FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Parish boundaries question.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I decided to enter the Church this past November, so I started looking at the different parish websites. I noticed that the RCIA program at the parish closest to my home, St. Rita's, started in August, so I figured it was too late to join them. At the time, I did not know that all RCIA programs started at the same time, so I contacted other parishes in my area. One parish, Our Lady Queen of Peace, contacted me immediately and told me that I could start RCIA with them. I've been attending RCIA with OLQP since then and have never missed a class.

Fast forward to this evening: I was told that I should've informed the head pastor at my home parish about joining RCIA at another parish. I asked my RCIA director and she told me not to worry about it, but if it's canon law that I go through my home parish, should I still contact him? Any idea what will happen i.e. will I have to start RCIA over in August?

I still plan on calling the parish tomorrow to clarify, but I'm kind of nervous. I don't want to have to start over.

Thanks.

damooster Wrote:I decided to enter the Church this past November, so I started looking at the different parish websites. I noticed that the RCIA program at the parish closest to my home, St. Rita's, started in August, so I figured it was too late to join them. At the time, I did not know that all RCIA programs started at the same time, so I contacted other parishes in my area. One parish, Our Lady Queen of Peace, contacted me immediately and told me that I could start RCIA with them. I've been attending RCIA with OLQP since then and have never missed a class.

Fast forward to this evening: I was told that I should've informed the head pastor at my home parish about joining RCIA at another parish. I asked my RCIA director and she told me not to worry about it, but if it's canon law that I go through my home parish, should I still contact him? Any idea what will happen i.e. will I have to start RCIA over in August?

I still plan on calling the parish tomorrow to clarify, but I'm kind of nervous. I don't want to have to start over.

Thanks.
I doubt that they will make you start over they will probably just give you some political mumbo jumbo about how you should have contacted them first I wouldn't worry about it. RCIA is almost over they won't make you start over from scratch just because your at a different Parish. I went through RCIA and attend the parish farthest from me because its the most traditional and no one ever gave me any guff.
You have the right to belong to any parish you choose too.  I believe that the new code of canon law is extremely lenient on this matter.  If you fins peace and true religion at the parish you now attend then by all means go there.  Even if you have to ask permission from your old pastor, I'm sure that he won't disapprove so long as "it's your thing".

I belong to several parishes across the country in an "honorary member" statues.  I support them because they strike me as truly holy places that deserve as much lay support as they can get.   I guess I am still technically in the jurisdiction of my liberal suburban, NO parish but I never attend or contribute money to that place.

BTW, is the Our Lady of Peace church your talking about in Brooklyn?  I had several Sunday TLM's said there before for my mother.  This is a great parish to go to if your in Brooklyn.

Bob
There was another thread about this recently that baffled me, especially as one of the posts talked about a priest going out of his way to send an envelope to someone's 'home' parish for like, 20 years or something.

So look, this is much ado about nothing. Since *Trent* (now we're talking old school), it has been well recognized that the parish you a)attend regularly and b) do so regularly and consistently is *your* parish, period.

That's it. You can't have it both ways however, ...for example I know a couple who attended Mass in their local parish every week (pre-marriage), then when they wanted to get married, they wanted it somewhere else, due to, family or something? Anyway, they had to get permission of course, because they'd 'defined' their parish by going there regularly.

I am such a person who attends Mass outside the parish I happen to live in. It's never been a problem, and I've never had to get a letter for anything. Since I'd attended Mass at 'my' parish even before I was baptized (without taking communion of course) that was it. Case closed. When I went to get married there, get my daughter baptized, etc. not even a letter from the parish where I lived. I'm a parishioner of the parish where I attend Mass, where I drop my envelopes in the basket, am registered, etc.

Bottom line, go there, be consistent, there's no argument.

Baskerville Wrote:I went through RCIA and attend the parish farthest from me because its the most traditional and no one ever gave me any guff.

Did you talk to the pastor at your home parish prior to doing so, or did you just join their RCIA like I did?
Robb Wrote:BTW, is the Our Lady of Peace church your talking about in Brooklyn?  I had several Sunday TLM's said there before for my mother.  This is a great parish to go to if your in Brooklyn.

Bob

Bob,

I am going through the Our Lady Queen of Peace located in Arlington, VA. I actually do not plan on staying there after RCIA is over with. I intended to at first, but this particular parish is very liberal. I don't know if you guys want to hear about some of the stuff that goes on there.
Iuvenalis Wrote:Bottom line, go there, be consistent, there's no argument.

Thank you.
damooster Wrote:
Baskerville Wrote:I went through RCIA and attend the parish farthest from me because its the most traditional and no one ever gave me any guff.

Did you talk to the pastor at your home parish prior to doing so, or did you just join their RCIA like I did?
Well longish story short. I signed up at RCIA at a University parish (again not even my own parish) and after about six weeks of utter heterodoxy. The nun teaching RCIA told a baptist that was converting because he was marrying a Catholic that he could believe what he did as a baptist and still be welcome at the "table". I decided that I had had enough and quit. I began attending the old Church in town and resigned up there. I never once touched my home parish they are the most unCatholic Church in town and that includes our Baptist Churches.
damooster Wrote:I don't know if you guys want to hear about some of the stuff that goes on there.

Well at my home parish the Church is decorated with one abstract modern art crucifix and rainbow felt banners. The Priest won't follow even the NO rubrics he just makes the Mass up as he goes everytime its different and the Church is decorated with rainbow felt banners. Beat that. Oh yeah and the Priest wont elevate the Host he pretends to be an Episcopalian.
Baskerville Wrote:
damooster Wrote:I don't know if you guys want to hear about some of the stuff that goes on there.

Well at my home parish the Church is decorated with one abstract modern art crucifix and rainbow felt banners. The Priest won't follow even the NO rubrics he just makes the Mass up as he goes everytime its different and the Church is decorated with rainbow felt banners. Beat that. Oh yeah and the Priest wont elevate the Host he pretends to be an Episcopalian.
For some reason I cant edit my mistake so y'all will just have to live with my mentioning rainbow felt banners twice. Oops.
Pages: 1 2