FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: check this guy out
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Tridentine mass and my new church

Pretty good video.

The follow is incorrect in saying there are "conservative" (or "liberal" or "traditional") Catholics. One is Catholic or they are not Catholic.

He also seems to laud saying the Rosary at Mass which was and is a liturgical abuse; it's a practice which the Church has spoken out against in documents such as Marialis Cultus.
Kudos to anyone who watched it. I don't know how a person could sit through that.
Credo Wrote:The follow is incorrect in saying there are "conservative" (or "liberal" or "traditional") Catholics. One is Catholic or they are not Catholic.

While labels can be problematic (like some of the "that's not traditional enough" nonsense that goes on around here), by ignoring them are you not ignoring very real divisions between faithful practicing Catholics?
Credo Wrote:The follow is incorrect in saying there are "conservative" (or "liberal" or "traditional") Catholics. One is Catholic or they are not Catholic.

That's like saying there are no "tall" (or "short" or "average-height") humans; one is either human or not.

Adjectives work, and as long as a person is validly baptized and not a pertinacious, knowing, willing heretic, he's Catholic. Given that, I think there are definitely a lot of "conservative Catholics," some (not enough!) "traditional Catholics," and even a few "liberal Catholics" -- but in the last case, I'm guessing that most who describe themselves as such (or who could be accurately described as such) are mostly pertinacious formal heretics who havent been Catholic since they became "enlightened." Ahem.

Saying the Rosary is not a liturgical abuse.  Clown masses, cookie masses etc etc are.

Can you name any pre-vat2 document that condemns saying the rosary during mass?  Even Pope St. Pius X did not find fault with it.
Credo Wrote:He also seems to laud saying the Rosary at Mass which was and is a liturgical abuse; it's a practice which the Church has spoken out against in documents such as Marialis Cultus.

Please show me where it was called "liturgical abuse".   Marialis Cultus only states that it is a "mistake" to pray the Rosary during Mass.

And, at a Novus Ordo Mass it would be frowned upon because the "community" is supposed to "actively participate" in the Mass.  That's probably while Paul VI spoke out against it in Marialis Cultus which came long after the Novus Ordo was promulgated.

Can't have traditional practices infecting the new Mass, you know.
Of course a lay person saying the rosary during mass is not a liturgical abuse... Because lay people are not LITURGICAL MINISTERS.

Lay people can day dream, sit, sleep, go to confession, say their rosary, read a missal or do whatever they want  (within practical limits) during mass, provided they don't disrupt the service.

Of course some actions are better than others, like paying attention and praying, but my point is that the Church, and particularly the NOVUS ORDO Church, needs to worry more about what the priests are doing during the mass than the lay people in the pews.

Like the silly US Bishops trying to enforce strick rubrics for people, sitting or standing... How about spending your time worrying if the Mass is celebrated validly? and the priests aren't stealing money or doing things that are unbecoming their office?

If someone wants to say their rosary, good for them....How it could be perceived as an abuse, just shows a contempt for average people that is arrogant.
Saying the rosary is a great way to participate spiritually at Holy Mass (of course, I'm not talking about the Novus Ordo ecumenical mass). Fr. Lasance's book, My Prayer-Book has a "Eucharistic Rosary" which you can say at Mass. Meditation is another great way to pray at Mass. St. Leonard-Port Maurice, in Hidden Treasure, shows a great way to meditate at Mass very much in line with the advice of St. Padre Pio. The great thing about meditation and the rosary at Mass is that you don't need any "special equipment"--just your own soul (okay, you need the beads, but everyone carries them around all the time anyway).