)  Seraphim Press publishes a very handy (and attractive, I might add) traditional Catholic liturgical calendar for those interested, though I cannot find their home page.  There may be others in print, but this one I have seen with my own eyes at St. Agnes (New York). 

Quote: Originally Posted by Credo
I don't think INPEFESS was saying Ember Day fasting is silly or arcane, but rather that customarily the entirety of Lent maintains a rather tight fast anyway. As such, it's redundant to recommend fasting on a day already set aside for the act.

Yes, that is what I was saying. Considering the Lenten fast requires that partial abstinence be observed every day save Sunday, and the Ember week fast days (Wednesday, Friday and Saturday) requires partial abstinence as well, then the Ember day fast is superfluous in light of the Lenten fast - we couldn't have meat anyway because of the Lenten fast.

Or maybe I've completely mixed up...
Partial abstinence -- at least one meal should consist of fish only -- is no longer required by Canon Law.  Traditional Catholics who adhere to the old discipline, can observe this.  Partial abstinence is NOT required "everyday except Sunday," but only on certain days.

In the new Code, Fasting is only required on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.  I only mentioned fasting on Ember days because some of us might want to observed the old discipline, which is not now required by Law. 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:Canon 1250  All Fridays through the year and the time of Lent are penitential days and times throughout the entire Church.
Canon 1251  Abstinence from eating meat or another food according to the prescriptions of the conference of bishops is to be observed on Fridays throughout the year unless they are solemnities; abstinence and fast are to be observed on Ash Wednesday and on the Friday of the Passion and Death of Our Lord Jesus Christ. 
Canon 1252  All persons who have completed their fourteenth year are bound by the law of abstinence; all adults are bound by the law of fast up to the beginning of their sixtieth year. Nevertheless, pastors and parents are to see to it that minors who are not bound by the law of fast and abstinence are educated in an authentic sense of penance.

Can. 1253  It is for the conference of bishops to determine more precisely the observance of fast and abstinence and to substitute in whole or in part for fast and abstinence other forms of penance, especially works of charity and exercises of piety.

Quote:In the new Code, Fasting is only required on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.  I only mentioned fasting on Ember days because some of us might want to observed the old discipline, which is not now required by Law. 

Hopefully when VII is trashed someday, the 'New Code' will go with it.

Miquelot Wrote:For many the whole Ember Day fasting calendar can be very confusing to calculate and remember.  (Ember...remember...hah.)  Seraphim Press publishes a very handy (and attractive, I might add) traditional Catholic liturgical calendar for those interested, though I cannot find their home page.  There may be others in print, but this one I have seen with my own eyes at St. Agnes (New York). 

There's a mnemonic for it:

Post Lente, post Pente, post Cruce, post Lucy.

The Ember days fall in the weeks after the first Sunday of Lent, first Sunday after Pentecost, the feast of the Holy Cross (Sept.) and the feast of St. Lucy (Dec.). Except I think Pius XII or someone regularized so that they come at the same time every year, but I don't know when that is.
Pages: 1 2