FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: First Communion dress
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I need to find a First Communion dress for my young daughter.  (Leaflet Missal has dresses but they are short sleeve.)  Recommendations? 
For what little it's worth, Autom is pretty good...
www.autom.com

Leonard Wrote:(Leaflet Missal has dresses but they are short sleeve.)

What's wrong with short sleeves? Aesthetics?
We have this dress http://www.strasburgchildren.com/be081.html and it is gorgeous.  Sleves are elbow length.  You can have it too so long as you aren't the other trad family having 1st Communion with us.  We also have bought other dresses here.  This dress is even prettier in real life and looks antique.  The crocheted lace is off white and the dress is white.  It is so pretty!  (Caveat - I bought this in person several years ago when another child of mine wore it but from the online photo this looks like the exact same dress.)  It's currently on sale.

[Image: strasburgchildren_2045_15861240]
I wore a multi-coloured dress to my First Communion many centuries ago[Image: crazy.gif]. I don't care for those white dresses. The only person who should look like a bride is a bride. A nice knee-length frock should do.
Just my thoughts.
Dress colors - most parishes have rules.  Every parish we have been at is has been white.  Bare arms were also not allowed as well as other types of rules...
I have never heard of a parish not allowing short sleeves on little girls for First Holy Communion.
White dresses are what they are supposed to wear, but I don't like the ones that are floor length and extra puffy and look like little wedding gowns.  They should look like little girl dresses.

Like this!  [Image: 79685_NA6434.tif&tmp=prdDtIm]

I've never heard of short sleeves not being allowed either.I have seen sleeveless being forbidden (bare arms). 

BTW I love the dress I posted but do admit to being girly - however, it doesn't look like a bridal gown and it isn't puffy.  All four of my daughter LOVE it.  The oldest who wore a more modern dress wishes she had worn it.  Perhaps that's just us. [Image: smile.gif] But it is cotton and light and has no poof layers or shiny parts.  It does look very old fashion and it is close to ankle length.  These things are a matter of taste.   
ErinIsNice Wrote:I have never heard of a parish not allowing short sleeves on little girls for First Holy Communion.
White dresses are what they are supposed to wear, but I don't like the ones that are floor length and extra puffy and look like little wedding gowns.  They should look like little girl dresses.

Like this! 
[Image: 79685_NA6434.tif&tmp=prdDtIm]

St. Dominic's in Post Falls while my daughters in the past were attending there wanted dresses that go past the elbow.  When we got the pamplet on it from the nuns I was like "good luck" on finding that dress for a girl.  We got a nice dress with short sleeves at Burlington Coat Factory, and a sweater to cover the elbow bits.

What I found out when attending my daughters 1st Communion was that mothers were either sowing on the over elbow bits, or sowing the whole dress by themselves.  Ok for them, but my wife does not have time for that.  Others were just getting them custom made.

The Dominician nuns have it for the dress code that no outfit can expose the elbows.  It got real hard to find blouses or shirts or dresses like that for the warmer weather.
Sorry, I find forbidding little girls to show their elbows creepy.
Pages: 1 2 3