FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: I need HELP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm sorry I didn't know where to post this. I'm not exactly looking for prayers. About a year ago a close friend of mine got pregnant and after a long ordeal her mother forced her to go through with an abortion. I did what I could to convince her not to, to try and convince her mother not to, but finally it happened. I still feel guilt for that, tremendous guilt, as though maybe I didn't do enough.

Alot of people come to me for advice about more serious problems, including yet another girl who believes she may be pregnant and I'm terrified beyond words of having another repeat of what happened before.

I've researched and researched the abortion issue almost obsessively, and every time the facts make me come down ever more strongly on the pro-life position. This makes my heart weigh down even more with the fear of what may happen if I fail to convince this girl to carry the child through the entire pregnancy (if she is pregnant, and I'm more worried now that she is).

I need all tips, help, advice, as to what I can do and what she can do... especially secular institutions or groups where she can get help in dealing with this situation.

Thank you all!
JonathanCid Wrote:I'm sorry I didn't know where to post this. I'm not exactly looking for prayers. About a year ago a close friend of mine got pregnant and after a long ordeal her mother forced her to go through with an abortion. I did what I could to convince her not to, to try and convince her mother not to, but finally it happened. I still feel guilt for that, tremendous guilt, as though maybe I didn't do enough.

A lot of people come to me for advice about more serious problems, including yet another girl who believes she may be pregnant and I'm terrified beyond words of having another repeat of what happened before.

I've researched and researched the abortion issue almost obsessively, and every time the facts make me come down ever more strongly on the pro-life position. This makes my heart weigh down even more with the fear of what may happen if I fail to convince this girl to carry the child through the entire pregnancy (if she is pregnant, and I'm more worried now that she is).

I need all tips, help, advice, as to what I can do and what she can do... especially secular institutions or groups where she can get help in dealing with this situation.

Thank you all!

Remember that it is God's work that we do and that we are only instruments. 

First off pray, as if the baby's life depended on it, as it does!

Also, remember that God gives us all free will and that the person's who are considering abortion all have free will and can choose to go through with an abortion in spite of your best efforts.  God knows that you have tried your best, to convince the mother to have her baby and he will reward you for all of your efforts.

I'm not saying this about you personally (probably isn't true of you at all), but it could become a matter of pride for some people in numbers of "babies saved."

Again, first and foremost it is God's work that you do.  Knowing how disappointed you were that the first mother aborted her baby, think of the affront to God, Himself.

This time may work out better than the last.  Pick yourself up, dust the dirt off your legs and carry on.  You are doing a tremendous work for our Lord.  It is your efforts that count.

But let me warn you, sometimes when you thwart the devil in his work, he turns on you.  But God's grace is sufficient.

You'll be in my prayers.  Let us know how it goes.
First thing you do is realise you don't have the means to provide (unless you do; most people do not) and direct her to places that do.
There are many agencies available for dealing with just these issues. Find a Catholic church, they will have information on agencies for dealing with this.
I once went into the office of the church I go to (I'm not an official member), and they had pamphlets on what to do. 
Perhaps the Sisters of Life can help if they are in your area. I am truly sorry that you are facing this - and no matter the result - know that you have been a sign of Grace to your friend.

http://www.sistersoflife.org/
Even in the best of times and relationships we have only a very limited control over the wills of other people. You did what you could. Don't beat yourself up over a crime you ultimately didn't have a had in committing.
Show her a video from the net of a real life abortion.  It's morbid, but effective.
Birthright and other pregnancy counseling centers can help, they'll be under "Abortion Alternatives". If it helps at all, it's much more likely that she'll know a few girls, perhaps teenagers, who've given birth. It's much more common now to give the baby up for adoption than it used to be 20 years ago.
Your effort will be in my prayers, as will the girl and her unborn child.
Hello all,

First off, thank you all for your quick responses and help. I wanted to update you all and let you know that the girl in question messaged me and informed me that after a few tests she is not pregnant - so, that's a load off my shoulders. Thank God. And again, thank you all!

Plenty of love,

Jonathan