FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Love verses in the Bible
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi folks!

Newbie here. A niece of mine, getting married soon, asked me for a verse from the bible which relates to love, lovers, fidelity or love-friendship, not those used as traditional 'favorites' in wedding booklets. As I am poorly-educated in scriptures, I would appreciate anyone favoring me with a verse or two?

regards, ignatius ting
There are only a few in the New Testament which reference love between humans, especially romantically, but I think the best verses come from Genesis:
Genesis 2:21-25 Wrote:Then the Lord God cast a deep sleep upon Adam: and when he was fast asleep, he took one of his ribs, and filled up flesh for it.  And the Lord God built the rib which he took from Adam into a woman: and brought her to Adam. And Adam said: This now is bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called woman, because she was taken out of man. Wherefore a man shall leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they shall be two in one flesh. And they were both naked: to wit, Adam and his wife: and were not ashamed.
If you dare, you can try to find something in Canticle Of Canticles but beware, it is may be shocking to those hearing it for the first time :)
http://www.drbo.org/book/24.htm
It annoys me that St Paul's famous passage on love ("Love is... Love is... Love is not... etc") is considered by modern dim-wits to be almost exclusively to be used in marriage ceremonies! I'd say that this passage has very little to do with marriage, whereas the passage from Genesis already quoted or anything from the Canticle of Canticles is much more appropriate. Otherwise, anything with "covenant" in it seems appropriate.
Actually, I'd personally exclude the Canticle of Canticles from a marriage ceremony too. That's not about "mere" love between man and woman - it's about a more profound love (if I'm allowed to say that).

As someone in my 30s who has shunned marriage so far, how about breaking all the rules and quoting some of Paul's more controversial passages about marriage between a man and a woman? That'd shock a few people out of complacency or idealism! [Image: wink.gif] 
Since when does love have anything to do with Marriage? :tomatoes:
Orville_B_Croft Wrote:Since when does love have anything to do with Marriage? :tomatoes:

Better hope your wife doesn't see this!  [Image: rollingpin.gif]
Benno Wrote:It annoys me that St Paul's famous passage on love ("Love is... Love is... Love is not... etc") is considered by modern dim-wits to be almost exclusively to be used in marriage ceremonies!

What's worse is that people don't seem to be taking it to heart as fifty percent of marriages - Catholic too - break up.

On a side note: who said marriage was about love? It might be a really nice idea, but throughout most of time, and as a present reality in much of the world, marriage really isn't all about love.
Marriage isn't about love? If you mean romantic love, I'll concede, but how about husbands loving their wives as Christ loved the Church, and the wife responding to this selfless love with respect and submission?

I chose scripture readings for my wedding having to do with the marriage of Christ and the Church because human marriage is a type of that more "profound" love. What could be more appropriate? Isaias is full of such verses. I chose one of the psalms describing (in rather "romantic" language) the soul's longing desire for God rather than the traditional "wedding" psalm about the wife being a fruitful vine and the children like olive shoots about the table (although that is a very beautiful psalm and undoubtedly appropriate). We finished up with the verse from Apocolypse beginning "Then I saw a new Heaven and a new Earth," which goes on to describe the new Jerusalem coming down from Heaven adorned like a bride. Marriage must usually be lived in the practical everyday world, but we shouldn't forget that it is a holy sacrament pointing to more mystical realities.
Tobias chapter 8

6 So they both arose, and prayed earnestly both together that health might be given them, 7 And Tobias said: Lord God of our father, may the heavens and the earth, and the sea, and the fountains, and the rivers, and all thy creatures that are in them, bless thee. 8 Thou madest Adam of the slime of the earth, and gavest him Eve for a helper. 9 And now, Lord, thou knowest, that not for fleshly lust do I take my sister to wife, but only for the love of posterity, in which thy name may be blessed for ever and ever. 10 Sara also said: Have mercy on us, O Lord, have mercy on us, and let us grow old both together in health.
Ah, leave it to a traditionalist forum.  Someone asks for Scripture passages about love, and inevitably the post arises, "Pft, 'love' -- yeah, right!"

Yes, marriage is infinitely more than romantic stuff like sharing a favorite song while holding hands, etc.  But come on, if a married couple did not have a favorite song, or worse yet dismissed the whole concept of favorite songs as a Modernist distortion of what "marriage is really about," I'd have to say they had a pretty bizarre, lifeless, and aberrant marriage.
Pages: 1 2