FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: What should I wear for my own funeral?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
So, I'm revising things like my will and funeral instructions, and I'm trying to figure out what I should be buried in, clothing-wise. At first, I thought of designing an all-white ensemble to symbolize the union of the Lamb and His bride at the end of time... but then, I remembered that trads typically frown when priests wear white vestments at Requiems instead of black. And then, in a thought which directly contradicts that, I remembered that before the 20th century "white wedding" phenomenon (or at least Queen Victoria's white wedding dress), white was considered a royal colour of mourning. (see portrait of Mary Queen of Scots in all-white after the death of her first husband, Francis II of France)

What do men typically get buried in for traditional Catholic funerals? Just plain black suits? But then, if I wore that, then I'd be wearing the same thing as everyone else, since everyone would go to my funeral in a black suit.... and that's just unacceptable. It'd be like a Stevus funeral.

And no, I don't actually intend to die anytime soon. But it could happen, you never know.
You're a strange man, your majesty.

I'd like to die in what I've always worn - just anything that fits.
Benno Wrote:I'd like to die in what I've always worn - just anything that fits.

That is one of the most difficult things about being me. The good thing is that clothes in the kids' sections of stores are always cheaper.

The last belt I bought was made for 12-16 year old boys and it turned out to still be too big. Good grief.
So long as I'm not reduced to ashes... ... [Image: tiphat2.gif]
Your Edwardian Mourning Coat of course.
Having donated all of your fantastic wardrobe to charity so that the common man can dress as tastefully as the King, you make a final penitential statement and set an example for your people: sackcloth and ashes, black pine box.
QuisUtDeus Wrote:Having donated all of your fantastic wardrobe to charity so that the common man can dress as tastefully as the King, you make a final penitential statement and set an example for your people: sackcloth and ashes, black pine box.

How unfitting!

His Majesty owes it to his subjects to be laid in his finest.

Stick with the THK classic black and royal purple attire.
in the buck, with the corks of your fav sotch in your eyes.

Tools get buried. Go out in style, as if befitting royalty: propped up at a dinner table, knife and fork in hand, entombed along with all your servants.

There's an American version of this:

Prop Me Up Beside the Jukebox - http://new.music.yahoo.com/videos/JoeDif...x--2141137
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/co...shroud.png

Here's an engraving of John Donne posing in a funeral shroud shortly before his death. Sadly, he apostatized to Anglicanism, but I don't imagine there's anything especially objectionable to the shroud. Perhaps there are local customs dictating how a funeral shroud is to be worn and tied?

I imagine you'd go with English custom if so.

In any case, a shroud has trad appeal. Clothes are for neocons.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5