FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Taking St. Patrick out of St. Patrick's Day
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
16 years ago I went around the Army barracks where I lived and tore down all the fliers that wished everyone a "Happy Irish-American Celebration Day," and I am Irish, but I wasn't Catholic then.  And around here (in our house) it's the same way--Saint Valentine's Day, Saint Patrick's Day, etc., even if I have to insert the word "saint" when reading to the kidlets.
Gie2me Wrote:I was at work riding the elevator yesterday with two other older gentlemen. One was wearing a green shirt and the other was wearing a red shirt. I looked at the man in the red shirt, while he was already looking at me. I asked him "where is your green today?" he replied with the most serious face looking at my straight dead in the eye, "I wear red to represent the Blood shed of the prostestants killed  and murdered by the Irish Catholics."  no smile. no blink. the 3rd floor beeped and the elevator doors open and he walked out with no hesitation.

...It's good to know there are some people in this world that aren't for "shamrock day" and actually know what Saint Patricks' Day is all about. In a sense, I believe he does, but is making it his own mourning and pointing fingers day. I had no response for him...I was not expecting such an answer with seriousness. It's like he knew I was a Hard core Trad or something...it was so odd...yet, I never seen him in my whole life...

Has anyone any evidence of Protestants wearing Orange on St. Patrick's Day?

http://www.intheagora.com/archives/2009/...st_pa.html
What's big deal? The pagan holidays were "Christianized", and holidays are also "secularized".
WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:
Gie2me Wrote:I was at work riding the elevator yesterday with two other older gentlemen. One was wearing a green shirt and the other was wearing a red shirt. I looked at the man in the red shirt, while he was already looking at me. I asked him "where is your green today?" he replied with the most serious face looking at my straight dead in the eye, "I wear red to represent the Blood shed of the prostestants killed and murdered by the Irish Catholics." no smile. no blink. the 3rd floor beeped and the elevator doors open and he walked out with no hesitation.

...It's good to know there are some people in this world that aren't for "shamrock day" and actually know what Saint Patricks' Day is all about. In a sense, I believe he does, but is making it his own mourning and pointing fingers day. I had no response for him...I was not expecting such an answer with seriousness. It's like he knew I was a Hard core Trad or something...it was so odd...yet, I never seen him in my whole life...

Has anyone any evidence of Protestants wearing Orange on St. Patrick's Day?

http://www.intheagora.com/archives/2009/...st_pa.html

----------------------------

Yes. This was fairly common in the town where I grew up as an Irish speaking, Irish Catholic in NY. The vast majority of private school kids would wear Green, about 80% of the public school kids would wear Green and there'd be about 20% angry protestants wearing Orange, talking about all those bloody Irish in N.Ireland killing the protestants.

Interestingly not as much talk about England oppressing the Irish over the centuries, or about those protestants stoning (yes, stoning) Irish Catholic kids in N. Ireland.

While I support a free and unified Ireland, I am glad to see all the strides towards peace and reconciliation that have been made over the past decade-plus. All the violence was horrific to be near, and see, and while the bigotry and bickering still happens, it has reduced quite a bit.

As for St. Patrick, one of my M.Div. papers discussed the importance of Patrick's work in Ireland and the resulting reverberations of his actions into the world at large as history progressed and Ireland preserved wisdom, spirituality and the core, original teachings of Catholicism during Europe's (and the world's) dark times. His importance to Catholicism and Christianity as a whole cannot be underestimated (as it often is) or over-spiritualized into a 'celtic-Christianity' amalgam (again as it often is).

Regards,
Dionys
Quote:big deal? no one said there was a "big Deal"
it's just another pathetic protest against Our faith, to spit on us using Saint Patricks' feast day wearing "orange" war colors... I don't mind it. They can look like grouchy oompa loopas if they want to ...doesn't bother me.

Who's spitting on you? If that's spitting on someone, then I'd have to imagine that Christians spit on pagans when they Christianized the pagan holidays. That's my point. It's not any more a protest against your faith, than Christianizing pagan holidays was a protest against the pagans - or was it? And if it was, then how do you suppose that Christians should find it proper to protest and spit on the pagans, but resent the secular world's doing so to Christians?
I never said it was. You may review what I did say.
In regards to this, you said that it was a protest and a spitting on the Church. I responded to that by drawing comparison to the Church's Christianization of holidays. Pagan holidays were Christianized, and Christian holidays (St. Patrick's Day) are secularized.
Gie2me Wrote:...I had no idea there was a little color war on Saint Patricks' Fesat day! Jeeez la-weeeeeeeeeeeeez is the world blinded by the commercialized holidays....

I have yet to see orange...just the red shirt guy in the elevator

And I've got another colour contention for you all. Did you know that until the 20th century, the colour most associated with St. Patrick was NOT green, but blue? St. Patrick's Blue, to be specific.

As you can see in the standard of the President of Ireland below, the colour behind the harp is St. Patrick's Blue.

[Image: 638px-Flag_President_of_Ireland.svg.png]

The same appears in the bottom-left quadrant of the coat of arms of the United Kingdom.

[Image: 200px-UK_Royal_Coat_of_Arms.svg.png]

In the coat of arms of Dublin:

[Image: Dublin_city_coa.gif]

And the Flag of Munster:

[Image: 300px-Flag_of_Munster.svg.png]

Green is for modernists.
Is corned beef and cabbage an Irish dish?  Is Guinness a Prot beer?  Was reading over at amconmag.com's blog and the claim is that cb&c isn't Irish, and Guinness is a Prot product.  If so, what should I plan for next year?
Underdog Wrote:If so, what should I plan for next year?
  Fajitas!  With some beer, of coarse...  Let me put my Obama bin Lyin' hat on, and I'll find an Irish connection in there, somewhere.
Pages: 1 2 3