FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Requiem for my father: a rant
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
THK, also remember that you don't have to get this all accomplished at the same time.  Put them in an order of immediacy (not the same as order of importance) and work on them like that.
WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:THK, also remember that you don't have to get this all accomplished at the same time.  Put them in an order of immediacy (not the same as order of importance) and work on them like that.

I agree. That way you can devote yourself more thoughtfully to what you would like for your father.
HK, Quis mentioned calling the newspaper and having an obituary printed and that there might be a small fee.  Our experience in 1996 was that newspapers will only accept obituaries from funeral homes (because of pranksters) and that the fee can be quite large.  My mother-in-law died here but wanted her obit in her hometown paper, which cost $250!   And that was for a short, basic obit, no photo, no personal details beyond names of surviving family.  So just be prepared for this possibility. 

I am sorry to learn of your father's death and the way the funeral was handled.  It's good that you're going to have a Mass said and I'm sure your dad appreciates it.

PaxVobiscum Wrote:HK, Quis mentioned calling the newspaper and having an obituary printed and that there might be a small fee. Our experience in 1996 was that newspapers will only accept obituaries from funeral homes (because of pranksters) and that the fee can be quite large. My mother-in-law died here but wanted her obit in her hometown paper, which cost $250! And that was for a short, basic obit, no photo, no personal details beyond names of surviving family. So just be prepared for this possibility.

I am sorry to learn of your father's death and the way the funeral was handled. It's good that you're going to have a Mass said and I'm sure your dad appreciates it.
Most papers advertise their fees on their websites.  Some will allow you to fill out the details of the obit.

Roy
Rant, part II:

I've called the oldest child. I've called the nursing home. I've called the county clerk's office. Why can't anyone tell me where my dad's body is!!!!????

*cries*
I'm so sorry, dear.

[Image: frown.gif]

[Image: prayer3.gif]
The_Harlequin_King Wrote:Rant, part II:

I've called the oldest child. I've called the nursing home. I've called the county clerk's office. Why can't anyone tell me where my dad's body is!!!!????

*cries*

They've..... lost..... your dad? Not normal.
okay, because you are his step child they may not legally be allowed to tell you without permission from his next of kin.

I know - it sucks.

dakotamidnight Wrote:okay, because you are his step child they may not legally be allowed to tell you without permission from his next of kin.

I know - it sucks.

It's not just me. The next-of-kin (the ones who care, that is) are having an equally frustrating time.
Wow, James, this is terrible, and now you can't find out where his body is!

I am very sad for you....

I just wanted to suggest that you contact a veterans association (VFW)--they might be not necessarily to help financially, but to join in for a fellow veteran and for anything you might not have thought of. Also if you are able to contact any who served with him.

I think it is so wonderful that you are doing all this, and I think it is wonderful that he was so good to you.
Pages: 1 2 3 4