FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Traditionalism for Beginners
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Where does one start in being introduced to traditional Catholicism? Books, online materials?
Try reading books by Tan Books and Publishers as well as Angelus Press.
Also read "An Open Letter to Confused Catholics" and "They Have Uncrowned Him" by Archbisop Lefebvre... This wil set you in the right direction.
JustaServant Wrote:Where does one start in being introduced to traditional Catholicism? Books, online materials?

I hope that's a typo and not cryptic commentary (traditio-analism?) in your thread heading, though I admit many of us trads are sticklers for liturgical propriety.   [Image: wink.gif]

http://fisheaters.com/traditionalcatholicism.html

I'd also recommend finding a good book on Vatican II such as The Rhine Flows Into the Tiber. Do some research on the New Mass; I'd suggest reading apologists for both sides, i.e., those who think the New Mass is the "abomination of desolation" and those who think there's nothing wrong with it when done correctly. It'd be good to form a balanced opinion.

If you want traditional spirituality and devotions, check out this website: http://www.catholictradition.org , specifically http://www.catholictradition.org/Classic...assics.htm for some really good online works on becoming a better Catholic.

I might be able to pull some more stuff for you in a bit, but I'm in the middle of some research for a paper. Hope this helps! God bless.
anamchara Wrote:
JustaServant Wrote:Where does one start in being introduced to traditional Catholicism? Books, online materials?

I hope that's a typo and not cryptic commentary (traditio-analism?) in your thread heading, though I admit many of us trads are sticklers for liturgical propriety.   [Image: wink.gif]

Typo fixed by me, though, I agree it may have been more accurate than we would like to admit. ;)
 JustaServant,

Since you have online access, I would recommend the website http://www.traditionalcatholicsermons.org It has various priests speaking about the Catholic faith on a myriad of subjects, with keen insight on the current problems we as Catholics today. 

As for reading material, or should I say to enhance one's spiritual relationship with our Lord and our Lady, I highly advise you to read St Louis de Montfort's works and consecrate yourself as a slave to our Blessed Mother.  By doing this, you will be giving yourself and all you have to our Lady.  She will guide you by the hand in a special way, if we only submit ourselves fully to God's will for us.   There are a couple of versions of "Total Consecration to the the Blessed Virgin Mary" according to the method of St Louis de Montfort now that have everything under one cover, as to there being no such book a little over ten years ago.  I believe Angelus Press has one version, St Benedict's Center has another.  No matter where one is coming from(liturgically speaking),  for advancement in holiness, holy slavery to our Blessed Mother can't be stressed enough.

I hope this helps.

Joe

Being a traditional Catholic really means being a Catholic. The distinction is made because of problems in the Church which need to be resolved.
Although my personal opinion is that the Pauline mass was not needed and was created for reasons that didn't really warrant a change, the strong rejection of it is not an important part of being a traditional Catholic, although the problems associated with the NO mass (including the mass itself in some areas) cannot be denied.
Thanks for the resources. Keep them coming.
I am a revert back to the Catholic Church after twenty years. I grew up in a Vatican 2 Catholic school, but my parents went to a Latin Mass church in Pittsburgh. I've been back in the Catholic Church for a year and a half now (my wife and daughter are new converts to the Catholic Church). I don't mind the Norvus Ordo Mass we have here, the priest is a good man and quite conservative. But I miss the Latin Mass. When I visited Pittsburgh last year I attended St. Boniface, and it was so beautiful. I felt like I was really in church. I miss the reverance, the mystery.
You might want to get some CDs of Gregorian Chant for home use. Hearing it can be great for the soul especially when you don't get it at church.
QuisUtDeus Wrote:
anamchara Wrote:

Typo fixed by me, though, I agree it may have been more accurate than we would like to admit. ;)

Thanks. It was early Sunday morning and I only started my first cup of coffee.[Image: smile.gif]
Pages: 1 2 3