FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Saint Joseph's Feast - 19 March
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Let's not forget this important feast coming thursday, one of the 10 obligated days to go to Church. I cannot wait and am counting down the days if not hours.
In the US we only have six and St. Joseph's is not one of them. Though it is still a first class feast. Are you from another country?

At my old grammer and high school we used to have a feast on that day in his honor. A real Italian one with ziti, meatballs, oranges, blessed bread and home made creme puffs.
We celebrate it here because it is my son's Feast Day...plus, we think Saint Joseph is the absolute coolest.

Mass, and then as much fun as Lent allows.

:)
It's a First Class Feast. Lent technically doesn't exist on that day. Have fun!
didishroom Wrote:It's a First Class Feast. Lent technically doesn't exist on that day. Have fun!

I didn't know that that particular technicality applied on Feast Days - I thought that it only applied to the "little Easters" of Sundays.

Don't have to tell me twice, Didishroom - Thanks!!!

[Image: salute.gif]
didishroom Wrote:In the US we only have six and St. Joseph's is not one of them. Though it is still a first class feast. Are you from another country?

At my old grammer and high school we used to have a feast on that day in his honor. A real Italian one with ziti, meatballs, oranges, blessed bread and home made creme puffs.

We just have 4 left here in Belgium where it became a national holiday. Although Saint-Joseph is our patron saint this feast is virtually forgotten, also because it is hard for people to attend. But that doesn't mean 19th of March is not one of the 10 days of obligation as set by our Mother the H. Church.
I think only a few countries celebrate St. Joseph's feast day as a holyday of obligation.  Spain, Costa Rica and the Philippines, and Belgium, are one of the few.  I'm not sure where else.
St Joseph day tables are common in Italian parishes in America (usually ones with a large contingent of Sicilians in them).  They lay out a big spread of food and you make a donation and eat all you want.  This practice is either exclusively Sicilian or Calabrese as well since my no one in my mothers foggian family seems to have heard of it before I told them.

Bob
I WISH this were a Holy Day of Obligation. This great saint deserves it. He is my patron, so naturally I will be celebrating.
Pages: 1 2